Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Snakes of the Philippines

Paul
before i met my girl that lives in naga she said when i go there to naga she will take me hiking through the mountains when i actually got there i said aare there many snakes up there and are they poisonous and she replies yes many snakes we just shoo them away with a stick im thinking 2 myself hmmm that sounds like it would piss the snakes off more than anything and im no steve irwin so i declined her offer on the nature walk now im glad i did after reading this post.

Wait a minute here, mate. You, an Aussie, who hails from the country of the eight most dangerous snakes in the world (according to Steve Irwin several years back), and the Red Back Spider, that you have to clear out of the dunny by burning paper in it, are worried about one or two little poisonous snakes? Mate, you are lettin' me down here. :D :D :D

patrickau
Wait a minute here, mate. You, an Aussie, who hails from the country of the eight most dangerous snakes in the world (according to Steve Irwin several years back), and the Red Back Spider, that you have to clear out of the dunny by burning paper in it, are worried about one or two little poisonous snakes? Mate, you are lettin' me down here. :D:D:D

Sorry Buddy i know ive let the team down :):lol::lol::lol: the way she made it sound they were everywhere i had a flashback of a simpsons episode wasnt it snake whacking day hm i dont know and yeah last thing i wanted was a snake bite in cebu i like breathing personally,yeah we have a few dangerous creepy crawlies here but i tend to stay away from them if i can i dont go looking for them as a kid we use to go looking for brown snakes deadly hobby that was haha i think as a kid we all have a bit of steve irwin in us. i have a few redbacks in the shed they dont bother me too much B)

michael52

we took a rattler alive in colorado once, put it in a burlap bag and when we got home, figured it must have bitten itself to death. venom obviously cooked out in the frying pan. pretty good, like greasy chicken, not very meaty. made a hat band outta the skin.

Jess Bartone

While Mary and I were touring Northern Mindanao, I went into some bushes to drain the dragon, and this small, striped snake, I think it was black and yellow, slithered towards me. Not wanting to splash the boots, and not having any other weapon near to hand, I squirted him right in the eyes, so I guess you could say they had an eye to eye confrontation, the 2-eyed snake admitted defeat and left.

lazydays
if you are bitten badly will there be serum at the hospital???

In this case, it was a dog that was bitten, but died that night.

Another dog that Ralf owns, apparently had licked some saliva or other moisture from the dead dog became sick later. They took that dog to the vet too. I do not know if it lived or not, yet.

But, I do know there was no anti-venom for the snake bite.

I am trying to contact someone now to see if they can help me obtain more information about this. I go to Mindanao far too often, for me not to consider the safety factor here. Of course, in all my years visiting Mindanao, I have yet to see a cobra, or any other snake for that matter.

Recently, a non-venomous snake was caught under a bridge near my apartment. It was about 1.5 meters long, over all. I will see if I can find the photos I took of it that day. If so, I will post them here.

My wife was brought up in a small farming village in Bukidnon,Mindanao.

She has never seen any Cobra's and does not know anyone who has.

I asked her "why not"(stupid question doh).

She tells me they are mostly in the Jungle areas in the mountains.

lazydays

I did read somewhere, long time ago,that there are Red Back Spiders in the Philippines.

However it stated that they are extremely rare and only in remote areas.

Jess Bartone

I did read somewhere, long time ago,that there are Red Back Spiders in the Philippines.

However it stated that they are extremely rare and only in remote areas.

Redbacks are good at hitching rides through sea cargo. Apparently they are now in Japan too, by this method, and the Japanese are not too happy about it. If they are in Phils, I'm guessing that's how they got there.

I read somewhere that there are 2 species in one, the red stripes suited to extreme heat, and the orange can tolerate cold.

"Redback Spiders are found throughout Australia. They are common in disturbed and urban areas. They belong to the Family Theridiidae, which is found worldwide. The notorious Black Widow Spider ( Latrodectus sp ) of the United States is a close relative of the Redback Spider, and only differs in appearance by the absence of a red dorsal stripe. Other species of Latrodectus occur in the Africa Pacific Islands, New Zealand, Europe and North and South America."