Sign in to follow this  
cookie47

Electric Bike and Sidecar

GBT62
3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I was quite surprised how fast they claim it goes.

It ought to do ok. 45kW is 60 HP ..... more than enough.

My MTB has a 250W motor - that'll get me to 25kph on the hand throttle if I hit a big climb - it's limited to that.

So 45kW .... quite a volt jolt :D

Call me a purist - but I prefer the sound of a single or twin on that instead  - wonder if they'd do a hybrid :)

• Like 2

cookie47
It ought to do ok. 45kW is 60 HP ..... more than enough.
My MTB has a 250W motor - that'll get me to 25kph on the hand throttle if I hit a big climb - it's limited to that.
So 45kW .... quite a volt jolt 
Call me a purist - but I prefer the sound of a single or twin on that instead  - wonder if they'd do a hybrid
Yes as far as noise is concerned I'm with you.
I've copied and pasted a small section of a website that deals with this problem as a pedestrian.

With today's technology it wouldn't be too hard to put a big speaker behind the grill and send out (car noises).

Nice V8 AMG sound would be awesome. Hehe....OR, Shelby Mustang,

Copy and pasted...........

Well, this is what has some people worried. When EVs are traveling at low speeds (below 30 km/h) they are virtually silent. This presents a problem to pedestrians, cyclists, and construction/city workers whose jobs take them close to busy streets. We are used to not only looking for vehicles before crossing the street but also listening for them. According to a report from 2015, pedestrians are 40 percent more likely to be hit by a hybrid or electric car than by one with a gas or diesel engine in the UK.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Headshot
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Yes as far as noise is concerned I'm with you.

Well, this is what has some people worried. When EVs are traveling at low speeds (below 30 km/h) they are virtually silent. This presents a problem to pedestrians, cyclists, and construction/city workers whose jobs take them close to busy streets. We are used to not only looking for vehicles before crossing the street but also listening for them. According to a report from 2015, pedestrians are 40 percent more likely to be hit by a hybrid or electric car than by one with a gas or diesel engine in the UK.

I like the "vroom vroom" sound of a big bike too, but a silent bike shouldn't cause any problems for pedestrians in the Philippines. People here use their horns so much that pedestrians will hear them coming with or without engine sound.

• Like 1

Jawny

I hadn’t considered this before, but electric vehicles may contribute to another problem here.....driving without lights. Many drivers of fueled vehicles will claim they save fuel by running with lights off. I guess the idea is the use of lights will cause the engine to consume more fuel. 

Won’t be long before electric vehicle owners will come to the same conclusion, and with greater frequency. 

BTW, the reason horns are usedso much is both a courtesy to others and economical. The courtesy is to be sure the people in the way get OUT OF THE WAY as well as it is cheaper to replace a worn out horn than worn out brakes. 

• Like 1

Semper paratus

I know someone in Dumaguete that has been waiting about 2 years for replacement batteries for his electric vehicle. So it just sits there. Buyer beware.

• Like 1

lamoe
1 hour ago, Semper paratus said:

I know someone in Dumaguete that has been waiting about 2 years for replacement batteries for his electric vehicle. So it just sits there. Buyer beware.

A battery is a battery - he could rig up any comparable one(s)

Example my drone  came with a 7.4 V 1,800 Mah one - bought 7.4 V 2,500 Mah ones at half the cost - work fine

If he wants to sell it let me know

Edited by lamoe

Semper paratus
47 minutes ago, lamoe said:

A battery is a battery - he could rig up any comparable one(s)

Example my drone  came with a 7.4 V 1,800 Mah one - bought 7.4 V 2,500 Mah ones at half the cost - work fine

If he wants to sell it let me know

Contact Bud Brown, you have probably seen some of his videos on here.

• Thanks 1

lamoe
10 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Contact Bud Brown, you have probably seen some of his videos on here.

Sent msg.

• Like 1

towboat72

Also have friend has electric bike.Battery will not hold charge,still under warranty,. They keep telling him battery is not available sir,so it just sits.

• Thanks 1

RR3
On 11/13/2018 at 5:55 PM, Jawny said:

BTW, the reason horns are usedso much is both a courtesy to others and economical. The courtesy is to be sure the people in the way get OUT OF THE WAY as well as it is cheaper to replace a worn out horn than worn out brakes. 

Pinoy use horn all the time, even on empty road. My theory is that pinoy use horn 'cause they afraid, feel alone, so they push the horn to feel like home where always kara-oke/tv/radio on full volume.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

lamoe
15 minutes ago, RR3 said:

Pinoy use horn all the time, even on empty road. My theory is that pinoy use horn 'cause they afraid, feel alone, so they push the horn to feel like home where always kara-oke/tv/radio on full volume.

There is actually a procedure to using it I've been told

A light tap to let them know they're about to run you over

2 taps to let pedestrians know you're about to run them over

I prefer the long blast which does seem to upset them when they go from the innermost circle at Fuentes to the outermost in a straight line and for motors who like to turn inside you (left / right)  since they are accustomed to the Pinoy way of using 1 1/2 to 2 lanes to make a creeping turn :tease:

Edited by lamoe
  • Haha 1

RR3

Theory n:o 2: Pinoy has no working brakes so they give You horn. Anyways they never slow down whatever obstacle, only give horn

• Like 1

Woolf
10 minutes ago, lamoe said:

A light tap to let them know they're about to run you over

a light tap means salalat (thank you)

2 taps   indicate  you are passing now

Jawny

My favorite sort of honking is done by a motorcycle as it is overtaking. This happens so frequently I assume it is some sort of "rule ofthe road". 

Of course, a honk is a very useful way for a motorcycle to reveals its position.  So, that suggests that it is a warning. Like...HONK!....I am about to overtake you.  Please don’t move over.  

Lots of useful info in that single HONK!  

The only issue I have with the technique is that whenever I hear the honk....it is AFTER the motorcycle has already passed me.  So, no warning was given.  More of a "I am in front....I WIN!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2