Male health age-related changes between 70 & 80

nothingbutquestions

Just completing the 60-70 decade and having personal experience with all that went before, I am wondering what to expect next and hoping there are members kind enough to share.

Started thinking after Paul's passing and reading this paragraph from the newest Jack Reacher novel:

The old man who opened the door was about ninety. He was thin and stooped inside too-big clothing, maybe favorite stuff bought long ago, back when he was a vigorous seventy. He could have started out six-one and 190, at his peak, before the start of a long decline. Now he was bent over like a question mark. His skin was slack and translucent. His eyes watered. He had strands of gray hair, as fine as silk.

liquido

I guess age is really considered a disease....

• Administrator
Dafey
36 minutes ago, Jester said:

I tell people to live good and croak at 60! 

I have really bad luck! Will probably live to be 110!

27 minutes ago, liquido said:

Youth is wasted on the young...

• Like 4
Headshot
Just now, Dafey said:

...or as my Mom used to say, "Old age ain't for wimps."

• Like 4

Like everything else  - each is different

Feel much better since I got here, hated Chicago  winters,  silly as it sounds driving here is a hoot. Was concerned at first, didn't realize my reactions were still that good, haven't hit a motor yet, been hit several times :tease:

Haven't noticed any radical changes - gradual yes as Jester said.

Can still do everything I did before just not as often or for as long. That wasn't a double entendre. Walk as far or on slopes (losing sense of balance), stay up until 2 am and start next day at 6 , lift 60 Kg, etc.

But at 71 have outlived all my male blood relatives (father, brother, uncles, cousins) by over  5 years so feel lucky.

• Like 3
CardiacKid
2 hours ago, liquido said:

A terminal one.

• Like 3
contraman
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

The youth are only pissed off that we beat them there :idontknow:

Edited by contraman
Because I can not fcuken type good anymore :(
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Semper paratus
11 hours ago, liquido said:

Yes life is some disease we catch somewhere between conception and birth or so it is thought.  In any case this disease of life has killed many I know and is in the process of killing more. There is no known cure that I know of. It appears to be fatal.

throttleplate

i have really laid off of the weight training and now do stretching and a type of yoga every morning and now have replaced the weights with the rubber exercise bands complete with handles and different resistances.

I have had 9 joint surgeries, the last 2 were a neck fusion 2 years ago and 3 months ago i had to get my tennis elbow tendon cleaned up and reattached to the humorous as it tore from plain overuse. Had the inside golphers tendon reattached 10 years ago.

The total list is 2 lower back operations, 1 knee op, 3 shoulder ops, 1 neck op, and 2 elbow ops. I can now say that this is the best i have felt in the last 10 years as i have had all that ailed me repaired. Its of the utmost importance i do the yoga and stretching every morning to keep whats been repaired and other muscles limber.

I do the stretching at home or at the gym in the morning, this gets me out of the house early and at the gym it is hot and i like to sweat and then ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes.

I have run into some expats i havnt seen in over a year and at my same age they look like death and tell me all their ailments and that they quit drinking and changed their diet and one looks so decimated and he thinks he is feeling better but damn he looks like a ww2 prisoner.

This guy and the others do not do any exercise such as stretching, walking because of bad knees, no light weight exercises and they all walk hunched over. I know stretching is not fun nor is exercise for some people but i enjoy it and its benefits. Stretchng is something you need to be taught how to stretch, how long to hold the stretch, which muscles are you stretching and how it affects other muscles.

Most people stretch all wrong and, dont have a clue and then do it a couple times and quit, you have to be devoted to it and learn it and wait for the results because it will take a long time to get the tendons back moving and lengthed out.

To prevent myself from becoming a hunchback i was taught how to use a foam roller and lay my upper shoulder area on it on the floor and roll out the upper back area and also you will need to stretch out the front pecs and the serratus muscles and neck tendons and muscles which all effect your posture.

If you are becoming hunched over alot is because your pecs muscles have contracted and are pulling your back upper area muscles forward this is from leaning over on a computer or working on a bench all day its just natural so you need to work on it by stretching out the pecks which will allow those front muscles to relax and then strenghten the upper back area to keep the shoulders upper back tight and hold the shoulders back.

Ok got to run we have a plane to catch as we are headed for thailand for 2 weeks, get well people.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I'll be 67 in a few weeks So far the only issues I've noticed, are some sore knuckle joints. I'm assuming it's arthritis. 

The old pencil isn't as sharp as it use to be, but it still writes just fine...:P

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
to_dave007
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, Salty Dog said:

The old pencil isn't as sharp as it use to be, but it still writes just fine...:P

Just have to be able to see to find the paper when you need it.

• Haha 3
TequilaSunset
On 11/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, Jester said:

I tell people to live good and croak at 60! 

GAWD, I am hoping for at least another 20, I am still going strong. Your mileage may vary

• Like 4
wondersailor

What is sad is seeing the deeply old and sick linger with the aid of medical science. That would br my definition of hell on earth. There comes a time when you have to come to terms with life's ending.

• Like 1