Sign in to follow this  
Bama

Imelda Marcos ordered arrested for seven counts of graft

Kreole
5 minutes ago, Bama said:

Just a few posts up from yours CL provided a link to such a story. IMO there is no comparison to be made.

Thanks, I  will read it next.  I do not think it wise to go too far with this discussion since there are posters here who are vulnerable expats, so no point in pissing off both sides of comparison, since one or the other may come back to power and start eliminating critics.  Think not?  Then you really do need a history lesson.

Edited by Kreole

colemanlee

@Bama, where we live, Eastern Leyte is a huge Marcos support area, as is most places except Luzon.

Marcos built the hospital here, the roads, many of the schools,of course the bridge, even a public library (which is now the rundown peoples center where they sell junk)  but at one time, kids here that could not afford books to go to school could go there to study and all the books were available.  

I read somewhere that the People Power movement consisted of something like 2% of the folks in Manila...most of the older folks I talk to, people here that are about our age, do nothing but praise Marcos and even think martial law was a good thing.  As they lived through it and I didn't I can only take the preponderance of opinion as being closest to the truth.   

I do know that when I ask who most folks here want to replace DU30 the answer I get is Bong Bong and that is a mix of folks from farmers to doctors...

Somebody posted this earlier, and sure its just more of someones opinion but if you have never looked into the Aquino's perhaps you should check it out.

• Like 2

Bama

I also hear Bong Bongs name bandied about quite a bit as the next presidential hopeful. If so, he has a good bit of political baggage to deal with on his way to the palace.More yellow media talk perhaps ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bongbong_Marcos

2014 PDAF Pork Barrel Scam

Marcos was said to have channeled P100 million through 4 fake NGOs linked with Napoles[68] through the National Livelihood Development Corporation (NLDC): Ginintuang Alay sa Magsasaka Foundation Inc (P5 million), Agricultura sa Magbubukid Foundation Inc (P25 million), Kaupdanan para sa Mangungugma Foundation Inc (P25 million), and Agri and Economic Program for Farmers Foundation Inc (P45 million). Marcos claimed that the large amounts of money was released by the budget department without his knowledge and that his signatures were forged.

2016 Commission on Audit suit

In 2016, Marcos was also sued for plunder for funneling P205 million of his PDAF via 9 special allotment release orders (SARO) to the following bogus foundations from October 2011 to January 2013, according to Luy's digital files:[70]

Social Development Program for Farmers Foundation (SDPFFI) – P15m

Countrywide Agri and Rural Economic Development Foundation (CARED) – P35m

People's Organization for Progress and Development Foundation (POPDFI) – P40m

Health Education Assistance Resettlement Training Services (HEARTS) – P10m

Kaupdanan Para Sa Mangunguma Foundation (KMFI) – P20m

National Livelihood Development Corporation (NLDC) – P100m

These NGOs were found by the Commission on Audit (COA) as bogus with shady or non-existent offices.[70

RogerDuMond
23 minutes ago, Bama said:

I also hear Bong Bongs name bandied about quite a bit as the next presidential hopeful. If so, he has a good bit of political baggage to deal with on his way to the palace.More yellow media talk perhaps ?

People in the province don't give a damn about political baggage, that is an elite worry.

fred42
34 minutes ago, Bama said:

I also hear Bong Bongs name bandied about quite a bit as the next presidential hopeful.

Bong Bong V Pacquiao?

Kreole

In the end, none of us is in a position to comment on the political history of the Philippines, since we know almost nothing about it and it is none of our business. I am a "guest" here.  As an American, I let my own bias against Imelda, which is quite prevalent in the US, color my assessment of Bong Bong and Imee since they are the descendants of the Marcos regime, which is a blight on the US as well as the RP. 

The US must take ultimate responsibility for the Marcos regime as it does for every other dictator it has put into power.  So, as an American , I need to STFU when considering the political history (current and past) of the Philippines.  My personal opinion is quite worthless here. 

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 1

fred42
13 minutes ago, Kreole said:

In the end, none of us is in a position to comment on the political history of the Philippines, since we know almost nothing about it and it is none of our business. I am a "guest" here.  As an American, I let my own bias against Imelda, which is quite prevalent in the US, color my assessment of Bong Bong and Imee since they are the descendants of the Marcos regime, which is a blight on the US as well as the RP. 

The US must take ultimate responsibility for the Marcos regime as it does for every other dictator it has put into power.  So, as an American , I need to STFU when considering the political history (current and past) of the Philippines.  My personal opinion is quite worthless here. 

So if my Dual national kids ask my opinion about parts of Filipino history ,I should advise them that my view or opinion is irrelevant as I`m only a mere resident guest here?
Knowing my kids,I doubt they would let that excuse slide!
What to do??

colemanlee
8 minutes ago, fred42 said:

What to do??

Tell them the truth as you perceive it....they will form opinions on their own but will always respect you treating them as intelligent human beings 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

petecebu
19 minutes ago, fred42 said:

So if my Dual national kids ask my opinion about parts of Filipino history ,I should advise them that my view or opinion is irrelevant as I`m only a mere resident guest here?
What to do??

It depends on their age what you divulge to them and the stage of education they are at in school and what they are taught there. Just monitor their education and reply appropriately. As their age and education progresses it will become more understandable between yourselves what to discuss. Things said to an 8yrs old won't mean the same as said to an 18yrs old.

yingy52

I do believe that a wheelchair and a neck brace is in order.

• Haha 2

Kreole
3 hours ago, yingy52 said:

I do believe that a wheelchair and a neck brace is in order.

In reference to what?

Bama

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/203101/palace-on-possible-imelda-pardon-speculative-and-premature

Palace on possible Imelda pardon: ‘Speculative and premature’

Perhaps premature but little to speculate about---it's done.

PRESIDENTIAL Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Sunday that concerns raised over the possibility of the President granting pardon to former First Lady Imelda Marcos after she was convicted of graft is “speculative” and premature.”

“Analysts from some sectors have raised the concern of the possibility of the President granting pardon to former First Lady and incumbent Ilocos Norte 2nd District Representative Imelda Marcos following the decision of the Sandiganbayan,” Panelo said in a statement.

“Such issue not only is speculative but premature as well,” he added.

The Palace official noted that the President’s constitutional authority to grant pardon is for “persons convicted by final judgment,” but “it is not so in the case” with the former first lady as the decision of the anti-graft court has not yet “attained finality.”

“Her (Marcos) lawyers have stated that she will avail of legal remedies available to her to reverse the decision from the same court or higher courts,” Panelo added.

He also explained that in granting pardon to convicts, President Rodrigo Duterte will “consider the recommendation” of the Board of Pardons and Parole (BPP), which is an office under the Department of Justice (DOJ).

The BPP, according to Panelo, “looks into the records and studies the circumstances of the person in order to evaluate the latter’s eligibility and entitlement of the President’s act of grace.”

“As matter of course and policy, the President, like his predecessors, weighs in all factors before exercising his right to grant clemencies,” he said.

On Friday, Marcos was found guilty of seven counts of graft by the Sandiganbayan’s Fifth Division.

The court found her guilty of seven of the 10 graft cases filed against her from 1991 to 1995 in connection with the Swiss foundations she and her husband had established and used to stash at least $200 million abroad while she was a member of the defunct Batasang Pambansa, Metro Manila governor, and minister of human settlements.

She was sentenced to serve six to 11 years in prison for each count.

• Haha 1

bmoore
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, colemanlee said:

Perhaps you should bone up on your history, compared to what the Aquino's did, the Marcos family was small change.. 

And what do they put in the water in Leyte!

• Haha 2