Kreole

Driver License Urine (Drug) Test?

Kreole

Is it still required to get a urine test to get your driver's license?

lamoe

Yes - actually it's a 2 parter - In the cup not on the wall

• Confused 1

Woolf
10 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Is it still required to get a urine test to get your driver's license?

Only in region 7 (Cebu region),  in the rest of ph  no pee test

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 2

Headshot

I got my license renewed last month, and yes, they still required the urine drug test in Region 7 (Seaside LTO). That is even though they were directed to stop the drug testing several months ago. I guess bureaucratic rules are hard to change. They give you a cup and tell you to fill it up. They also say that if you are unable to fill the cup, you will have to get something to drink and try again. If they have to use a second cup, then you have to pay extra for the second cup.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Woolf

The drug test in region 7 may end soon   ??????

https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/cebu-news/2018/06/16/1825150/no-more-drug-tests-get-drivers-license

The Freeman

No more drug tests to get driver's license

Mylen P. Manto (The Freeman) - June 16, 2018 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  A drug test is no longer required when one applies for or renews a driver's license.

This was the ruling of the Court of Appeals 19th Division after it reversed and set aside the decision of a Regional Trial Court.

The RTC enjoined the Land Transportation Office and the Department of Transportation and Communications to comply with the mandatory drug testing, a requirement under Section 36 (a) of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

"Hence, because the assailed RTC orders were issued with grave abuse of discretion and are therefore void, all acts emanating from them have no force or effect. The writ of preliminary injunction issued in favor of private respondents, which eventually became permanent in the assailed decision, has no legal effect," read Associate Justice Louis Acosta's decision.

The LTO represented by former assistant secretary Alfonso Tan Jr. filed a petition for review before the CA.

Tan claimed that Toledo City, Cebu RTC Judge Hermes Montero acted with grave abuse of discretion amounting to lack or excess of jurisdiction when the latter granted Dulcisimo Tuldanes prayer for a writ of preliminary injunction.

Tuldanes, a resident of Toledo City, filed a declaration of nullity of a memorandum dated June 27, 2013 issued by former DOTC assistant secretary Virginia Torres, in her capacity as LTO chief, implementing RA 10586, which repeals Section 36 (a) of RA 9165.

RA 10586 or the Anti-Drunk and Drugged Driving Act of 2013 revokes the requirement of mandatory drug testing for the issuance or renewal of driver's license.

Tuldanes also filed a civil case of prohibition and a mandamus with prayer for temporary restraining order and writ of preliminary mandatory injunction against Torres and other Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) and LTO officials before RTC Branch 59.

Montero granted Tuldanes's petition on October 9, 2013 and issued an injunction, thus the drug test was restored.

The RTC judge ordered for the re-imposition of the drug test on all driver's license applicants

Despite the law abolishing the drug test as a pre-requisite in getting a driver's license, LTO-7 implemented it again to comply with the order of Montero.

The drug test costs more than P200.

But Acosta reversed Montero's decision, citing Section 19 of RA 10586, which was signed into law on May 27, 2013 by former president Benigno Aquino III.

"A law that has been expressly repealed ceases to exist and becomes inoperative from the moment the repealing law becomes effective. To our mind, the RTC gravely abused it's discretion when it issued the writ of preliminary injunction, and thereafter made it permanent, based on a provision of law that had already been expressly repealed," the associate justice said.—  KBQ (FREEMAN)

• Like 1

TimL

They should worry less about drug tests and consider implementing an actual drivers test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Kreole
6 hours ago, TimL said:

They should worry less about drug tests and consider implementing an actual drivers test. 

That is a good suggestion.  It is beyond me that drivers' licenses were issued in the first place without a test.  It must be obvious that the consequences of such policy has cost thousands of lives and caused considerable property damage that continues to this day.

I remember my first driver's license test at the age of 16 in the US, which I flunked because my brother's friend lent me his car to take the test, a car I had never driven before, so when I stepped on the power brake, I nearly sent the inspector through the windshield.

• Haha 2

Headshot
5 minutes ago, Kreole said:

It must be obvious that the consequences of such policy has cost thousands of lives

With one of the highest birthrates in the world, maybe the Philippines thinks that is OK...

• Like 1

lamoe
5 minutes ago, Kreole said:

That is a good suggestion.  It is beyond me that drivers' licenses were issued in the first place without a test.  It must be obvious that the consequences of such policy has cost thousands of lives and caused considerable property damage that continues to this day.

I remember my first driver's license test at the age of 16 in the US, which I flunked because my brother's friend lent me his car to take the test, a car I had never driven before, so when I stepped on the power brake, I nearly sent the inspector through the windshield.

Instructor "Drive around the block and follow all the rules of the road"

Shouldn't take more than 1 1/2 to 2 hours?

• Like 1

RogerDuMond
12 hours ago, Headshot said:

I got my license renewed last month, and yes, they still required the urine drug test in Region 7

I got mine renewed in June at LTO SM City. In and out in less than 20 minutes with no drug test.

Goetz1965

So if its not necessary why no one is complaining and just not doing it ?

But as long they never tell me that Im pregnant after they tested what I gave them its ok with me hahaha

T.S.
12 hours ago, lamoe said:

Instructor "Drive around the block and follow all the rules of the road"

Shouldn't take more than 1 1/2 to 2 hours?

Just find an empty lot and build a closed course. SRP maybe? I have seen multiple DMV testing locations like that in the USA. My test was on regular city streets though.

lamoe
8 minutes ago, T.S. said:

Just find an empty lot and build a closed course. SRP maybe? I have seen multiple DMV testing locations like that in the USA. My test was on regular city streets though.

Same as mine - Which would city rather have drivers test area or another condo hi rise?

My HS did have a training track - just south of main bldg

image.thumb.png.05152a16617e23c833f026494e75697d.png

Kreole

Update.  I just got back from the LTO and was required to get a drug test (P300) and a medical check up.  WTF !??!! So I had to turn around and go back to the provincial hospital, but today (Wednesday) they are only working with pregnant women in the out patient ward, so I will have to go back tomorrow and pay a late fine because by then I will have passed my license expiration date.  Is the new medical check up also required in other provinces?  How much does it cost?  And what does the medical exam entail?

• Like 1

Dafey

In the province I just sat down with the doctor and chatted, told a few jokes and talked about food. Here's 250 pesos, thanks doc