Washer/Dryer from abroad... BAD Purchase!

death_by_cupcake

death_by_cupcake

The washing machines and dryers here in the Philippines leave much to be desired, so I thought I was being clever by shipping a unit in from abroad.  This whole situation is depressing and I feel like I just wasted  thousands dollars and have a giant paperweight on my hands.  

When I saw this heavy duty washer/dryer double stacked machine on sale in the US, and saw that it was powered by 240 volts, I carefully considered the purchase and happy I did. It has arrived and trying to hook it up:

I have learned so far:

Philippines voltage is two-wire system:  240v on one line, the other is neutral.  No ground.

In the US in order to have 240v, they basically combine two 120v lines in the same plug.

While the washer/dryer takes a 240v line, it's factory wired to take one of those legs (120v) and power up  the motors, control board, mostly everything.  The only time 240v is used in the machine are for the heating coils of the dryer.  

The electrician I'm using here doesn't know what he is talking about and may have fried the system already as evident when I got shocked lifting the lid for the first time.  He says this dryer takes 3 phase which I know he is incorrect.  3 phase electric is commercial only.  This is a residential machine and 3phase doesn't exist in US homes.

What are my options?

Using transformers in the laundry room, send two 120v legs to the machine?  Rewire machine?  Is there an solution?  Will this thing every work?

This is the paperweight currently sitting in my laundry room:  https://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/GUD27ESSMWW

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• death_by_cupcake

• Woolf

• Bama

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought a Samsung 6kg frontload washing machine from Imperial Appliance in Mandaue for p26k. Never looked back. We average 3 to 4 loads every day. Almost 2 years old now. The whites are still presoa

Sort of kidding about moving or selling the unit to someone in the VECO area.  That's a tough one.  Perhaps you should talk with your company.  Offhand maybe using a voltage divider would work. 

Sell the unit or rewire the supply we used a guy named romy who remodled our house its all in the plug pm me if you want his phone

SkyMan
20 minutes ago, death_by_cupcake said:

Using transformers in the laundry room, send two 120v legs to the machine?  Rewire machine?  Is there an solution?  Will this thing every work?

Move to a VECO supplied area which provides 2 110v lines just like the US but without a  ground. You can get a ground though.  Probably too late as the unit is probably toast already.

death_by_cupcake
Just now, SkyMan said:

Move to a VECO supplied area which provides 2 110v lines just like the US but without a  ground. You can get a ground though.  Probably too late as the unit is probably toast already.

Moving is not an option as I recently purchased and renovated this home.  And, moving for the sake of a washing machine seems a bit extreme.  Since the machine didn't run, it's probably okay, but control board could have become fried which can be replaced if so.

There's got to be a solution to this mess I've gotten myself into.

I bought a Samsung 6kg frontload washing machine from Imperial Appliance in Mandaue for p26k.

Never looked back. We average 3 to 4 loads every day. Almost 2 years old now. The whites are still presoaked for a day to ensure "whiteness" but everything else comes out sparkling clean.

For a dryer we use the Mother Nature brand and it takes about 4 to 5 hours but costs nothing.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
SkyMan

Sort of kidding about moving or selling the unit to someone in the VECO area. 

That's a tough one.  Perhaps you should talk with your company.  Offhand maybe using a voltage divider would work.  2 very large resistors in series.  Connect ground and 220v to the ends from the supply, then use the 2 ends as 110v lines to the washer with the middle as ground. 

• Like 1
death_by_cupcake
4 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Sort of kidding about moving or selling the unit to someone in the VECO area. 

That's a tough one.  Perhaps you should talk with your company.  Offhand maybe using a voltage divider would work.  2 very large resistors in series.  Connect ground and 220v to the ends from the supply, then use the 2 ends as 110v lines to the washer with the middle as ground. 

Tell me more about a voltage divider.  Never heard of them.  Are they easily found and connected?  Don't want a bunch of electronics in a laundry room where water is splashing everywhere, but will do whatever it takes to make this work.

SkyMan

I could try to provide a schematic later.  It's fairly simple and someone would have to build it as not an off the shelf item. If the 110v side of your unit drew too much power it could throw off the 110 voltages but I don't think that would happen. The divider would draw some power while it's on though.

death_by_cupcake
Just now, SkyMan said:

I could try to provide a schematic later.  It's fairly simple and someone would have to build it as not an off the shelf item. If the 110v side of your unit drew too much power it could throw off the 110 voltages but I don't think that would happen. The divider would draw some power while it's on though.

dang, sounds complicated and a bit risky.

death_by_cupcake

Could we use something like an off the shelf voltage regulator/transformer?  We use one for our 120v TV and sound system.  Could we take two 120v outputs from that machine and combine into one cable making a 240v with two legs?  Possible?

SkyMan

You'd have to take the 2 legs out of phase. It might work but also the AVR might burst into flames. 

smokey

Sell the unit or rewire the supply we used a guy named romy who remodled our house its all in the plug pm me if you want his phone

• Like 1
Davaoeno
Just now, smokey said:

You should probably tell him Smokey that you have both 240 and 120 in your house and had to buy your own transformer to do so  [  just so he is aware that the electrical system in your house is far from normal ]

• Like 1

Have you sorted out the water connections to the washer yet?

Bought a full size washer over a year ago---what  a labor saver it turned out to be.As I only have cold water available at the washer site I connected up the cold fill hose and thought that I was done. When turned on---the washer would leak out the hot water connection.Had to tee off the cold water supply to both hot and cold water connections and it worked.

Also ran into faucet/tee fitting issues as both American and British standards can be found here and they don't interchange.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Is the W/D a brand sold here? Perhaps their people can help.