Sign in to follow this  
Bob Ward

Foiled Picpocket Attempt

udonthani

anybody that carries a wallet especially in tropical climes needs their head examining. For one, a thief couldn't possibly imagine getting their hands on anything else so small and easy to snatch that might have quite a lot of cash and cards in it. For another, they're relatively heavy and bulky and they are easily visible considering nobody ever wears heavy clothing when it's as hot as it can get in the Philippines.

if you have to go abroard with your stuff, store the big money, the big cash, the passport and the cards in a pouch in your pants where nobody can see it. Just put a 1000/2000, you're immediate operational money, like a float, in the breast pocket of your shirt. Even if you forget to velcro it to guard it, you wouldn't give two shits if somebody managed to get through your defences and steal it. By contrast, one grab, and your wallet, containing potentially a lot of stuff, can be gone.

you're always vulnerable to cell phone theft as the items are bulky and they can see them through your clothing. It pays to just have cheap ones. They'll be less inclined to steal them, and also you won't be so bothered to lose them.

smokey

i guess the only way to visit and stay safe is what to smear dog poop on your face every day before you go out so no one will hit you up for money or try to steal from you?? Walk softly and carry a big stick

eggnoggin

the Dippers are a strange lot...in third world countries and most of europe they often live in dilapidated structures or casual compounds of inbred clans..schooling their incestuous progeny in the craft from the time they can walk.. usually a skilled but pretty dim crew...often fronting or operating a small restaurant or store slash outlet to fence or sell stolen goods... their view of your property and life ..their life ..a pretty dim flick....

Edited by eggnoggin

A_Simple_Man

the Dippers are a strange lot...in third world countries and most of europe they often live in dilapidated structures or casual compounds of inbred clans..schooling their incestuous progeny in the craft from the time they can walk.. usually a skilled but pretty dim crew...often fronting or operating a small restaurant or store slash outlet to fence or sell stolen goods... their view of your property and life ..their life ..a pretty dim flick....

Sounds like insider info. Do you have Gypsies in your family tree?

seattle2cebu

happened to a friend of mine, we were sitting far apart in the jeepney, no particular reason, I just had walked up to the front and he sat more towards the rear. 4 guys got on, I didnt feel to good about them and was watching.

One sat next to him and put a baseball glove over his front leg, my friend isnt very bright by the way.

So two of the guys get in a mock argument and the one with the glove lifts his wallet, As they stood up to leave the jeep, I yelled at my friend, "you got your wallet, check it now" his face showed me it was gone, As they departed the jeep, I tackled the one with glove, and another one produced a knife.

I chopped the one under me in the throat as hard as i could, with intent to cause as much injury as possible.

I then yelled at the one with the knife, to come on motherfecker, do something. They took off running, We got the wallet from the one on the ground, and I kicked him in the nuts as hard as I could.

People came over gawking, and we left before anybody else showed up..

Jeeps can be bad news, and thats just the truth... this happened in broad daylight.

Bob Ward

happened to a friend of mine, we were sitting far apart in the jeepney, no particular reason, I just had walked up to the front and he sat more towards the rear. 4 guys got on, I didnt feel to good about them and was watching.

One sat next to him and put a baseball glove over his front leg, my friend isnt very bright by the way.

So two of the guys get in a mock argument and the one with the glove lifts his wallet, As they stood up to leave the jeep, I yelled at my friend, "you got your wallet, check it now" his face showed me it was gone, As they departed the jeep, I tackled the one with glove, and another one produced a knife.

I chopped the one under me in the throat as hard as i could, with intent to cause as much injury as possible.

I then yelled at the one with the knife, to come on motherfecker, do something. They took off running, We got the wallet from the one on the ground, and I kicked him in the nuts as hard as I could.

People came over gawking, and we left before anybody else showed up..

Jeeps can be bad news, and thats just the truth... this happened in broad daylight.

I bet that story gets more exciting every time you tell it. That type of scenario can be deadly. Both immediately and longer term. What if one of the others had a gun instead of a knife?

But the real concern comes from payback. It's not that hard for them to find out where you live. Then they will surprise you with all types of fun.

Unless absolutely necessary, never confront a Filipino verbally of physically. In that situation I would have just blocked the exit and told him that you wanted the wallet back, quietly at first. This gives him the chance to man up without loosing face and seeking revenge.

I probably ride more jeepneys than anybody I know (120 a month just for work alone) on the forum or off. In nearly three years I have seen or been involved in only three incidents, OP included. None of them had a probability of violence.

You do need to keep your wits about you, but it's not inherently dangerous to use this mode of transportation. Added tips below!

1. Learn the system and customs before riding alone. Knowing the common phrases will go a long way toward not being targeted.

2. Always carry smaller bills or change. Some of the conductors will rip anybody off that they can. But foreigners are prime targets most of the time because many don't know what they are doing.

Giotto

I want let you know, that i took a few time the jeepney with my GF, just for funny and make some tour around Cebu City, but never had any problem, and often took a taxi, never had any problem, always with the meter, i never had any trouble, filipino peoples are very good.

Giotto

booger10

One more telltale sign that's a clincher.....One of the group will sit opposite you and drop a handfull of small coins on the floor. Most polite westerners (suckers) will bend down to help pick them up, exposing his wallet pocket to the finger guy.

Having been a visitor to PI I recognize the problems with pickpocketing on the jeeps.. I do have a wallet, but carry it in my front pocket.. if I feel a hand in my front pocket, it better be a female.. (smile)

Sonny

Having been a visitor to PI I recognize the problems with pickpocketing on the jeeps.. I do have a wallet, but carry it in my front pocket.. if I feel a hand in my front pocket, it better be a female.. (smile)

If it is female. she's probably checkin' out your roll of dimes....er, quarters. :sick:

On-in-2

If it is female. she's probably checkin' out your roll of dimes....er, quarters. :crack-up:

Well, for me, she's just checking if the Red Horse is still cold!

Jess Bartone

Herb I do have my own transport a used Loncin motorcycle, so am not 100% dependent on jeepneys but I

still find the jeepneys usefull if I am intending drinking or if I am transporting a load to big to carry on the

back of the motorcycle.

I guess one other point is 90% of my jeepney use is on the ones plying the north highway route and I

think they tend to be more safe than the inner city jeepneys plying routes like Colon street where they are

alot tighter packed and I suspect the crime rates are alot higher.

too big to carry on a motorcycle? Maoba?tongue.gif You'd be struggling to get some of these loads in a Jeepneybiggrin_01.gif Sorry Chaz, I'm a big fan of Google Image Search.

post-5642-126249443375_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249443559_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249443732_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249443921_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249444097_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249444254_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249444513_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249444679_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249444911_thumb.jpgpost-5642-126249445082_thumb.jpg