Lawn Care Help..........

Bama

Looking for some lawn help here.

The pic shows what happens in my yard all the time. Patches of grass die off and then eventually grow back only to die off somewhere else. Any ideas what might cause this and how to stop it? I suspect some type of grub is the culprit.Note how the grass grows in bunches---never fully filling in.It never grows taller that you see which makes cutting it tough.A gas mower won't go down low enough to cut it without scalping----a reel mower gets hung up on the grass tufts.A weed eater is the only stopgap measure found so far.Previous owner paid someone to cut it with scissors something that I'm unwilling/unable to do nor expect anyone else to do.The lawn spends about half the day in shade and gets plenty of water.

So what is killing the grass off and how to fix it? What kind of grass is it? Any advise is appreciated.

g2.jpg.65f2bb4a1c999fa707660d630ecdf864.jpg

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

We have something called chinch bugs here in florida that cause something that looks similar, but often on a much larger scale.

Chinchbug-Damage2.jpg

Wow, I lived in the panhandle for 5 years. I never had chinch bugs I don't think but due to the sandy soil never had much grass either---mostly weeds.

The grass in the background of your pic looks pretty good though----has the look of a golf course perhaps.

Davaoeno

I had the same thing at my house in Hudson Beach .  We had to spray to kill them - and as I recall it wasnt easy . Then we had to replant a lot of the floratam . 

That kinda die off is pretty common where I come from in the semi-tropics ..... lawn grubs. Same variety here ?

To test for them, lay a wet hessian bag at dusk on a patch of lawn under attack -  leave it a few hours and pull it up and see if the grubs are hanging off the bag.

Mind you - we got them almost every spring/summer - so we just sprayed the lawn annually with a pressure pump bottle and Roundup-grub or something similar - at dusk.   Within minutes they'd be on the surface in their death writhes.  Wear gloves and goggles as a minumum...

You may even be able to get the type that attaches to the hose here - for smaller areas, so no pressure pack is needed

image.png.b2bcdafc8feebc438743a1cc6ded7841.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
RogerDat

Similar to what gave cancer to the guy in US. Change clothes, and shower after applying.

11 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

We have something called chinch bugs here in florida

The picture you posted looks more like a fungus which you see sometimes on golf courses.

The grass posted by Bama could be Bermuda (but to identify it you need a close up picture). It could be bugs, but I tend to think it is a fungus...normally occurring during rainy season.

The only thing you CANNOT do in the Philippines is reseeding:D

Edited by Cgu

There is a variety of grass in Leyte called caribao grass.  Coarse looking, but richly green. It essentially grows wild.  I have a large lawn, so instead of having a landscaper install Bermuda, we had some laborers dig up caribao grass and transplant it.  Lots of labor, but simple.  I’ve had no bug issues with the grass, only some competitive weeds in some areas.  Essentially maintenance free except for mowing and dodging snakes of it gets too long. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Jawny said:

There is a variety of grass in Leyte called caribao grass.  Coarse looking, but richly green. It essentially grows wild.  I have a large lawn, so instead of having a landscaper install Bermuda, we had some laborers dig up caribao grass and transplant it.  Lots of labor, but simple.  I’ve had no bug issues with the grass, only some competitive weeds in some areas.  Essentially maintenance free except for mowing and dodging snakes of it gets too long. 

Also used carabou grass at my apartment build. A lady planted shoots at intervals on the raw soil and four months later it had covered the whole area and choked out any lingering weeds. Mow it once a month and it looks fantastic!

49 minutes ago, Jawny said:

There is a variety of grass in Leyte called caribao grass.  

Could this be caribao grass?

Pic provided was the highest resolution possible within the 1.9G MB threshold.Fairly sure that the previous owner had the yard "seeded" with clumps of already mature grass from a commercial source. Is caribao grass sold commercially in fully mature flats of grass?

1 minute ago, Bama said:

Could this be caribao grass?

Nope, this is definitely no carabao grass....I think it is Bermuda or a kind of Blue Grass. You need to get a close up shot of the grass.

Carabao grass is so common I doubt it would be sold as a landscape grass.  I had many neighbors with fields of the grass and we just dug up patches and transplanted them.  It is coarse, not like the feel of Bermuda and others. I’ve never used any sort of weed killer or insecticide on the grass. 

• Like 1
shadow
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

Here in the city it is sold as landscape grass all the time. 

Here too. The resorts love it because it is hardy and requires little maintenance.

Headshot

Does anybody have any pictures of this grass? Is it the same as what nurseries here sell as frog grass?

frog-grass.jpg.bc5ea24a785883b06af469f120f1a1d9.jpg