TerryF

Moving to Cebu City

TerryF

Hello,

Im new to this group. Anyway, I plan on relocating to Cebu City next July and hopefully do some teaching. I teach at an International school here in Central America. Been here two years now and I want to try somewhere else.

Any hints on which schools are looking for good teachers with International cultural experience? I am talking with a very nice lady in Cebu and no she isnt asking for money. She owns a supermarket so she is fully independent. I can either help her if I choose or find my own work. So any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks So Much!

Salud,

Dafey

Hello Terry and Welcome!

I'm not able to answer your question myself but there are plenty of Members that will probably have information for you.If there are any questions about the forum please feel free to ask.

Edwin

I would ask Headshot about the schools. He knows just about everything.  

• Haha 1

TerryF

Ok, who is Headshot?

TerryF

I tried getting to it and I get an error. Something about the type of account I have. Any help?

Salty Dog
3 hours ago, TerryF said:

I tried getting to it and I get an error. Something about the type of account I have. Any help?

New members can't access member's profiles.

Go to this forum and check out the topics. https://www.livingincebuforums.com/forum/180-schools-and-education-in-the-philippines

Dafey

@Headshot, will surely join us here and add his welcome

Bama
11 hours ago, TerryF said:

Hello,

Im new to this group. Anyway, I plan on relocating to Cebu City next July and hopefully do some teaching. I teach at an International school here in Central America. Been here two years now and I want to try somewhere else.

Any hints on which schools are looking for good teachers with International cultural experience? I am talking with a very nice lady in Cebu and no she isnt asking for money. She owns a supermarket so she is fully independent. I can either help her if I choose or find my own work. So any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks So Much!

Salud,

I would advise that you spend a lot of time digging through the archives to help ensure that you understand the good and not so good aspects of living in the PI.

This recent thread might be a good place to start.

Headshot
7 hours ago, TerryF said:

Ok, who is Headshot?

I'm Headshot, and Edwin wasn't complimenting me. Some people think I'm a know-it-all, but I'm not. I just try to help people, and I don't hesitate to research subjects. I'm also not afraid to voice an opinion, even if it may be wrong. If others correct me, then I have learned even more. There are those who are childish in that they feel the need to castigate me if I make an incorrect assertion. I'm sure those people have never been wrong in their lives.

Welcome to LinC Forums. There is a lot of good information already here, so you should read as much as you can.

There are two fully certified and recognized international schools here, but I have no idea if either is looking for teachers or if either would pay you very much if they were looking. The two best international schools are CIS and CIE. CIS uses an American curriculum and CIE uses a British curriculum.

There are a few other international schools here, but I'm not sure they are fully certified. Woodbridge International School, Royal Oaks International School and The Singapore School are probably worth a look for you. Again, I have no idea if any of them are looking for teachers or if they pay a decent salary. I believe all of the schools I have mentioned have websites with contact information, so you can get in touch with them if you are interested.

I researched all of these schools when we were looking for a school for our daughter, but we didn't choose any of them. Instead, she attends SHS Ateneo de Cebu, which is, by far, the best non-international school in the Cebu metro area.

Good luck on your search.

Edited by Headshot

RangerUp
19 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I researched all of these schools when we were looking for a school for our daughter, but we didn't choose any of them. Instead, she attends SHS Ateneo de Cebu,

Why Ateneo and not Woodbridge?

Dafey
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Some people think I'm a know-it-all, but I'm not. I just try to help people, and I don't hesitate to research subjects.

Well I think you're very knowledgeable in many areas and local schools is one you often have good advice.

• Thanks 1

Headshot
23 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Why Ateneo and not Woodbridge?

In addition to being a highly respected school, Ateneo has a huge campus with lots of activities and facilities (such as sports, a swimming pool and additional lessons and clubs), whereas Woodbridge has a very small campus (one building) with virtually no activities or facilities. We are Catholic, so that wasn't a down-side for us about Ateneo (of course that wouldn't be the same for everybody). In addition to a great education (where learning Mandarin Chinese is part of the curriculum), our daughter takes lessons in ukulele, has learned to swim and participates in the dance club. None of those are available at Woodbridge. CIS also has a big campus, and there are quite a few available activities there, but it is also three times as much money. CIE has a smaller campus, but they also have some activities. They are also much more expensive than Ateneo. In fact, ALL of the international schools I listed are more expensive with less to offer than Ateneo. We were looking for a well-rounded education, not just a school. That was why we chose Ateneo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1