Sign in to follow this  
Bob Ward

Foiled Picpocket Attempt

Bob Ward

As I have mentioned previously, pickpockets are known to work the jeepneys. It's not very frequent that I come across them, but it does happen, as it did today. I was on the 13C headed to Nasipit. Two men got on (first sign) at Country Mall and proceeded to sit on either side of me (second sign). The next sign was that they were both carrying backpacks. Then one moved way to close as there were not many people on the jeepney (last sign needed). I proceeded to get up and move to the other side of the jeepney. No big deal!

Here is where it get's odd, but interesting. After I moved they knew the jig was up and they were busted. They acknowledged to me that they were busted and started laughing and joking about the smart foreigner with a couple of the other passengers. They were all impressed and everyone laughed and joked. They patted me on the shoulder as they immediately got off to find a less wary sucker.

Again!

Two or three men get on at the same time.

At least two of the are carrying some type of bag or backpack.

They make a concerted effort to sit close to you.

They never got to the point of the third telltale sign which is coughing, which for most people will cause you to turn or look away to avoid germs.

Sonny
As I have mentioned previously, pickpockets are known to work the jeepneys. It's not very frequent that I come across them, but it does happen, as it did today. I was on the 13C headed to Nasipit. Two men got on (first sign) at Country Mall and proceeded to sit on either side of me (second sign). The next sign was that they were both carrying backpacks. Then one moved way to close as there were not many people on the jeepney (last sign needed). I proceeded to get up and move to the other side of the jeepney. No big deal!

Here is where it get's odd, but interesting. After I moved they knew the jig was up and they were busted. They acknowledged to me that they were busted and started laughing and joking about the smart foreigner with a couple of the other passengers. They were all impressed and everyone laughed and joked. They patted me on the shoulder as they immediately got off to find a less wary sucker.

Again!

They never got to the point of the third telltale sign which is coughing, which for most people will cause you to turn or look away to avoid germs.

One more telltale sign that's a clincher.....One of the group will sit opposite you and drop a handfull of small coins on the floor. Most polite westerners (suckers) will bend down to help pick them up, exposing his wallet pocket to the finger guy.

softail

My wife always insists that I sit in the position next to the door, and then she sits next to me. If that spot isn

Turbota

I completely avoid the jeepney pickpocket problem altogether by just not riding on them ... Besides, the Camry is much more comfortable.

Just one less problem here to deal with

Bob Ward
I completely avoid the jeepney pickpocket problem altogether by just not riding on them ... Besides, the Camry is much more comfortable.

Just one less problem here to deal with

Thank you for that helpful bit of information.

bret

Hmmm...what does that say about a society that -

a. acknowledges criminal behavior in a jovial and dismissive way.

b. creates an atmosphere of acceptance and camaraderie by the public with the criminals themselves.

Those criminals are pretty brazen, and seems the fellow riders were fairly accommodating and accepting of the obvious intent to commit a crime and then everyone laugh about it.

udonthani

Most polite westerners (suckers) will bend down to help pick them up, exposing his wallet pocket to the finger guy.

beats me why anybody would want to carry a wallet anywhere in the world, never mind in a jeepney in the Philippines. This is coming from somebody who is used to carrying quite large amounts of cash around with me in the west, as I have a cash-only business, not only the Philippines, where it's not at all that unusual for me to have 20,000 pesos or so on me at one time. The last place wou would want to put cash money like that it is in something like a wallet. They have no utility at all.

Sonny
Most polite westerners (suckers) will bend down to help pick them up, exposing his wallet pocket to the finger guy.

beats me why anybody would want to carry a wallet anywhere in the world, never mind in a jeepney in the Philippines. This is coming from somebody who is used to carrying quite large amounts of cash around with me in the west, as I have a cash-only business, not only the Philippines, where it's not at all that unusual for me to have 20,000 pesos or so on me at one time. The last place wou would want to put cash money like that it is in something like a wallet. They have no utility at all.

Yes,but....lets face it. Pickpockets target the wallet in the back pocket. might as well use that proclivity to your advantage with a dummy wallet. Once they have it they are outta there and you are safe.

HueyPilot

Again!

Guys:

There's a very easy way to avoid pickpockets in jeepneys...DON'T ride in jeepneys! :rolleyes: During my many trips to the RP, I rode in jeepneys only twice. Once was in Manila along with my wife and a few of her relatives beside me. The other time was when I rented a jeepney for a 1/2 day for a group of about 10 to the Del Monte pineapple plantation at Camp Phillips in Bukidnon. Other than those two times, I stayed out of jeepneys to avoid pickpockets and snatchers. Besides, I like the door-to-door service that taxis or a hired car and driver provides...and it's a lot safer too.

Regards,

Herb

Cipro
There's a very easy way to avoid pickpockets in jeepneys...DON'T ride in jeepneys!

That's been my technique as well.

Chaz
Guys:

There's a very easy way to avoid pickpockets in jeepneys...DON'T ride in jeepneys! :D During my many trips to the RP, I rode in jeepneys only twice. Once was in Manila along with my wife and a few of her relatives beside me. The other time was when I rented a jeepney for a 1/2 day for a group of about 10 to the Del Monte pineapple plantation at Camp Phillips in Bukidnon. Other than those two times, I stayed out of jeepneys to avoid pickpockets and snatchers. Besides, I like the door-to-door service that taxis or a hired car and driver provides...and it's a lot safer too.

Regards,

Herb

Herb your advice is good for those that have the financial means to do that, but unfortunatly some of on this

forum (me included) live here on a limited pension income, and for us having to ride jeepneys is a regular necessity.

So for those of us that have to ride the jeepneys this advice given by Bob is highly apreciated as it enables us to

avoid theft by the pickpockets and beat them, leaving us to laugh of the situation afterwards, remember also that

the majority of victims of these pickpockets are locals, thus the pickpockets are equally dispised by them, so

thank you for the useful advice Bob.

Regards Chaz

T.S.
remember also that the majority of victims of these pickpockets are locals, thus the pickpockets are equally dispised by them, so thank you for the useful advice Bob.

Regards Chaz

They got my father inlaw's Christmas bonus on a jeepney a couple years back. :D

I don't ride the jeepneys much when I am there.

HueyPilot
Herb your advice is good for those that have the financial means to do that, but unfortunatly some of on this

forum (me included) live here on a limited pension income, and for us having to ride jeepneys is a regular necessity.

Regards Chaz

Hello Chaz:

OK, I understand. Perhaps having one's own basic transportation would help avoid the jeepneys. Purchasing an older car would likely be within the budget of most ex-pats, even those on a limited pension, am I right?

Regards,

Herb

Paul

Although I drive in the Philippines, I still ride buses, mini-buses, jeepneys, and other forms of public transportation.

I have never had an issue while in any forms of public transportation here.