Bama

Eight Philippine schools on Asia’s top 500

Bama

Seeking opinions here.Is the U of the Philippines really that good? Can a graduate of UP expect financial success in their future? Are there better options in country?

http://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/278861/eight-philippine-schools-on-asia-s-top-500.html

Eight Philippine schools on Asia’s top 500

More Philippine higher education institutions have made it to the Top 500 Universities in Asia in the Quacquarelli Symonds 2019 ranking. The country’s premier state university, the University of the Philippines, went up three notches from 75th rank to 72nd.  Joining UP in the list of top universities are Ateneo de Manila University (115th) De La Salle University (155th) and University of Santo Tomas (162nd). MSU-IIT joins University of San Carlos, Mapua University, and Silliman University in the 300-500 bracket. 

“I commend the eight universities that are now part of the latest QS Asian university rankings and I look forward to more Philippine universities entering the top 500 in the coming years,” Commission on Higher Education chairman Prospero de Vera III. “To further boost the quality and competitiveness of our public and private institutions, the Commission will soon launch a project through its International Affairs Service that will assist Philippine universities to showcase their excellence to the world, promote their internationalization initiatives and increase global reputation through international benchmarking assessment of institutions using internationalization metrics,” De Vera added.

• Like 3

Kabisay-an gid

Quacquarelli Symonds is a British company that is internationally respected in the area of international university rankings. You can take it to the bank that their rankings are pretty accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
4 hours ago, Bama said:

Is the U of the Philippines really that good?

UP is one of the only universities in the Philippines where the curriculum is modeled on western curriculums, with required and elective courses. Almost all other colleges and universities here have a set curriculum for each major, and ALL students take the same courses at the same time. That, by itself would set it apart.

In addition, UP is one of the only universities in the Philippines that has no uniform or regimented dress and grooming code. Most universities here spend more time ensuring compliance from their students than they do teaching. This shows that UP is not just another university in the same mold as all other universities.

UP also requires individual research and projects from students. Most universities here have students team up on assignments, so it is possible to get through courses without ever actually understanding the material. Exams in most universities in the Philippines are based on rote memorization, unlike UP or western universities, which require students to show some actual understanding of the course material.

Now, this knowledge comes from knowing several people who attended UP, and many, many people who went to other universities in the Philippines. I have no first-hand knowledge myself, since I finished my education many years ago is the US.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Bama
17 minutes ago, Headshot said:

UP is one of the only universities in the Philippines where the curriculum is modeled on western curriculums, with required and elective courses.

Everything that you posted about U of P sounds good.

If a persons graduates from this university---I know that there are a lot of factors involved--do they have a reasonable chance of having a successful career? I've met a number of college grads or students that have a good bit of college behind them who end up working at Robinson's. This type of situation is what I'm trying to avoid with a few nieces that are coming along.

Headshot
3 minutes ago, Bama said:

If a persons graduates from this university---I know that there are a lot of factors involved--do they have a reasonable chance of having a successful career? I've met a number of college grads or students that have a good bit of college behind them who end up working at Robinson's. This type of situation is what I'm trying to avoid with a few nieces that are coming along.

A lot depends on how well they do on their own in the university (class standing and awards), but if everything else is equal, the better the university that students attend, the better their opportunities will be. That is pretty much a given anywhere in the world. It is like comparing Harvard to the University of Texas at El Paso. A graduate from Harvard will have a lot more opportunities than a comparable student from UTEP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RangerUp

Is UP associated with any high-schools?

maximian
2 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Is UP associated with any high-schools?

Yes, my kids went to UP rural high school in Bay, Laguna. They then went on to study at UP Diliman and UP Los Banos. 

maximian
2 hours ago, Bama said:

If a persons graduates from this university---I know that there are a lot of factors involved--do they have a reasonable chance of having a successful career? 

If they are UP graduates the chances are they will have a very successful career.  If they plan to further their studies abroad their UP degree is recognized by most Universities. My youngest graduated in June and will do a Masters in Australia in February. 

Edited by maximian
  • Like 1

rfm010

Answers to the op's questions in reverse order.  

There are no better options but a talented motivated person can of course do well after attending certain alternative schools (up isnt easy to get into, plan on an alternative).  And of course, must be said, there will always be exceptions to the rule.

financial success is of course harder to achieve in-country but all else equal up will be the degree that best opens the doors.   Overseas, i know quite a few up grads --bachelors, masters, phds --who have done quite well.  Also a up degree, with appropriate performance, will get a person into good overseas graduate schools.  The thing about up is the overseas admissions offices will know of the requirements to get into and through up, and that serves as a strong signal regarding the student's abilities.

Is up all that good?  Depends on the program.  Generally it is as good as you will get here but if you have the money and the chance you would be better off sending a kid  to any decent state university in the u.s. .  except for alabama which doesnt have any good state universities.

the best bang for an educational buck is to get into up diliman's biology program ( very hard to do) , do good there and then go to up manila med school.  Tuition for the above is essentially free, a up med grad would easily get a us licence and then earn big bucks without having to pay back student loans.

entry to up is pretty much based on the upcat entrance exam.  If you are serious about getting a kid into up a good idea would be to buy the practice tests sold at national bookstore and put them to use.  And more use.  Starting a good year ahead of the upcat date.  Also, the various sat and act practice exam books that are sometimes found in used bookstores are quite useful, especially for the language and math sections.  My daughter also made use of more specific review/exam books for chemistry, biology, and physics.   There are also quite a few good sources for practice exams on the internet, often on the sites of textbook manufacturers.   The thing about the upcat science section is different years will emphasize different topics.  Helps to cover all bases.

• Thanks 1

colemanlee
11 hours ago, Bama said:

If a persons graduates from this university---I know that there are a lot of factors involved--do they have a reasonable chance of having a successful career

I personally know several businessmen here who will only hire UP grads.

• Thanks 1