Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Signing up for Medicare

Bama

If you have health insurance now with  your previous employer--does it make sense to opt in to Part B. Not sure how one could use Part B if you can't use Medicare Part A because you live overseas.

29 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I think it is important to have coverage which can be used here.

What insurance do you have to cover medical issues here in the PI ?

Edited by Bama

CardiacKid
6 hours ago, Headshot said:

For those who are retired military, they should be careful about this. Once you turn 65, if you opt out of Part B of Medicare, you are also opting out of Tricare. Tricare for Life depends on the money from Medicare Part B as a co-pay of sorts.

IF you have both Medicare Part B and Tricare  For Life  in most cases you will never see a bill. Medicare pays first, then Tricare steps in as a Medicare supplement to pay  your co-pay from Medicare. Tricare also covers prescription  drugs for a very small co-pay from Express Scripts or free from a military facility. 

Jawny

I have insurance from a prior employer. It covers medical expenses overseas or in the USA. Because of that, having Medicare part B is not needed.  This would be the case if I lived in the USA or overseas. 

For the OP, the issue of medical expenses and insurance is a frequently discussed topic on the forum.  Might be useful tidbits in the archives 

Bama
10 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I have insurance from a prior employer. It covers medical expenses overseas or in the USA. Because of that, having Medicare part B is not needed.  This would be the case if I lived in the USA or overseas. 

I have medical insurance from a prior employer also which covers in the PI or anywhere else I'm living. But I first have to pay the medical bills and seek reimbursement afterward.If I don't show up with cash at the hospital then I won't be treated.

Is this the same situation that you find yourself in ? Just looking for ideas here.

Headshot
30 minutes ago, CardiacKid said:

IF you have both Medicare Part B and Tricare  For Life  in most cases you will never see a bill. Medicare pays first, then Tricare steps in as a Medicare supplement to pay  your co-pay from Medicare. Tricare also covers prescription  drugs for a very small co-pay from Express Scripts or free from a military facility. 

Exactly. Of course, those living in the Philippines must travel to the US or US territory to avail of the Medicare, but then after 65, Tricare won't pay anything unless you also have Medicare parts A&B. When I had my heart problems a couple of years ago, the entire bill for a heart device implant (and all of the care that went along with that) was paid in full by the two insurances. I didn't even have a co-pay.

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1

LechonBuddha
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

Exactly. Of course, those living in the Philippines must travel to the US or US territory to avail of the Medicare, but then after 65, Tricare won't pay anything unless you also have Medicare parts A&B. When I had my heart problems a couple of years ago, the entire bill for a heart device implant (and all of the care that went along with that) was paid in full by the two insurances. I didn't even have a co-pay.

When you turn 65, to keep TRICARE coverage you must sign up for Medicare part B. At that time, while in the U.S., Medicare becomes your primary Coverage and TRICARE converts to supplemental coverage as TRICARE For Life. However, if you reside overseas, TRICARE For Life will act as your primary coverage since Medicare isn't available outside the U.S.A. and it's territories. You DO NOT have to return to the U.S. In order to use your TRICARE. In effect, the only change for TRICARE users overseas is they must begin paying a Medicare part B coverage once they turn 65. Other than that, there's still the general co-pays, annual costs and caps etc. along with the name change of your policy from TRICARE to TRICARE for life. For those of you this applies to I strongly suggest you go to the TRICARE  website. Just be aware, as long as you're signed up for Medicare TRICARE for life does cover you while living overseas minus the costs your normally incur using TRICARE. 

Edited by LechonBuddha

Dafey
13 hours ago, Jawny said:

Might be useful tidbits in the archives 

Yes. Some good info and a lot of outdated info.

The main source but a lot of reading...

https://www.medicare.gov/

• Thanks 1

Dafey

So I'm due for a colonoscopy, (sorry to ruin your breakfast), and have been every 5 years. My guess is the next one they will recommend every 2 years. About $3K to $4K without insurance. The medicare site "says" it is a covered test. That pays for itself the first 2 years plus at $130 a month.

Question is...has anyone had a colonoscopy in Cebu with a positive experience? (other than Fred)

Davaoeno
3 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Question is...has anyone had a colonoscopy in Cebu with a positive experience? (other than Fred)

I was under the understanding that Fred's was more of an Alien anal probing than a colonoscopy ??

[ and people wonder how things go off topic !! :rofl: ]

• Haha 1

Dafey
21 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I was under the understanding that Fred's was more of an Alien anal probing than a colonoscopy ??

[ and people wonder how things go off topic !! :rofl: ]

Actually "on topic"...considered voluntary medical procedure?

• Like 1

Jawny

I believe a lot of the "free" procedures done under Medicare are a form of preventative medicine.  Cheaper to have a free screening than to have individuals postpone or never get screened.  Mammogram, Pap smears, immunizations and that sort of thing are often covered as "free" with insurance policies.  It wouldn’t surprise me if the Medicare part B did the same.

However, a colonoscopy here is relatively inexpensive.  Less than ₽10,000 for the hospital or clinic.  Additional professional fees. If an endoscopy is done at the same time, a similar cost.  If an anesthesiologist is requested, they get a fee.   The professional fee for the physician is cheap. Not sure of exact costs, but WAY less than $4000. 

The costs are posted in the endoscopy clinic in Chong Hua. Calling might get the information as well.  There are several threads on the topic in LinC archives. 

It wouldn’t surprise me to have a waiting period to get an appointment in the USA.  Here, the procedure can be arranged quickly. Get the procedure done in the AM.  Have an office call same day.  Biopsies, if done, get results in a week or so.

• Like 1

Dafey

That's great Jawny and thanks.

I am curious as to how the procedure here compares to the US?

Jawny

As far as I know, it is identical. Some details differ, such as the medicine used to empty the bowels.  There are some who will disagree with the type of medicine used, but I have no idea what the issues are.

The process is done in an assembly line way here.  The patient is checked in with the staff to be sure forms are signed, bills paid or arranged for.  Then, an orderly will take the patient to a prep room.  There is where the get naked process is done., with a gown.  I think jewelry is removed etc.

The anesthesiologist (If used) will come in to do some prep stuff like a needle in the arm, BP measurments etc.  Pretty much whaat would be expected.  The physician doing the exam will come in to greet the patient etc.

Then the patient is moved to the "operating room" (not a sterile environment) better equipped than the holding area.  Within a minute or two the meds take affect and the next thing you know you wake up.  Done. 

The physician will use images from the process to show what was found.  They are poor quality, but good enough for him to explain what he saw. 

Dafey

Sounds pretty much like the US. However I am particular on the prep drug to empty your bowels. The first time I did it I had to drink a glass of this nasty ass tasting gunk every 5 minutes until my guts wrenched up. The next time I took a pill and a gallon of water...much nicer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jawny

I suppose you can ask the physician for alternatives.  I just thought perhaps having a trip to the USA for a no cost procedure might be worth the manageable cost here.  You can contact the Chong Hua endoscopy unit and get some prices.  Then, choose a physician and ask his cost.  An anesthesiologist if used, is a percent of that, I think 50%. Add an office call and any biopsy costs and voila....peace of mind.   

• Like 1