MrSuave

Cat Food

Headshot
5 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

A friend just buys his cats the canned tuna. It's better and cheaper than the branded stuff he says.

Sardines are even cheaper. Then again, maybe those dried minnows they sell in the market might be even cheaper. Just don't let a Filipina cook them, or they will stink up your home.

• Like 2

Kreole

I do caution you about buying 5 kg of fish guts and scraps and then feeding your cats over a few days period.  That stuff gets pretty rancid and smelly even when you keep it in a cold frig.  Unless you freeze it, then I would consider other options.  Since most people here on the forum have only a few cats, it should be no problem cooking fresh fish and rice.  The proportions are important since the point is to give the cats lots of protein and a safe filler for bulk.   For example:

Porportions: 2 kg of fresh or frozen fish to 10 cups of rice, preferably small fish as the bones are easily softened and dissolve.  I do not recommend the very tiny fish because it turns to gelatin very quickly.  You can use these proportions as a guide, and from there scale down.  Adding more fish to the mix is a plus.  I feed my cats 2 times a day; otherwise they just get fat and picky about what they will eat.

I cook the fish and rice in a separate pots.  The fish takes approximately 45 min to 1 hour at full boil.  When cooking the fish, use enough water to cover the fish by a couple of inches.  It turns out that 10 cups of rice also takes about the same amount of time, so both should be done.  If you scale down, it takes less time to cook the rice, so adjust accordingly.

Separate the fish from the liquid/soup and put the aside.

Let both the fish and rice cool for another hour. 

Once cooled, you can mash the fish using the bottom of a jar or cup.  This makes it much easier to blend when mixing the soup with the mashed fish.

As you blend the fish, pour the mix into another pot that is large enough for both the blended fish and the cooked rice together.

Start by adding 1/2 of the cooked rice to the blended mixture and mash together with a utensil.  Then add the other portion of cooked rice and thoroughly mash the ingredients together until the mixture is well homogenized.

Put into containers large enough for each feeding and place in the refrigerator.  For my 15 cats this lasts for 3 days feeding twice daily.

I also feed the dogs the same fish and rice, so everyone is fat and happy.

The rice is filler, but many cats like it by itself.  When you consider the toxic fillers many cat and dog food brands use, it is important to avoid store bought products that come from China.  I cannot emphasize this enough.  Some Chinese mfgrs think nothing of poisoning baby formula so pet brands would be especially vulnerable.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
14 hours ago, Kreole said:

The rice is filler, but many cats like it by itself.

Filipino cats?

Davaoeno
4 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Filipino cats?

5 times a day ! 

• Haha 1

Kreole
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Filipino cats?

I feed them 2 times a day; 10 am and 6pm.  They are free to roam around a large property and the beach, but always make it home for meals.

• Like 2

BossHog

Having an outdoor cat in the Philippines is maybe the worst thing you could do to this country. They're an invasive species and wreak havoc on the native wildlife. If you really need a cat don't ever ever  let it out-of-doors. 

It's insane to think anyone with even a modicum of education would keep a cat and let it roam around outside here.

Edited by BossHog
  • Haha 1

jtmwatchbiz
4 hours ago, BossHog said:

It's insane to think anyone with even a modicum of education would

actually listen and even worse believe anything you say.   your posted blanket insult is simply laughable and an example of what not to let happen to one's self after living here too long.  

Edited by jtmwatchbiz

Kreole
8 hours ago, BossHog said:

Having an outdoor cat in the Philippines is maybe the worst thing you could do to this country. They're an invasive species and wreak havoc on the native wildlife. If you really need a cat don't ever ever  let it out-of-doors. 

It's insane to think anyone with even a modicum of education would keep a cat and let it roam around outside here.

I agree, on an ecological level it is indefensible.  However, in the case of cats, I view them on an emotional level.  I cannot tolerate the abuse of any animals (and people) so it very difficult to walk away from a tiny abandoned kitten knowing it will die of dehydration and exposure if I do not take care of it.  That is how I came upon all of these cats as tiny kittens often placed on the side of the road to be run over by a car or die otherwise.

Of course my cats hunt birds and lizards, but seldom catch a bird since there is little evidence of feathers and the fact that they like to display their kills on my porch where they play with their food.  Of course you could argue that there are probably kills that I never see.  As predators they are also subject to being preyed upon.  I have lost at least 5 cats to a python that lives in the area although I have never seen any evidence.  A python's digestive system it is so powerful that they excrete very little of the victim.  They literally digest all of the prey including bones and hair.

A python is the most likely suspect because monitor lizards, which are able to kill cats, normally cannot pursue and outrun an adult cat.  A python is an ambush hunter that waits by a trail frequented by the cats.  Whereas a lizard would be lucky to take a cat, a cat is rarely successful in getting away from a python once it bites onto its victim.

I get all of the cats fixed so they cannot reproduce.  In addition I get them their vaccinations so they do not get or transmit rabies or parvo.  Besides feeding them and looking after their health, regretfully, there is nothing I can do to change their hunting instincts.  I live in a small cottage and cannot have indoor cats full time.  In addition I am allergic to cats which is challenging to my health.  Whereas a cat's nature is to hunt, it is my nature to care for abandoned and injured animals.

• Like 3

MrSuave
On 11/18/2018 at 8:29 AM, Dafey said:

Filipino cats?

Our cat was born and raised in Arizona. This is her third trip to the Philippines and is proud of all the stamps on her blue passport.

• Like 1

Headshot
2 hours ago, MrSuave said:

Our cat was born and raised in Arizona. This is her third trip to the Philippines and is proud of all the stamps on her blue passport.

Oh, OK...  Then don't give her rice. Go to Red Lizard in Ayala, and get her some tacos. :tease:

• Haha 1

Salty Dog

My dog is born here in the USA and he still likes rice.

But then he likes pretty much everything...:rolleyes:

• Like 1