Male health age-related changes between 70 & 80

softail

Well, I will be  70 ne.xt month. The Dr told me when I retired, age 59, that if I sat down , sent the wife for a beer, flipped on the TV, that I would have 10yrs to live, something would happen. I listened, have been doing volunteer work and feel pretty good except have been having a prostrate issue which I think has been addressed.

Will be relocating to the Philippines hopefully this summer, feeling good about it but a little concerned about the air  pollution  as I have some asthma problems but am willing to give it a go. The way I feel about it, I would hate to be laying on my death bed thinking “boy, I wish I had done this, had done that etc”.

My Dad when I was young moved us , the whole family to the Galapagos Iands, stranded us there with $20 dollars in his pocket.  We were stranded there for 2 years, was the highlight of our life. Everyone was telling my parents at the time all these reasons why we shouldn’t do it.  Was the best decision my dad ever made.

I may have prostrate issues that most likely haven’t been fully addressed, some lung issues that could be a problem but like I said, I don’t want to be the guy laying on his death bed lamenting, “ why or why didn’t I fulfill my dreams when I could”.

• Like 2
softail
1 minute ago, petecebu said:

It's the dreams we want to fulfill and the chances we take to get them. Maybe we should just go with it and accept what happens on the way. As you said...

don’t want to be the guy laying on his death bed lamenting, “ why or why didn’t I fulfill my dreams when I could”.

That’s the plan, in my age bracket I have 10 to 15 to make my bucket list and that’s the plan.

• Like 1
softail
1 minute ago, petecebu said:

Better 'late than never', go for it and be happy. Life is too short for regrets

That’s the plan buddy, thanks for the support

• Like 1
Headshot
45 minutes ago, softail said:

Will be relocating to the Philippines hopefully this summer, feeling good about it but a little concerned about the air  pollution  as I have some asthma problems but am willing to give it a go.

Talk to your doctor about Montelucast. I had asthma as a kid, but it went away until I moved to Cebu nine years ago, when it returned (due to the air pollution). My doctor prescribed Montelucast, and I haven't had a problem since.

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1
softail
12 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Talk to your doctor about Montelucast. I had asthma as a kid, but it went away until I moved to Cebu nine years ago, when it returned (due to the air pollution). My doctor prescribed Montelucast, and I haven't had a problem since.

Thankyou very much. The plan is,  stay in Santa Cruse Nuvali, see how it goes, if it is a problem move up the hill to Tagaytay where hopefully there should not be a problem.

• Like 1
Semper paratus

Yes, life is short. Here's a summary.

• Like 1
CardiacKid

I returned to the U.S. in 2014 after 8 years in Cebu. The following is a few things that passing 70 can bring. I started declining about 6 months before we left and it has been the Express Lane since. In addition to those listed below I have just gotten a diagnosis of pernicious anemia. It is unique in that the bone marrow does not produce enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to the tissues. Transfusions of whole blood are required to prevent death, until other treatments become effective. Had one last weekend. Now I'm faced with hemotology/oncology visits to eliminate bone cancer as a possible cause. Results for the organism with this tale of woe is to be wedded to a supplemental oxygen unit 24/7. In addition, at night have to use a ventilator due to forgetting to breathe. If you have your health, preserve it. Get up each day  with the idea it will be a good one.  I used to walk 10  km a day in Cebu, and now have to rest after 10 steps. Enjoy every day to the fullest, and keep a positive attitude. I'm not kicking the bucket yet, and as long as Medicare and Tricare pay the bills, I will not hesitate to use them. 

Depressive DisorderActive08/13/2018 

Chronic Respiratory FailureActive08/13/2018 

Lung MassActive08/13/2018 

Long-term Current Use of AnticoagulantActive08/13/2018 

Type 2 Diabetes MellitusActive  

HyperlipidemiaActive  

Tobacco Dependence SyndromeActive  

Nicotine DependenceActive  

Mild Memory DisturbanceActive  

Obstructive Sleep Apnea SyndromeActive  

Obstructive Sleep Apnea of AdultActive  

CataractActive  

Chronic Allergic ConjunctivitisActive  

Essential HypertensionActive  

Hypertensive DisorderActive External

Benign Hypertensive Heart Disease without Congestive Heart FailureActive  

Diffuse Disease of Coronary ArteryActive  

Coronary ArteriosclerosisActive  

Ischemic Congestive CardiomyopathyActive  

Mitral Valve RegurgitationActive  

CardiomyopathyActive  

Atrial FlutterActive  

Ventricular Premature BeatsActive  

Sick Sinus SyndromeActive  

Systolic Heart FailureActive  

Peripheral Vascular DiseaseActive  

SinusitisActive  

Seasonal Allergic RhinitisActive  

Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Airways DiseaseActive  

Chronic Obstructive Lung DiseaseActive History

Kidney DiseaseActive  

PsoriasisActive  

Shoulder SyndromeActive  

Lumbar RadiculopathyActive  

Sleep ApneaActive  

ForgetfulActive  

SnoringActive  

Dyspnea on ExertionActive  

Serum TSH Level AbnormalActive  

Shoulder StrainActive  

• Thanks 1

Life is a sexually transmitted disease  with a 100 percent mortality rate.

• Like 2