Foiled Picpocket Attempt

smokey
Although I drive in the Philippines, I still ride buses, mini-buses, jeepneys, and other forms of public transportation.

I have never had an issue while in any forms of public transportation here.

and you dont see anything wrong with them mini busses ... I have this dream and in this dream i some how get the mayor to make me a traffic cop on the south road and i get to pull over and hand cuff all the mini bus drivers who cut you off and drive on the wrong side of the road and speed past little children and as a bonus the mayor in my dream lets me have an M-16 to enforce the traffic laws of course i dont shoot the drivers just the tires of the busses and maybe a few shots to the motor... . man i really like these good dreams..

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Ward

• Sonny

• HueyPilot

• Chaz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and you dont see anything wrong with them mini busses ... I have this dream and in this dream i some how get the mayor to make me a traffic cop on the south road and i get to pull over and hand cuff all the mini bus drivers who cut you off and drive on the wrong side of the road and speed past little children and as a bonus the mayor in my dream lets me have an M-16 to enforce the traffic laws of course i dont shoot the drivers just the tires of the busses and maybe a few shots to the motor... . man i really like these good dreams..

Hi Robert,

In my post, I was referring to pickpockets or other similar issues. It had nothing to do with my feelings of how they drive.

The drivers drive those minibuses like maniacs.

Hmmm...what does that say about a society that -

a. acknowledges criminal behavior in a jovial and dismissive way.

b. creates an atmosphere of acceptance and camaraderie by the public with the criminals themselves.

Those criminals are pretty brazen, and seems the fellow riders were fairly accommodating and accepting of the obvious intent to commit a crime and then everyone laugh about it.

And yet didn't bystanders beat a BEAT A SNATCHER TO DEATH not too long ago?

That the riders were joking about these pickpockets being busted doesn't say anything about "a society", just the people in that particular Jeepney..

Although I drive in the Philippines, I still ride buses, mini-buses, jeepneys, and other forms of public transportation.

I have never had an issue while in any forms of public transportation here.

My own situation is similar, most days I ride jeeps and have done so for many years. I have never seen or been aware of any incident although I know it happens on a regular basis.

As to the amusement of the fellow passengers once these criminals were detected well it disgusts me. If the driver had half a brain, which I doubt, he should of proceeded at hast to the closest police station. This sort of ridiculous reaction from him and fellow passengers just helps reinforce criminal behavior.

Pity Bob did not demand this of the driver or conductor, still after the experience guess he was more than happy to still have his wallet.

Hello Chaz:

OK, I understand. Perhaps having one's own basic transportation would help avoid the jeepneys. Purchasing an older car would likely be within the budget of most ex-pats, even those on a limited pension, am I right?

Regards,

Herb

Herb I do have my own transport a used Loncin motorcycle, so am not 100% dependent on jeepneys but I

still find the jeepneys usefull if I am intending drinking or if I am transporting a load to big to carry on the

back of the motorcycle.

I guess one other point is 90% of my jeepney use is on the ones plying the north highway route and I

think they tend to be more safe than the inner city jeepneys plying routes like Colon street where they are

alot tighter packed and I suspect the crime rates are alot higher.

Guys:

There's a very easy way to avoid pickpockets in jeepneys...DON'T ride in jeepneys! :) During my many trips to the RP, I rode in jeepneys only twice. Once was in Manila along with my wife and a few of her relatives beside me. The other time was when I rented a jeepney for a 1/2 day for a group of about 10 to the Del Monte pineapple plantation at Camp Phillips in Bukidnon. Other than those two times, I stayed out of jeepneys to avoid pickpockets and snatchers. Besides, I like the door-to-door service that taxis or a hired car and driver provides...and it's a lot safer too.

Regards,

Herb

My friend who teaches security was pickpockted while walking through Fuente. I was pickpocket while riding jeep 13c also near Country mall. Both were cell phones. My point it can happen anywhere and anytime. when theives want something you they will get it. Plain and simple.

I had a lady friend who was almost molested in a taxi. Thanks to the check point near Ramos she was saved. There were people stoped in their private cars and held at gunpoint. Life and things happen everywhere and all the time.

This reminds me of what my brother n law said while preaching. Somebody told him to be careful while he was flying. He said "I'm not the one flying the plane"

mattwilkie

Thing is..who is the target the white guy or the girl with him?? all i can say is never carry anything of value if travelling via jeepney..doesnt mean your partner shouldnt though.. as you gather all the attention.

• 2 weeks later...
angelescitypi

always upon arrival to AC, Cebu or Manila too as anywhere in the world do this:

Put my money in the damn safe, only taking about 5000 php or whatever I'm going to spend that day/night. I put this folded neatly in my front left pocket or the zippered/buttoned one in my cargo shorts. I also put my wallet in the damn safe, yeah complete with license, cash, credit cards identification and personal effects. I carry a photocopy of my passport (Have about ten photocopies just in case).

Put all gold jewelry in the damn safe.Put my passport in the damn safe.

Now for the fun........ I carry a dummy wallet loaded (thick) with old/expired credit and charge cards. I have the no value sears card, credit card advertisements sent to me weekly made out of flimsy plastic or cardboard. For more giggles I have little messages written in magic marker saying things like Do Not Steal, Bitch, Smiley Faces and feck You! wriiten on the back. I want one of these low life shitstains to take it. Imagine their feelings when they get the motherlode (A thick albeit cheap plastic wallet filled with BASURA) I wish I could see their faces.

Feeling particularly adventurous may have cut up currency sized newspaper. Then I casually tuck this decoy in my back pocket and go about my day. Unfortunately despite doing this for several years the package has only been lifted twice, once (at SM Mall-the new one) and once between Amazonia and G Point by the street kids lol. Or was it the fuglies at Amazonia who "insisted" on giving me back massages then begged for 100php tip. They got WALA!

The decoy wallet works nicely if a few brand-new box-cutter blades are positioned sharp edge up inside.....

Just remember which of your wallets is the decoy.

Egotism dulls the pain of Stupidity

twostrokes

All this makes me wonder if things have become that bad while I have been gone. All the years (15) that I lived there, I rode jeepneys and any other transport all over Luzon. In Cavite city, Manila, Olongapo, Subic city, Bario Beretta, Angeles city, La Union, etc etc etc. I never worried that much about pickpockets. Even when so drunk, I didn't know which way was up. I only got hit once and that was my fault as I was going home about 2am so drunk I couldn't walk. I was the only passenger in the jeep, driver stopped for a couple guys who basicly rolled me in the jeep as I was too drunk to fight about it. Even then, they took my wallet and took out the cash. pushed me out the back of the jeep (it was stopped), then threw my wallet out after me. They got about 10 pesos which would be about 150peso today....Other than that never did have a problem. Sometimes these threads make me wonder if I want to come back there or not.

Carry wallet in front pocket and keep my thumbs in my pocket. I like the decoy idea. I caught a kid in butuan trying to pickpocket me, all the adults were watching him, i acted like i did not know what was going on.

All this makes me wonder if things have become that bad while I have been gone. All the years (15) that I lived there, I rode jeepneys and any other transport all over Luzon. In Cavite city, Manila, Olongapo, Subic city, Bario Beretta, Angeles city, La Union, etc etc etc. I never worried that much about pickpockets. Even when so drunk, I didn't know which way was up. I only got hit once and that was my fault as I was going home about 2am so drunk I couldn't walk. I was the only passenger in the jeep, driver stopped for a couple guys who basicly rolled me in the jeep as I was too drunk to fight about it. Even then, they took my wallet and took out the cash. pushed me out the back of the jeep (it was stopped), then threw my wallet out after me. They got about 10 pesos which would be about 150peso today....Other than that never did have a problem. Sometimes these threads make me wonder if I want to come back there or not.

I was in Subic in 79 and 80 and the pickpockets were out in force back then. As I said, it's not rampant, but you just need to keep your wits about you. If I have to go so far as carry a dummy wallet, I would just go back to the US or somewhere else. I ride at least 100 jeepneys a month, so I'm fairly well versed on the issue.

• 4 weeks later...
Kreole

One more telltale sign that's a clincher.....One of the group will sit opposite you and drop a handfull of small coins on the floor. Most polite westerners (suckers) will bend down to help pick them up, exposing his wallet pocket to the finger guy.

Never having traveled in the Philippines, I appreciate the heads up. One thing that I learned when I first started to travel is to ditch the wallet. I only carry a notepad and pen in my back pocket. I then have my money in my front pockets. Pesos in the left and US in the right (folded bills). It would be quite difficult to get into your front pockets if you are sitting down, but since we are often in crowded areas standing or walking, very skilled pickpockets apparently can lift money from the front pockets of a standing person. As was pointed out, usually there are two, as is the case in the Caribbean and Latin Americas. One will "accidentally" bump you and the other will do the pickpocket. Or one will pickpocket and hand off to another. I have never had the experience, but a close friend of mine who is a streetwise Cuban told me that she had friends who were pickpockets so skilled that they were actually able to take things from her after they were warning her, as a joke. She said the process was seamless, without any sensation. Well, I think I would feel a sensation if some bloke stuck his hand in my front pockets, a little too close to the crown jewels. And when I am on crowded transports, I always have my hands in my pockets and become super alert. I should mention that I value my notebook since I write a lot of useful information and contacts, and thus always have it in a pocket with a button closure. An even safer closure is velcro. That's the best I can do.

Edited by Kreole
thebob

I use a zippered money belt under my shorts when traveling and just keep change in my front pockets. I replenish large bills in the CR.

Avoiding jeepneys because of pickpockets is a bit extreme, just be aware and look like you know what you are doing.

musicman666

if i was a theif i would be looking for the wallet (which is a pretty stupid invention in the world we live in)...but bits of cash tucked down the bottom of faily close fitting shorts pockets is just too risky to think you would acctually get away with it.... even I cant find my cash straight off.. i have so many pockets to choose from :lol: