General Santos safe?

JackJohnson

Is General Santos safe for Americans?

Markham

I would say that travel to that part of Mindanao is highly ill-advised for any foreigner. But check the US Embassy website for the latest travel and security advice.

Paul

I would go there, without hesitation.

Our embassy, the US Embassy, is about as worthless of a government entity as there ever was. Unless you are active military (Read: Property of the US Giovernment) they won't give a shit about you.

Markham

Paul, you have a completely different perspective and experience borne out of living here for as long as you have. The OP, on the other hand, has no such experience to call on but if he had the same level of knowledge and expertise on the Philippines as you do, then you may be right.

General Santos City itself might be safe though sensible personal-safety precautions would be in order. It is among the list of cities and areas mentioned in Travel Advisories published by the US, UK and other governments as having a high level of kidnap and other anti-foreigner activities.

Our embassy, the US Embassy, is about as worthless of a government entity as there ever was. Unless you are active military (Read: Property of the US Government) they won't give a shit about you.

Alas that is true and not only of the US Embassy and it wasn't always so. But the non-travelling tax-payers don't like it when their Governments spend too much on helping citizens abroad.

Our embassy, the US Embassy, is about as worthless of a government entity as there ever was. Unless you are active military (Read: Property of the US Giovernment) they won't give a shit about you.

I second this notion. The US Gov't with the Embassy as its pawn has lied so much and so often that the truth is simply unimportant. (see this movie - www.zeitgeist.com)

I have been to Mindanao many times .. including the deep and wary parts like Cotabato..etc.. and the people were as nice as could be.. Yes there were checkpoints along the highway.. so what.. some people did ask me if I was afraid.. as if i should have been.. but not at all. Soon I will go to Zamboanga.. which again has warnings...

Gen San is far more relaxed... and Tuna sashimi is quite cheap and good there ! :)

Edited by Daves7