GBT62

one of my basil plants got a little bent though by the roof overflow with no gutters .... 

image.png.c13f095ccdf4e39ef6d75492424f5baf.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Headshot

This is the kind of storm (and the warnings that went with it) that causes people to not pay attention to warnings when a real storm comes along. The country needs to revise their policies on issuing warnings and closing schools. The "signal one" based on waves and rain potential is obviously NOT a good indicator of storm strength. It rained at my house a total of twenty minutes yesterday, with no wind (no more than produced by the average tropical thunder storm). But because "signal one" was declared, my daughter was out of school for two days.

• Like 2

cookie47
This is the kind of storm (and the warnings that went with it) that causes people to not pay attention to warnings when a real storm comes along. The country needs to revise their policies on issuing warnings and closing schools. The "signal one" based on waves and rain potential is obviously NOT a good indicator of storm strength. It rained at my house a total of twenty minutes yesterday, with no wind (no more than produced by the average tropical thunder storm). But because "signal one" was declared, my daughter was out of school for two days.
Quite agree, (see my post Cyclone Tracy Darwin)

My area of Consolacion got only 2x 20 minutes of Medium to Heavy rain otherwise only overcast.

To be fair to the forecasters are in a no win situation. Typhoons do dart around and change directions and then turn into a tropical depression which is somewhat of a lesser evil.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Woolf
1 minute ago, cookie47 said:

Typhoons do dart around and change directions and then turn into a tropical depression which is somewhat of a lesser evil.

huuuuh ??

this storm was never a typhoon, was always a tropical depression, did not develop to a typhoon

cookie47

Ok,, Mr politically correct.

So what. YES i know it wasn't an accual Typhoon cause I've been through three......74, 84, 86, , I was just commenting on the end result. As Headshot said little rain in his area. Having no children i was not put in an inconvenient position regarding school.

HOWEVER....

Then why was it mentioned as a
Cyclone warning no1 on the weather department website.

Below is a copy.

Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal (TCWS) No. 1 is raised over Palawan, including Calamian Group of Islands.

As Headshot implies, if we get into the habit of dismissing information we might get a bit slack and end up with what happened in Darwin....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

petecebu

Whatever the 'severity', the good news is that it caused no catastrophic damage  and loss of lives as has happened in the past. That's a blessing.

• Like 2

JohnSurrey
10 hours ago, Headshot said:

Agreed it's gone bonkers here:

Knowing our children's school was going to be closed yesterday enabled us to book a van and go shopping in Ormoc.

It was quite a nice day - little bit of rain etc.

So why was the school closed?

I found out from my wife today that residents along the beach areas in Baybay were forced to evacuate their homes and go to the evacuation centres (the schools).

I have to admit if I lived on or near the beach here and I'd been carried out of my home and made to sit in the school gym etc. I'd have been v pissed off.