Jester

Been traveling for long time and never bothered with travel insurance,  assumed I had some protection using credit card.  Made a mental note to check with bank on coverage and never thought of it again.

I was young and healthy and not worried about missing trip, did not carry any valuables so was not worried about luggage being stolen and I think my homeowners covers it?

Now an am not so healthy and missing a trip is a real possibility.

Recently booked a trip with Cheap O Air and was offered travel insurance for $50 per person.

So question is,  is it worth it, is there better insurance or some better way to protect the investment? Is there a pre existing conditions not covered clause?

Any input greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Lordblacknail

well, yah, I use Cheapo, just booked our forever tickets to Tampa thru them. But I bought the travel insurance through USAA with Travel Insured. This was the only place I could find that would sell me travel insurance if I lived in the RP. $142 for the three of us, with much better coverage, I think, that Cheapo. 

• Like 2

Jester

Doing some due dilligence I found not to buy travel insurance through people selling tickets as it is  full of loopholes with many complaints.  Many are sold as travel protection so as to side step insurance laws. 

The top rated  travel insurance companys want in the $400 area to cover a $1500 trip.  But do I need all the coverage they provide?  25% is a very hefty premium. That is $200 times 2 people.

Checked with my Visa Platinum card and it is worthless,  emergency card and cash, rental car insurance, travel assistance and something about travel accident insurance which is not clearly explained.  Some cards are better and I would change cards but have already bought tickets so day late and a dollar short.

Will self insure for most of trip but feel as at my age and condition health insurance outside the US might be prudent?

So anyone have any suggestions on international health insurance. 

rfm010
12 hours ago, Jester said:

Doing some due dilligence I found not to buy travel insurance through people selling tickets as it is  full of loopholes with many complaints.  Many are sold as travel protection so as to side step insurance laws. 

The top rated  travel insurance companys want in the $400 area to cover a $1500 trip.  But do I need all the coverage they provide?  25% is a very hefty premium. That is $200 times 2 people.

Checked with my Visa Platinum card and it is worthless,  emergency card and cash, rental car insurance, travel assistance and something about travel accident insurance which is not clearly explained.  Some cards are better and I would change cards but have already bought tickets so day late and a dollar short.

Will self insure for most of trip but feel as at my age and condition health insurance outside the US might be prudent?

So anyone have any suggestions on international health insurance. 

The problem is it is hard to recommend a policy if one hasnt had to actually use it.  I use malayan but cant provide any real recommendation for it or any other insurance.  Allianz certainly has the name but i havent looked into it.  Probably i should.

Jester

Thanks for the response.   Out of the slew of sellers of insurance there are not many that seem to get recommended.

Before next trip I will definitely be changing credit cards to pick up some protection from them, my Visa is almost useless.  But even trying to sort through them is going to be time consuming.  Although at the moment I am leaning towards American Express. Not chiseled in stone yet, still looking.

American Express travel insurance is what I am leaning towards now, do not have to be a card carrying member to buy it.

They have alacart choices or various packages,  I can get what appears to be decent coverage for about $200 (US) total covering both of us.   Again the pesky pre existing conditions clause is included.  Their packages are only slightly more than what I would put together alacart. 

Still confused on this and hate to spend the money. 

HongKongPhooey

I would not recommend American Express. I’ve been working with their corporate card division with multiple employers for over 15 years and have never seen a claim paid under the coverage of corporate credit cards. They require so much proof of other insurance  coverage, police reports etc. that claimants just give up after a while.

My recommendation with any travel insurance is to know beforehand what documentation is required to file a claim and to get it when the event happens. For example, if you are hospitalised, what information has to be on the hospital invoice, or if stuff is stolen, is a police report required and what form it has to be in. The only personal claim I ever made involved PAL. It was an HSBC policy and HSBC required documentation from PAL as to the specfics of the event. I’m pretty sure HSBC would have paid the claim but PAL wouldn’t provide the information needed to file the claim. After so many calls and emails to PAL, I just gave up. If I had known what was required I would have gotten the information at the time it happened or recorded their refusal to provide.

Get a reputable insurer and coverage but know in advance what you need to file the claims. 

Jester
43 minutes ago, HongKongPhooey said:

I would not recommend American Express. I’ve been working with their corporate card division with multiple employers for over 15 years and have never seen a claim paid under the coverage of corporate credit cards. They require so much proof of other insurance  coverage, police reports etc. that claimants just give up after a while.

My recommendation with any travel insurance is to know beforehand what documentation is required to file a claim and to get it when the event happens. For example, if you are hospitalised, what information has to be on the hospital invoice, or if stuff is stolen, is a police report required and what form it has to be in. The only personal claim I ever made involved PAL. It was an HSBC policy and HSBC required documentation from PAL as to the specfics of the event. I’m pretty sure HSBC would have paid the claim but PAL wouldn’t provide the information needed to file the claim. After so many calls and emails to PAL, I just gave up. If I had known what was required I would have gotten the information at the time it happened or recorded their refusal to provide.

Get a reputable insurer and coverage but know in advance what you need to file the claims. 

Hmmmm,  any idea which one is reputable?   From due diligence it looks like all of them are littered with complaints and massive amounts of praise??  Below from a review site.

Amex Assurance

Talk about squeaky clean. I've received virtually no complaints about Amex Assurance products, which in and of itself is a powerful endorsement. Amex offers all kinds of protection and insurance policies, and you don't have to be a cardmember to qualify for coverage. If you run into problems, I always publish the Amex executive contacts on my advocacy site, too.

HongKongPhooey

If I lived in the US I would get USAA because that’s my US bank and any insurance I have had with them offered great customer service when filing a claim; but a quick view of your profile, I can’t tell if you are prior service.

Edited by HongKongPhooey

cookie47

The following is not a specific recommendation but just a heads up on our situation.

In the early days i didn't bother with travel insurance.

But finally realized that due to age it seemed like a good idea.

We insured mainstream brand names for many trips to PH and Europe over 15 years. However the closer I got to late 60s (now 71) i got the dreaded " Sorry,, due to age we are unable to insure you".
So, I found an on line insurer called

"Insure and Go.....

They insure up to 100 years old.
The Web application is easy.
Pre existing conditions which i have didn't change costing.
A six week holiday in PH would cost about $420 AU for two" seniors "..

They seem to have a US Website,

But.... BUT.......
I haven't needed to claim so are they any good. Dunno....
They have a blog which has reviews from fantastic too not so good.

Ive always found internet reviews from washing machines to cars a bit subjective and sometimes way off..

Never bothered to see what our credit cards cover (if anything) as a friend had a horror story which one some years ago...

Of course there must be many options out there AND every LINC member would have their own favourite.
This us just our situation...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

petecebu
41 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

"Insure and Go.....

They insure up to 100 years old.
The Web application is easy.
Pre existing conditions which i have didn't change costing.
A six week holiday in PH would cost about $420 AU for two" seniors "

Hi, are you using them as a full time resident of the Philippines?

cookie47
Hi, are you using them as a full time resident of the Philippines?
Hi, unfortunately no,.... Bad decision,,,, but also i was concerned that there may have been a technical hiccup in a claim environment as we would have been technically residents and not travelers. Yes true how would they know....... But..

The wheels fell of our plans in regards to Healthcare.

The planned was to get Philhealth on arrival and back Philhealth up financially with personal funds when needed OR get some cover through Blue Cross or the like which now looks the most logical..

My wife was accepted no problem, but Philhealth will NOT sign me up as i cannot get an ACR card (in Cebu) and need to go to Manila, SO... I am at the moment in Limbo... This was discussed in depth in another health thread.

I know this is a long winded answer but its just for your clarification regarding our situation....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1