BossHog

Corn Dogs

BossHog

Being Sunday and all, and since the wife bought a new videoke system yesterday, we decided to invite all the nephews and nieces over for a party. I'm told I'll be doing the food.

And thought...um,,,,corn dogs!

So far have gathered 5 kilos of the Virginia Classic Jumbos...a bunch of the long bamboo bbq sticks (will have to clip the sharp ends off) and sent my driver off to buy two kilos of corn grits. I guess that's close enough to cornmeal. Should I whiz the grits in the blender?

and found an Internet recipe: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, egg, s&p, and milk for the batter.

Got some yellow ball park mustard and Del Monte  and also banana ketchup. And a few cases of RC Cola liters.

This is my first time to make corn dogs. Anyone got some corn dog tips? Do Filipino kids even like mustard? Should I double the recipe's sugar content? Maybe slice open the dogs and lard them with slices of that quick melt cheddar crap. I'm open to ideas. I've seen corn dogs with french fries in the batter but that might be a bit complex for a first effort,  haha.

What else would you serve to go along? Wish we could buy whole pickles here.

Anywhoo, have a happy Sunday everyone!

• Like 3

Dafey
47 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Should I double the recipe's sugar content?

Yes!

48 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Anyone got some corn dog tips?

Be very careful when you poke your dog with a stick!

50 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Do Filipino kids even like mustard?

I can't wait to hear....

51 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Maybe slice open the dogs and lard them with slices of that quick melt cheddar crap

If you have chunks of cheddar spear those and dip them in the batter and then the deep fry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CardiacKid

You should buy the finest grind corn grits that you can and then whiz them in the blender . The meal should be just slightly coarser than flour. If it's too coarse, it will not absorb enough liquid to cook well. Too much sugar will cause your batter to brown too quickly and leave you a cold hot dog in the center. Mustard is not common as a condiment. Consider adding sugar or honey to the mustard if you want the kids to like it. Good luck and thanks for exposing the local kids to Kano food.  Consider making funnel cakes next. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

BossHog
8 minutes ago, CardiacKid said:

If it's too coarse, it will not absorb enough liquid

8 minutes ago, CardiacKid said:

Too much sugar will cause your batter to brown too quickly

Will do a honey mustard; great idea.

Excellent tips! Really glad I asked now. Thanks man.

Edited by BossHog

Dafey
1 hour ago, CardiacKid said:

Mustard is not common as a condiment.

BLASPHEMY!!!

• Like 3

liquido

IMO no matter how much honey you put in the mustard it will still be a dud to the locals..Now ketchup with extra sugar will be a win win situation for you..Guaranteed

Edited by liquido
  • Like 2

Enuff
IMO no matter how much honey you put in the mustard it will still be a dud to the locals..Now ketchup with extra sugar will be a win win situation for you..Guaranteed

Haha, yesterday I had 2 hotdogs for lunch at my purefood hotdog stand in Liloan. They have mustard for about 3 months now. I asked how many foreigners eat there, she said none. Pinoys are using the mustard now.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dafey
51 minutes ago, Enuff said:

yesterday I had 2 hotdogs for lunch

1st lunch or second lunch?

• Like 1

yingy52

I got some of the imported corn dogs from S&R a while back. They were a big hit at first even with mustard. Now the family is sick of them.

I still like them though.

BossHog

Late update:

Anyone ever had a monte cristo sandwich? We ended up dusting the heck out of the corn dogs with powdered (confectioner's)  sugar and serving them with strawberry jam,

Sounds like an abomination but the kids liked it and that's all that matters.

• Like 2

BossHog

Well the corn dogs must have been okay because the nephews and nieces came by early this morning and asked me to do another batch. "Sure!" I say not realizing I didn't have the ingredients and I sure wasn't making the 45-kilometer trip to the nearest half-big store. But I promised so it was time to improvise.

No corn grits or corn flour here so I went to the sari-sari and got a few bags of popping corn.

We have a giant mortar and pestle we use for grinding cacao nibs when we make chocolate tablea. When I say "giant" the 'pestle' is five feet long and super heavy. So I reckoned we gould grind the popping corn into some corn flour...

P1020057.thumb.JPG.af1110ddfac2b4c57b9991004d55bc89.JPG

That didn't really work, so we busted out a blender. (could have done that at first but didn't want to burn it out). That worked but it did-overheat and needed frequent breaks. I wouldn't try this again without a heavy-duty blender.

Then used a colander as a sieve to separate the corn flour from the corn "chaff"...

P1020058.thumb.JPG.bc01cba5062528230a973e4a988e1da9.JPG

The chaff or whatever it's called then went back to the giant mortar for a more successful pounding.

Now I had two cups of finely ground corn flour! But then I realized I didn't have any hot dogs. Doh! Well not any of the good ones so we got a kilo of Champion Minis from the sari-sari. Then, of course, had to peel the plastic 'condom' off all of them. 

P1020059.thumb.JPG.a31e03ee547588ce2f57dc55c127db7a.JPG

But now I realize the only bbq sticks I got are the giant ones for barbecue chicken quarters and the jumbo frankfurters. They weren't going to do. Someone had the brilliant idea of getting some coconut tree fronds and stripping out the ribs. (this is how they make native brooms)..so we set off up the hill with a couple of knives and got to work...

P1020060.thumb.JPG.d30610a06d747127cc54e5a5baabb1fc.JPG

Turns out they were the perfect size so we threaded up some hot dogs and put them and the batter in the ref to wait for lunch-time. They say the batter will stick better if it's really cold. 

P1020061.thumb.jpg.d58e3af6ba29f7e83131d04fd6dbb9ba.jpg

Won't be as good as the first batch maybe and took some improvisation but hopefully the kids won't care. More pics at lunchtime. Happy Sunday everyone!

• Like 3

CardiacKid

If you can't improvise you don't belong in the P.I. Some things are harder than others to substitute but if you're resourceful  you can make just about anything.

TequilaSunset

Please have your higher quality ones ready for my arrival. Looks like lots of rain, so we might be there drinking, eating, sleeping the whole time :P 

• Haha 1