Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Snakes of the Philippines

Paul

While I am quite sure there are many others, I am focusing on one type of snake, for now... cobras.

The Southeastern Philippine Cobra, or Samar Cobra (Naja Samarensis) lives in Mindanao, Bohol, Leyte, Samar, and on Camiguin Island.

gallery_1_99_1195.jpg

The Philippine Cobra (Naja philippinensis) is found primarily on Luzon, Mindoro, Catanduanes, and Masbate.

gallery_1_99_46418.jpg

Wikipedia Information: Philippine Cobra

misty
While I am quite sure there are many others, I am focusing on one type of snake, for now... cobras.

The Samar Cobra (Naja Samarensis) lives in Mindanao, Bohol, Leyte, Samar, and on Camiguin Island.

gallery_1_99_1195.jpg

Willy! :)

USMC-Retired

when I saw you posted this I was worried that it might the "one eyed version" Thus finding its way into many Filipinas pants. It can be deadly and cause severe abdominal swelling.

Paul

No. This is quite a serious post. A fellow I know lost his dog this past weekend, in Gingoog, Northern Mindanao. Basically, Ralf heard the dogs barking that evening. He figured it was a typical night. He didn't find out until the following morning, when he went out and found his dog dead, that she had protected the family from a snake that had come onto to the property. Although the dog died, the snake had been killed by the animal. So, she served her master until the end.

• Like 1

LasVEgasRon

Is there any books available to let you know what Reptiles are found in the area? When I was in Cebu, I didn't find any in the book store. Wish there was a field guide to buy.

Paul
Here is the only book I found. It is on Amazon (used), and a bit pricey: Philippine Reptiles & Amphibiansir?t=pointmancebu-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0007C1Y6A

Mik
CTC-3088-image6.jpg

shadow

The Southeastern Philippine Cobra, or Samar Cobra (Naja Samarensis) lives in Mindanao, Bohol, Leyte, Samar, and on Camiguin Island.

gallery_1_99_1195.jpg

The Philippine Cobra (Naja philippinensis) is found primarily on Luzon, Mindoro, Catanduanes, and Masbate.

gallery_1_99_46418.jpg

Wikipedia Information: Philippine Cobra

We had a pit viper in our house a year or two ago. Freaked the wifey out a bit. I assured her there was good news and bad news. Bad news they are highly poisonous. Good news rarely fatal.

Larry in Dumaguete

Jim Sibbick
No. This is quite a serious post. A fellow I know lost his dog this past weekend, in Gingoog, Northern Mindanao. Basically, Ralf heard the dogs barking that evening. He figured it was a typical night. He didn't find out until the following morning, when he went out and found his dog dead, that she had protected the family from a snake that had come onto to the property. Although the dog died, the snake had been killed by the animal. So, she served her master until the end.

You may find Ralf, and others, on the G! Yahoo Group.

Every time I visit Albuera on Leyte, I hear another story of some one dead from a cobra.

Kids are always being bitten when playing along the river.

The only one I ever saw was a baby slithering across the front yard. I thought it was a big worm until told otherwise. Apparently they can kill too!

Regards; Jim

upatnitemikey

if you are bitten badly will there be serum at the hospital???

Paul

In this case, it was a dog that was bitten, but died that night.

Another dog that Ralf owns, apparently had licked some saliva or other moisture from the dead dog became sick later. They took that dog to the vet too. I do not know if it lived or not, yet.

But, I do know there was no anti-venom for the snake bite.

I am trying to contact someone now to see if they can help me obtain more information about this. I go to Mindanao far too often, for me not to consider the safety factor here. Of course, in all my years visiting Mindanao, I have yet to see a cobra, or any other snake for that matter.

Recently, a non-venomous snake was caught under a bridge near my apartment. It was about 1.5 meters long, over all. I will see if I can find the photos I took of it that day. If so, I will post them here.

Paul

A Reticulated Python (thanks to LasVEgasRon for identifying the snake) caught by a local Filipino under a bridge near my home. It was about 1.5 meters long.

gallery_189_172153.jpg

gallery_189_106034.jpg

eggnoggin

walked about .... for a few days from mnl to and around ac.. spent a few days in say boo... just to put faces with names..one guy came out the back of a restaraunt kitchen around 2 am ... i was cuttin across a lot and stepped on a stack of old tires to get my bearings,, he saw me from about 4 feet away and left a "big brown snake" on his way to the "house"... kinda hurt my feelins :)

Daves7

Interesting thread.. as in Thailand, Indonesia etc.. you hear much more about snakes and there fear factor..

While I know they exist.. until now..I have never heard anyone mention them or even fear of them though I am sure both exist.. it is clearly a matter thats under the radar for most.

Jim Sibbick

Not on Leyte

The nearest big hospital is in Ormoc City. They have no serum.

So, if you are bitten, you will probably be dead.

Regards: Jim