Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Snakes of the Philippines

samatm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2694492

http://www.curehunter.com/public/pubmed2694492.do check these links out regarding using Tensilon to treat Philppine Cobra paralysis. In the Philippines the drug is called "Tensimin" not sure if its available at Mercury drugs though...but I will check on it.

Alan S

I hate to worry people, but from the little I have read, a far greater risk is sea snakes, or some type of shell fish that burrows under the sand then shoots a dart into any foot, etc that presses down upon it.

I'm sure someone will put a name to it, and also amplify the sea snake situation.

til

Sea snakes are very poisonous but peaceful, they won't really bite if you don't try to catch them.

The mortality rate for bites is relativly low, because the snake doesn't use all its poison (75% of bites contain no poison at all)

I've had a close encounter with one last time snorkeling:

LasVEgasRon

The snake in the picture with the 2 guys is a Reticulated Python. They can get to 20 foot long. Most are mean (have a bad disposition) and they have long teeth to grab birds as they fly by. Sea snakes are usually not aggressive and will seldom bite even if you pick them up. The Cobra is like the Sea Snake and has fixed fangs and would have a tough time biting through shoes or thick gloves. They strike much slower then a pit viper, and you can almost hand grab them. (Only if you feel lucky

Without Antivenom a Cobra bite would most likly be fatal. I'm sure somewhere they have it, maybe Cebu or Manila.

I have 40 years of collecting and keeping reptiles and have had expeience with most of the stuff found there in the Phil.

til

I do know sea snakes are not aggressive, but when it headed straight for me I felt a bit ... ehm .. weird. But I did manage to take a foto, while my fianc

Paul
The snake in the picture with the 2 guys is a Reticulated Python. They can get to 20 foot long. Most are mean (have a bad disposition) and they have long teeth to grab birds as they fly by.

First, thanks again, for identifying the snake for me. I know little about them, personally.

Anyway, I understood this one's bad disposition that day. The guy had him in a box that was nowhere near big enough for the snake to be in. (You can see the box in the images I have provided.) As I came up that afternoon, and noticed the Filipinos standing around, one little girl was poking a stick in the box at the snake. I took it away from her and asked her how would she like it if that were done to her? I figured the snake was stressed out already, due to everything that was happening around it.

I have 40 years of collecting and keeping reptiles and have had expeience with most of the stuff found there in the Phil.

Can you share any other information you may have, on other snakes (especially if they are venomous) in the Philippines? Any resource you may provide would be greatly appreciated.

LasVEgasRon

I have very little information on the Reptiles found there. I did find a study based on the island of Panay which is close to Cebu. When I finally move there I will go out and see what I could find and there are new discoveries made on the islands all of the time. This study says there are 20 Amphibians, 36 Lizards, 1 Turtle and 35 Snakes. They found 6 new and up to 15 new species and expect more as time goes on.

I know about the Cobras, Sea Snkes, and there is a pit viper or 2 found there. Watch out for Boiga species. ( Mangrove snakes) Black with yellow cross stripes. (rear fanged and can do damage)

As I get more information I will pass it on. I figure I could write a field guide, which is something I would enjoy once I get there and do some research.

Some of the more exciting Lizards are, Tokay gecko ( big blue-grey lizard climbs walls, glass) The bite hard !, The Sailfin lizard, Can't wait to catch one ( like a big iguana) and the Draco, (flying lizard).

tom_shor
I have very little information on the Reptiles found there. I did find a study based on the island of Panay which is close to Cebu. When I finally move there I will go out and see what I could find and there are new discoveries made on the islands all of the time. This study says there are 20 Amphibians, 36 Lizards, 1 Turtle and 35 Snakes. They found 6 new and up to 15 new species and expect more as time goes on.

I know about the Cobras, Sea Snkes, and there is a pit viper or 2 found there. Watch out for Boiga species. ( Mangrove snakes) Black with yellow cross stripes. (rear fanged and can do damage)

As I get more information I will pass it on. I figure I could write a field guide, which is something I would enjoy once I get there and do some research.

Some of the more exciting Lizards are, Tokay gecko ( big blue-grey lizard climbs walls, glass) The bite hard !, The Sailfin lizard, Can't wait to catch one ( like a big iguana) and the Draco, (flying lizard).

Don't forget monitor lizards. Taste just like chicken. :o

eggnoggin

the shell...conus conus..... if theres nothing else... pig lard.. and lots of it... 2 quarts orally for dogs with rattler or moccasin bites.. not sure how effective on neurotoxics... works like a champ for the hemotoxics and to quell cyto damage...maybe 3 quarts for average human... carried shotguns while mapping in ethiopia.. shot a mamba following the jeep as we crawled along a lumpy patch... followed his trail in the dust back 25 yards or so..used to go to a ceremony in PI where as a 3 year old ... i watched a teenage girl kiss the back of a king cobras hood on a yearly basis..it lived in a big rock igloo... always a bunch of baby ducks scattered around...sea snakes are highly aggressive during the mating season...i did the lard after stepping on a rattler in aruba while turning around my scooter at the dump ...worked like a champ...stopped up rat holes around the hootch.. put a cs in one hole and waited for the targets to come out with their paws up ...a bunch of rats followed by three "really fast" cobras... talk about some massive firepower.. from m79 shotgun rounds to 15s full auto... sirens chaos falstaff and lots of pissed off lifers with spotty shorts.... under a cargo chute... on a keystone cops... sunday afternoon.. :o

tom_shor
the shell...conus conus..... if theres nothing else... pig lard.. and lots of it... 2 quarts orally for dogs with rattler or moccasin bites.. not sure how effective on neurotoxics... works like a champ for the hemotoxics and to quell cyto damage...maybe 3 quarts for average human... carried shotguns while mapping in ethiopia.. shot a mamba following the jeep as we crawled along a lumpy patch... followed his trail in the dust back 25 yards or so..used to go to a ceremony in PI where as a 3 year old ... i watched a teenage girl kiss the back of a king cobras hood on a yearly basis..it lived in a big rock igloo... always a bunch of baby ducks scattered around...sea snakes are highly aggressive during the mating season...i did the lard after stepping on a rattler in aruba while turning around my scooter at the dump ...worked like a champ...stopped up rat holes around the hootch.. put a cs in one hole and waited for the targets to come out with their paws up ...a bunch of rats followed by three "really fast" cobras... talk about some massive firepower.. from m79 shotgun rounds to 15s full auto... sirens chaos falstaff and lots of pissed off lifers with spotty shorts.... under a cargo chute... on a keystone cops... sunday afternoon.. :lmao:

What color is the sky on your world? :lol:

Alan S
What color is the sky on your world? :P

There is a lot of information in the previous post, but it sure is hard to find in that layout.

thebob

Caught a couple of lizards in Batangas. Nice adobo style.

post-4563-1241688497_thumb.jpg

aussiedon
What color is the sky on your world? :P

I've never laughed so much.

aussiedon
No. This is quite a serious post. A fellow I know lost his dog this past weekend, in Gingoog, Northern Mindanao. Basically, Ralf heard the dogs barking that evening. He figured it was a typical night. He didn't find out until the following morning, when he went out and found his dog dead, that she had protected the family from a snake that had come onto to the property. Although the dog died, the snake had been killed by the animal. So, she served her master until the end.

You may find Ralf, and others, on the G! Yahoo Group.

In my house in Pardo my cat (Australian) sussed out a 6ft snake under the lounge chair (sofa) I was sitting on, scared the shit out of me. I dont know what kind it was and the locals didnt seem to know either. I asked if it was poisonous and was told of course all snakes here are, ,a bit of research revealed that wasnt the case . I'll have to find and post a pic of it.