Washer/Dryer from abroad... BAD Purchase!

death_by_cupcake

SkyMan

Anyone know if a 1:1 xfmr w/ a center tap is possible? 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• death_by_cupcake

• Woolf

• Bama

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought a Samsung 6kg frontload washing machine from Imperial Appliance in Mandaue for p26k. Never looked back. We average 3 to 4 loads every day. Almost 2 years old now. The whites are still presoa

Sort of kidding about moving or selling the unit to someone in the VECO area.  That's a tough one.  Perhaps you should talk with your company.  Offhand maybe using a voltage divider would work. 

Sell the unit or rewire the supply we used a guy named romy who remodled our house its all in the plug pm me if you want his phone

SkyMan
11 minutes ago, Bama said:

When turned on---the washer would leak out the hot water connection.Had to tee off the cold water supply to both hot and cold water connections and it worked.

Why not put a POU water heater on the hot side?  Of course,  if the cold water runs out the hot side I don't know if that would work. 

Edited by SkyMan
Davaoeno

Why not just send an email to GE and ask them - I'm sure you aren't the first person who has ever had this problem 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Doesn't the OP own or use to own a laundromat...:P

• Haha 1
Davaoeno

Exceptions to this are clothes dryers, stoves/ovens/cooktops, and US and Canadian air conditioners intended to be run on a North American 220-240 volt circuit. You're probably already aware of the fact that clothes dryers and cooking appliances (stoves/ovens) typically plug into different types of outlets to begin with, as opposed to normal household outlets. This is because those appliances run on two-phase circuits. A normal household circuit has one 120 volt phase wire and one neutral wire, whereas a circuit for a clothes dryer or stove/oven has two 120 volt phase wires. This is also different from Europe, the UK and other countries where normal household outlets are 220-240 volts, because in those countries, those circuits consist of a single 220-240 volt phase wire and a neutral wire, as opposed to two 120 volt phase wires. Bottom line? They're incompatible, even with a voltage transformer. A local electrician may be able to solve the problem, but it's going to require some re-wiring. A gadget like a voltage transformer isn't going to help.

https://www.adaptelec.com/Country-Specific-Answers/Electrical-Plug-Outlet-and-Voltage-Information-for-Philippines

• Thanks 1
SkyMan
3 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Doesn't the OP own or use to own a laundromat...:P

Well, she did check to get the right voltage but didn't check the grounding. My neighbor ran into similar problems bringing a US 220v W/D and we have VECO and his house is wired 220/110. House was wired a bit wrong.  Took most of a year and and a fried control board to get it right.

SkyMan
15 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Why not just send an email to GE and ask them - I'm sure you aren't the first person who has ever had this problem 

Maybe but different models are sold in different countries for this reason.  I imagine using a US sold unit in the PI probably exceeds the intended use. Though I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a PI model. 

Edited by SkyMan
death_by_cupcake

Well all this news is devastating  :-(

Is there are market here to sell it?  I've got a couple thousand $ into it already.

SkyMan
12 minutes ago, death_by_cupcake said:

Well all this news is devastating  :-(

Is there are market here to sell it?  I've got a couple thousand $ into it already.

Smokey will buy it.

• Haha 1
Davaoeno

Can you sell it here ? Well - if you are honest with  any prospect buyers and tell them that you might have already fried it I would think not .  Unless  of course you find someone who knows what they are doing and thinks they can fix it and then resell it at a profit .  I find few people like that here though .

Why not ask GE [ as I mentioned] and see what they have to say ??

Just now, SkyMan said:

Smokey will buy it.

There might have been a time when Smokey was called naive but those days are loooong gone !! 

death_by_cupcake

Of course, if I sold it, I would guarantee it'll work.  If the control board got fried, then I'll ship a new one from the States.

33 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Why not put a POU water heater on the hot side?  Of course,  if the cold water runs out the hot side I don't know if that would work. 

Didn't require hot water to wash clothes---so we didn't bother.

With the cold supply split by a tee and connected to both the hot and cold connections---the pressure on both sides of the water control valve are now equal and the leakage is stopped.

I found this solution on the net and I bet the 240V solution for the OP's dryer connection can be found there also.

SkyMan

But it would work in Smokey's house if it works at all. 

Here is a long thread from the archives where this subject discussed at length.

• Thanks 1