Paul Petrea - LinC Founder Dead At 52

Still got Paul ( Woody Patrea )on FB .. out of the blue , in March , Chan posted on his FB page .. twice !
Freaked me a bit , when that popped up.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DeedleNuts

• Mr. Mike

• Headshot

• Dafey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I met Paul in 2002 in Cebu Ciyu and we have been close friends since.      He moved to Thailand for awhile for a change of scenery, visited Sihanoukville, Cambodia early 2012 on a visa renewal run and

Paul was cremated in Phnom Penh on December 9.   Chan has his ashs/urn with her at the farm.   I was a witness at the cremation.  

These days I come to this forum infrequently so I've only now learned the sad news of Paul's passing.  The expression "larger than life" would be an apt description of him methinks.  I met him a few t

Posted Images

DeedleNuts

Still miss you buddy, sleep well. 

• Like 2
fred42

Woody Petrea "If I die, at least it will be where I am happy."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Davaoeno

Woody Petrea " if I get an incurable disease I have a list of people I hope to kill before I die"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have to admit I lost contact with Paul when he moved away to Cambodia, we chatted now and again on here, asking how people where back in our town. And I rarely came on this forum, so was a bit shocked to learn that he passed away at such a young age. Too me he was a good person, never did anything personally bad to me, just being helpful over a beer or two, well JD for Paul of course. Just shows you never know what life holds for you and you should within reason, live life for the day, as it maybe your last. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
DeedleNuts
On 8/9/2019 at 11:43 PM, NRG said:

Just shows you never know what life holds for you and you should within reason, live life for the day

Talking with Paul and seeing his example helped me to live a little more in the moment and it's been an improvement to my life, so I'll always owe him that. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I'm sad to hear he's gone forever. Regardless of all the words thrown to him, good and bad reputation it might be PAUL PETREA was my LITTLE BIG BROTHER......He always had my respect and I believed it was vice versa. I was about to ask about him and by chance was led to click this thread. ...For me, LINC is PWP and PWP is LINC, always.

Edited by Daisy
  • Like 5
smokey

52 let that number sink in now go out and live like today is your last day

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
shadow
2 hours ago, smokey said:

52 let that number sink in now go out and live like today is your last day

If there was one thing Paul did do, it was live for today.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I happened to saw his you tube channel and I found out he was into farming. So probably he was changed and came to live his dreams in Cambodia....farming wife and son. How can we ask for more....at the end he got the best in life❤

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

I don't visit here often like I used to and when I finally do I find bad news like this. I'm going to miss the "BIG GUY" and wish that I would of took him up on his offer to come visit. RIP MY FRIEND,

el gecko with Paul.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • 4 months later...
TreeFrog
On 11/9/2018 at 6:51 AM, Busted Dick said:

Paul helped me when I first decided that I wanted to learn Visayan.  As far as I know he didn't speak it well himself but he had some good quality learning material which I have since lost.  He was one of the original creators of LINC and, if I remember correctly, used to host a weekly beer and pizza social do in Ayala.  I originally posted that I only met him the one time; but on reflection I met him at least twice; first time was when I picked up the Visayan learning materials and the second time was when I went to his social at Ayala with another board member.  I lived in UK in those days but joined this forum as soon as I learned about it and have to thank Paul for the knowledge and information that it has provided to me over the years, and still does, and which helped me make the decision to live here.

Paul gave me vacations from here when I expressed views that went against the rules (I particularly remember one incident where I made my thoughts about the British Monarchy known; Paul did not see it that way and booted me).  He was opposed to the Hash and held many other opinions which I absolutely did not agree with.  He had many people who were strongly opposed to him for various reasons; he was, as we Brits might say, Marmite (Vegemite to Aussies; you either love it or hate it).  However I found Paul to be OK both in person and online; even when he booted me he was reasonable and willing to chat about the reasons and how I might avoid further sanctions in future.

I enjoyed his posts about bee-keeping; something I knew absolutely nothing about; he improved my knowledge considerably in that area and it is now something I would consider, should I ever find myself living in a suitable area, taking on.

RIP Paul.

He chastised me as well about the forum, and when I told him he ran his forum like a police state, he told me it was his forum and he could run it the way he wanted.  I first met him online and in person in 2004.  

He was quite well known around Cebu City at that era.  There were far fewer foreign nationals living and visiting at that time than any other date in modern history, aside from this pandemic.  When out and about with him, he would be greeted by others, primarily foreigners very regularly.  When he did spot a foreigner or a group of foreigners he didn't know, he'd often make an attempt to engage and introduce himself at minimum.  Eventually he moved away from the city to the province in about 2008, to get away from all the attention, chaos, and drama he often attracted.  I gathered with him many times over the years, up until he moved away in about 2012.  

He taught me a lot about life, culture, and travel in the Philippines.  He taught me to ride a motorcycle.  I traveled a lot with the guy, even taking trips on our motorbikes (before he had a significant accident and gave it up), over to Leyte a few times, Mindanao, Negros Oriental and Occidental heaps of times, and all over the island of Cebu and its outlying islands.  I never saw him again after he moved away.  When I made subsequent visits to the country after he moved away, it felt like it wasn't quite the same anymore.  It was really regrettable that I didn't get to see him before he passed.  I was actually in the very process of putting together a plan to get over there within the coming week or two, when I got the bad news.  It happened so quickly.  

He really did support a lot of people he cared about.  He constantly sent money to his adopted child's parent, and other girls who fell on hard times.  He didn't let those he cared about be destitute if he could at all help it.  

RIP big bro.  I hope all those he loved and cared about are looked after and taken care of the way he would wish them to be for the remainder of their years.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1