Signing up for Medicare

• Administrator
Dafey

I know this topic has been covered in the past but I'm wondering if anyone has some updated information on this. Sign up for 2019 is until December 15th.

For me it appears that I'm automatically signed up for part A & B and that they will take the $130 monthly's out of my SS

Does anyone have any input/advice for signing up?

Advice on part D or supplemental coverage?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• Jawny

• Bama

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who are retired military, they should be careful about this. Once you turn 65, if you opt out of Part B of Medicare, you are also opting out of Tricare. Tricare for Life depends on the money

I don’t believe the part B will be required unless you opt to have the coverage.  You can refuse the option of part B.  The risk is, if you opt to NOT accept the part B, and later decide you want the

Please try to be serious- some of us are figuring out how to get our anuses probed under the guise of " medical necessity "  !!!   

Kahuna
42 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I know this topic has been covered in the past but I'm wondering if anyone has some updated information on this. Sign up for 2019 is until December 15th.

For me it appears that I'm automatically signed up for part A & B and that they will take the $130 monthly's out of my SS

Does anyone have any input/advice for signing up?

Advice on part D or supplemental coverage?

I'm here in the states and they sent me a card already tho it's not activated til Jan1st. Come January I can then sign up for the rest of the alphabet depending on needs wants and available money .  

Maybe I should add I was already on SS since I was 62 so they knew when i'd be needing the card  :)

BTW.everyday I'm under relentless robo=callers and junk mail trying to get me to sign up for some sort of supplemental coverage programs with various insurance companies..  it's very annoying..

Edited by Kahuna
info added
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Is your birthday in January? Are you automatically enrolled in A& B?

Yes I get a dozen emails a day...

• Like 1
Kahuna
1 minute ago, Dafey said:

Is your birthday in January? Are you automatically enrolled in A& B?

Yes I get a dozen emails a day...

Yes,,Jan12 I hit 65..

About a month ago I got my Medicare A/B card in the mail with the note saying if I want it to do nothing and if I didn't I send it back. Now I was already wondering how this all works and was wondering who to ask or where to apply but this made thngs alot easier for me.  When I saw it covered parts A and B I wondered how I get the rest of the alphabet. I started looking online and found a spot telline me in January I'd get to get the rest while in the meantime I received additional mail to fill out concerning my income bracket and if I could get deals on that stuff [I hadn't heard back from them yet]

I don’t believe the part B will be required unless you opt to have the coverage.  You can refuse the option of part B.  The risk is, if you opt to NOT accept the part B, and later decide you want the coverage, you will be paying the monthly premiums wth an added percentage based upon the years you could have been covered.  

I'd suggest a google search or better yet, the Medicare website.

Part B does not have coverage while in the Philippines.  That is, medical care provided here will not be covered by part B. 

However, should you have part B, and want to use the benefits, you can use the medical benefits while in the USA (I think Guam as well). 

You can opt out of part B as self insured or use another health insurance.  

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
16 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

Yes,,Jan12 I hit 65..

Youngster! I turn next month.

Yes...it's all very confusing. Except that they have made it easy with the autoenroll. I do not take a lot of prescriptions so think I'll skip D for now.

15 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I don’t believe the part B will be required unless you opt to have the coverage.

Actually it is automatic if you are currently collecting SS but you can opt out before your coverage month.

And...as you said there is a penalty, (God knows why), if you don't opt when it is initially offered.

• Like 1
Headshot

For those who are retired military, they should be careful about this. Once you turn 65, if you opt out of Part B of Medicare, you are also opting out of Tricare. Tricare for Life depends on the money from Medicare Part B as a co-pay of sorts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How would anyone be able to use Medicare Part A or B while still living in the PI ?

The only option that I see to use it would be go back to the States,Guam,etc.

Is there another way?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

That would be my intention, to travel to the States if I needed medical attention that could not be provided here

Everybody still gets A free of charge. That covers hospital for 30 days I believe.

B is your HMO and has a deductible and possibly a copay.

I still travel back to the states every year or 2 and still get a complete physical when I do. That should still be covered once a year 

Edited by Dafey
12 minutes ago, Dafey said:

B is your HMO and has a deductible and possibly a copay.

Didn't think that Part B had anything to do with whatever private insurance that you might have.

If you opt in you just start paying premiums out of your SS check. Do I have this wrong--please advise.

Edited by Bama

A person living overseas can have a private USA based insurance which meets the criteria for the Affordable Care Act.  If the same person is eligible for Medicare part B, and opts to NOT have the part B coverage, it does not necessarily reduce their coverage.  I suppose it does affect the private insurance in the limits of coverage.  

For example, the private USA based insurance may limit the coverages based upon what Medicare part B would pay.   In effect, the private coverage may pay only what Medicare would pay.

As far as opting to sign up for Medicare part B, that ends up forcing the individual to obtain other coverage for medical needs in country.  For myself, I’d rather not pay for insurance I can only use in the USA. 

Pan annual physical can be a relatively cheap expensive when done at the local hospitals.  They often offer a package deal, calling them the executive package.  More expensive packages includes more exams.

24 minutes ago, Jawny said:

For myself, I’d rather not pay for insurance I can only use in the USA. 

So you have opted to not have any US medical insurance and to not avail yourself of Medicare that you are entitled to. Correct?

Not concerned about having insurance that meets the requirements of the ACA---that whole deal is over as far as I can see. Americans that live overseas aren't required to follow the ACA mandates anyway.

Edited by Bama
  • Like 1

My comments strayed from the OP query a bit.  I did not need to mention the ACA, especially as it is of no concern to permanent residents of the Philippines. 

I was mostly trying to point out that the limitation of using part B of Medicare in the USA is one reason to opt out of the coverage and find other insurance for use while living here.  Medical emergencies don’t always allow for a trip to the USA for care (stroke, heart attack, that sort of thing). 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
19 minutes ago, Jawny said:

My comments strayed from the OP query a bit

As long as we are talking insurance/Medicare and options I think we are contained in the bubble. Don't worry about veering a little on this one Jawny.

One of my concerns is that if I don't opt in on Part B on the first round the cost is increased as a penalty. And ...it's a pretty hefty increase for the duration and increases each year until you opt in.

I am pretty healthy and have been going naked for the last few years as far as insurance goes. Since I've lived in the Phils for at least 11 months out of the year the ACA has not been an issue.

What I'm concerned about is that a few years down the road what if I develop a medical issue that really needs to be treated in the US. From what I've read the Part B acts like an HMO and has fair coverage, especially for $130 a month. When I was in the US I was paying close to 7K a year and the coverage was not that great.

So, I may opt in the first year and see how it goes. I can always drop Part B next year.

• Like 1

If you are sans insurance now, then I agree it may be simpler to pay the $130 monthly premium, even if not used except during trips to the USA.  

However, as we all get reminded now and again, illnesses can develop and need attention right away.  I think it is important to have coverage which can be used here.

I don’t consider the USA as the only place to get good medical care.  In spite of the gripes of members of LinC my own experiences have been similar to what is available in the USA.  For the more demanding medical procedures, I’d consider using facilities in Manila.  However, I have insurance which covers these procedures  

If I recall, the percentage increase added for part B each year has some limit.  That is, it reaches a maximum amount.  I can’t recall this exactly, but may be worth checking. Even if the penalty is 10% a year, it would be ten years before it doubles (excluding other increases in that decade). 

If my math skills are correctly, that means in a decade, the cost would double. That’s still less than the $7000 a year mentioned.