mabutiman

Paul Petrea - LinC Founder Dead At 52

Enuff

Rarely did Paul and I see eye to eye on most topics.

He gave me more vacations at LinC than a government employee.

But offline he was a big help with my solar.

R I P

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Busted Dick

Paul helped me when I first decided that I wanted to learn Visayan.  As far as I know he didn't speak it well himself but he had some good quality learning material which I have since lost.  He was one of the original creators of LINC and, if I remember correctly, used to host a weekly beer and pizza social do in Ayala.  I originally posted that I only met him the one time; but on reflection I met him at least twice; first time was when I picked up the Visayan learning materials and the second time was when I went to his social at Ayala with another board member.  I lived in UK in those days but joined this forum as soon as I learned about it and have to thank Paul for the knowledge and information that it has provided to me over the years, and still does, and which helped me make the decision to live here.

Paul gave me vacations from here when I expressed views that went against the rules (I particularly remember one incident where I made my thoughts about the British Monarchy known; Paul did not see it that way and booted me).  He was opposed to the Hash and held many other opinions which I absolutely did not agree with.  He had many people who were strongly opposed to him for various reasons; he was, as we Brits might say, Marmite (Vegemite to Aussies; you either love it or hate it).  However I found Paul to be OK both in person and online; even when he booted me he was reasonable and willing to chat about the reasons and how I might avoid further sanctions in future.

I enjoyed his posts about bee-keeping; something I knew absolutely nothing about; he improved my knowledge considerably in that area and it is now something I would consider, should I ever find myself living in a suitable area, taking on.

RIP Paul.

• Like 2

fred42

R.I.P LinC Boss.

LechonBuddha

RIP

Mr. Mike

It seems Samantha Petrea (daughter) is getting a load of trash posts on her Facebook page from AHs happy that Paul has passed.....perhaps we could post a little positive support on her page as well....just saying,

• Like 7

Bill H

Paul was a very interesting man, bright, and the founder of LinC.  I liked him.  I first met him in 2011 in CarCar after relocating to Moalboal in 2010.  We went to lunch at a Foreigner owned eatery he favored in CarCar.  We kept in touch over the years and he was part of the reason I moved to Cambodia.  Paul had a good heart, he helped more people than can be counted, he was bright with a good sense of humor.  I will miss him.

• Like 4

badian

once he told me over a beer in Cebu, one of the many beers we had together, that he didn't want to live past 60. I said how can you possibly say such a ridiculous thing and also I thought, despite his health problems that were already obvious even 10 years ago, that he would make that age. I'm very sorry to hear that he didn't. 

RIP.

DeedleNuts
5 hours ago, Mr. Mike said:

It seems Samantha Petrea (daughter) is getting a load of trash posts on her Facebook page from AHs happy that Paul has passed.....perhaps we could post a little positive support on her page as well....just saying,

I don't FB but I'd like to send her my condolences. Any contact method we can use?

Dafey

I'm glad to see this site has positive things to say about a departed brother.

If someone can provide his family's FB account please say so here and ask that the interested Members to PM you a request for it as we don't allow phone numbers, email addresses and social media addresses, for obvious reasons

• Like 1

Aerosick
24 minutes ago, Dafey said:

If someone can provide his family's FB account please say so here

I can give out Samantha's FB Account.

• Like 3

Mr. Mike

Can't we just do a FB search on Facebook?...………..Samantha Petrea.

fred42
6 hours ago, Mr. Mike said:

Can't we just do a FB search on Facebook?...………..Samantha Petrea.

I suppose you could but if you choose the wrong Samantha Petrea,it might get awkward.

Oz Jon

I never met Paul, but we had a good rapport over the net on this and the Cambodian forum for several years.

An amazing character, with some way-out views and not shy to share them. But we had  a kindred sense-of-humour, to our mutual enjoyment.

He did a lot of good and gave a lot of support to others.

I will miss him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MattFromGA

RIP Paul.

Its been 8 years since I lived in Cebu, but I knew Paul somewhat from the 5 or so times we did hang out. We also chatted online via the forums over the years.  I enjoyed chatting with him and discussing topics.  Like others, I was banned a few times, but overall did enjoy using the forums while I lived there.  I did a few of the Ayala expat gatherings, etc.  I'll never forget a few of the times we met up at bars.  I had some experiences with Paul that helped define my experience in Cebu.

This reminds of various people I used to know around the time I was in Cebu and knew Paul.  Does anyone else remember Daisy and Alan?

Aerosick
34 minutes ago, MattFromGA said:

This reminds of various people I used to know around the time I was in Cebu and knew Paul.  Does anyone else remember Daisy and Alan?

Getting off topic. Start another Thread on this if you want to.