Looking to secure a 13(a) Visa?

I have read this thread about the 13A visa...I just filed my 13A Visa papers today and was given an appt on Nov 18th to see a lawyer. Does anyone know what kind of questions he will ask and what documents should I bring? And the big questions what will he charge me????

November 18th? Holy crap! They're really getting slow. I think 2 weeks for mine.

He will try to get a tip. When asks for "filing or mail fees" tell him you already paid everything and show him your copy of the receipts. If he balks tell him you'll need an official BI receipt for these fees. That will probably fix him. Of course he might disapprove your app or sit on it a while but you'll still probably get it.

When you get the temp 13A you'll get a pack of papers, one of which is the official letter granting you the temp 13A which is almost identical to the giant stamp you'll get in your passport. Might as well get that copied right then cause next year when you go for your perm 13A you'll need that regardless of the fact that you have the same thing stamped in your passport. I imagine if you don't have it he'll want another tip.

Scouting Report: If your going to see Atty Abillon and your wife is from Dumaguete or at least Negros, you should tell her to mention it and things will go easier as he will treat her more like family. He is from Dumaguete and attended Siliman University. He is happy to mention that.

I should add one thing since you have an interview scheduled and it's so far out. I recommend you keep getting your visa extensions as needed up to the approval of your 13A. The Atty will notice you miss one and he will use this as a means of asking for more tips over the fees for your missed extension(s). I was told to call back on Monday to get my interview appointment and they said I didn't need one and to just wait for the approval from Manila. I skipped an extension and it wasn't caught. The Atty won't miss it.

Thanks for the info...I will be firm when and if he asks for money...I plan to leave the RP in early Nov for my 24hrs out of the country so I can start my visa over again it expries 23 Nov. and when I return my wife will ask for a BB stamp so that should take care or the visa extensions. The attoney I think is Abellon it hard to read Alice's hand writting, but I will have my wife mention about Negros anyway, she was born there..

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mason

• SkyMan

• Paul

• Marko7

cebubird

Dont know if this is revelant or not, but I am going to have agency right by Immigration do my 13a and they told me I would not have to leave as 13a had been applied for and being processed.

Matter of fact they told me to wait until about 3 months prior to expiration of my BB to apply for the 13a.

Bill

Dont know if this is revelant or not, but I am going to have agency right by Immigration do my 13a and they told me I would not have to leave as 13a had been applied for and being processed.

Matter of fact they told me to wait until about 3 months prior to expiration of my BB to apply for the 13a.

Bill

Yes I know of this agency, they wanted P25,000 to do my 13A. But after getting all the papers needed it was really easy to apply of it.

Headshot

Once you have your ACR card you do not need to go to BI before leaving. You can pay the exit clearance fee at the airport and do not need any of the evidence mentioned.

That's my understanding as well, but you will pay:

P2,880 re-entry fee

P1,620 travel tax (normally in your ticket price)

P750 terminal fee (P550 Cebu)

When I left suddenly (a few weeks ago) because of my mother being in the hospital, I wasn't able to go to the Bureau of Immigration. I got the news on my mother late Friday night and left from Cebu-Mactan on Saturday (the next day) just after noon. When I got to immigration at the airport, they asked for my clearance from BoI, and I explained that I wasn't able to go there because of the time involved (so I'm not sure the information on not having to go to BoI is correct). They just had me pay the fee right there (to the Immigration supervisor), but it wasn't as much as what you guys are quoting.

The Airport Fee (500 pesos as I remember)...everybody pays. You take care of that before you go into the Immigration area, so don't confuse that with immigration fees. That is for your use of the airport. You pay an airport fee even if you are flying to Manila (although it it reduced for domestic flights). Even Filipinos pay it. As for Immigration, they just charged me 2300 pesos and sent me on my way. If there was any travel tax in my ticket price, I don't know. I bought the ticket online from Cathay Pacific and printed out an e-ticket. The travel tax may have been there, but I didn't notice it.

Edited by Headshot

Once you have your ACR card you do not need to go to BI before leaving. You can pay the exit clearance fee at the airport and do not need any of the evidence mentioned.

That's my understanding as well, but you will pay:

P2,880 re-entry fee

P1,620 travel tax (normally in your ticket price)

P750 terminal fee (P550 Cebu)

When I left suddenly (a few weeks ago) because of my mother being in the hospital, I wasn't able to go to the Bureau of Immigration. I got the news on my mother late Friday night and left from Cebu-Mactan on Saturday (the next day) just after noon. When I got to immigration at the airport, they asked for my clearance from BoI, and I explained that I wasn't able to go there because of the time involved (so I'm not sure the information on not having to go to BoI is correct). They just had me pay the fee right there (to the Immigration supervisor), but it wasn't as much as what you guys are quoting.

The Airport Fee (500 pesos as I remember)...everybody pays. You take care of that before you go into the Immigration area, so don't confuse that with immigration fees. That is for your use of the airport. You pay an airport fee even if you are flying to Manila (although it it reduced for domestic flights). Even Filipinos pay it. As for Immigration, they just charged me 2300 pesos and sent me on my way. If there was any travel tax in my ticket price, I don't know. I bought the ticket online from Cathay Pacific and printed out an e-ticket. The travel tax may have been there, but I didn't notice it.

As for the prices quotes above, I did pay the p750 for my wife and I each. I also paid the p2880 for me which I don't think was reentry fee but exit fee and I'm told that only needs to be paid once a year. I also paid the travel fee about p1600 for my wife not me. Going out of Cebu is always nicer and sounds like it's cheaper too. I'm going to avoid going out of Manila in the future if possible.

Edited by SkyMan

Just back from the BI today to pick up my permanent, permanent residency (13A part 2). I expected the p2200 for the card but not the p2700 for the passport stamp. Additional costs were about p35 copies and 2 envelopes as well as p100 for them to mail the card app to Manila. They also tried to soak me for a bit more as the ACR-I system didn't show I'd paid my annual fee in January which I know I did. I reasoned that I'd left thcountry in May so I had to have paid it by then or they'd have nailed me on exit or reentrance but she didn't buy it. She wanted me to pay again or go get my receipt. The p300 didn't bother me a lot but I knew there'd be late charges I didn't want to pay. I decided to go home and look for the receipt but stopped at the cashier and asked if they could look up where I'd paid and surprisingly they were able to give me a receipt good enough for the ACR-I people. So I just go back to pick it up in a couple months. All I have is annual report fees for the next 5 years now. Woohoo!

So I just go back to pick it up in a couple months. All I have is annual report fees for the next 5 years now. Woohoo!

Congrats Skyman. Getting the 13(a) certainly is a liberating experience. I was glad when I could stop hassling with the extensions every 2 months. They charge 13(a) holders more to leave the country, but its still a money saver unless you travel frequently.

• 1 month later...

I went to the BOI in Cebu today to get my ECC (Emigration Clearance Certificate) I thought it was called Exit Certificate, but whatever.... I decided to wait and see the attorney and talk to him about my 13A Visa interview. I was told to call him last month when I left BOI in Cebu to check on my apt. The papers I got from BOI in Cebu had an apt set for 18 Nov but was told that was not a correct apt and to call the attorney to get the correct date. So I called him in Sept and we had a very bad connection and he told me to text him, which I did. He did not text back, so a few days ago I texted him again, no answer again. So today I waited for him. He was suppose to come in at 9:30AM but came in at 10AM. There were two other couples waiting to see him for their 13A interviews and they both had apts at 8:30. I got to the door first and all I wanted to do was ask a simple question ...when was my 13A apt. To make a long story short, he started my 13A interview right there, he called my wife in and in about 20 minutes or so we were done. He then asked for P3,000 for handling and mailing my forms up to Manila, well I was OK with that. My apt was for 18 Nov up in Manila and he did it without an apt,. today, was happy to give him the 3K. But I must say the other two couples that waited for over 2 hrs to see him were not at all happy with me, I think one was German and the other British. I told the German that I was sorry. This attorney is not very organized and to have apts set for 8:30 and he does not show up till 10am...what BS.

But I'm done with the 13A interview....

He then asked for P3,000 for handling and mailing my forms up to Manila, well I was OK with that. My apt was for 18 Nov up in Manila and he did it without an apt,. today, was happy to give him the 3K.

LOL Sucker!

Grats on completing it though.

Edited by Mailman
  • 4 weeks later...
http://gahig-ulo.com...13A%20Visa.html

That site belongs to a friend of mine, Gordy.

Thanks!

Is this external link now non applicable or am I messing up somewhere?

Due to repeated malicious cyber attacks from you know who in France :thumbs_up: Gordy has removed his site.

• 1 month later...

I have read this thread about the 13A visa...I just filed my 13A Visa papers today and was given an appt on Nov 18th to see a lawyer. Does anyone know what kind of questions he will ask and what documents should I bring? And the big questions what will he charge me????

I applied for my 13(a) from the Philippines so I had to go through the process twice, once for probationary status and then again 1 year later to convert from probationary to permanent status.

When I went for my interview for probationary status, they did not ask me a thing. All questions were directed to my wife and were in Tagalog. They asked her if we were married, if I was a good person (does he drink, gamble, or beat you?), and did I support her properly. For the documents, we took all the documents included in the application packet we submitted, as well as our passports.

When I went for my interview to convert from probationary to permanent, we tookcopies of the application package we submitted. Proof of financial support would have been helpful, but was not required. This time the questions were directed to me and were centered around how I would support my family and if we had a legitimate marriage or not.

As for fees, I forget exactly what they were. I've posted them previously though, so if you search the forum you should find them.

When getting my probationary 13(a), the lawyer added an extra 1000 peso "filing fee" that did not have an official receipt. When converting to permanent status, I got an official receipt for all fees paid.

Keeping receipts for ANYTHING is important when living in the Phil...even for Filipinos.

• 5 months later...
mattwilkie

Just back from the BI today to pick up my permanent, permanent residency (13A part 2). I expected the p2200 for the card but not the p2700 for the passport stamp. Additional costs were about p35 copies and 2 envelopes as well as p100 for them to mail the card app to Manila. They also tried to soak me for a bit more as the ACR-I system didn't show I'd paid my annual fee in January which I know I did. I reasoned that I'd left thcountry in May so I had to have paid it by then or they'd have nailed me on exit or reentrance but she didn't buy it. She wanted me to pay again or go get my receipt. The p300 didn't bother me a lot but I knew there'd be late charges I didn't want to pay. I decided to go home and look for the receipt but stopped at the cashier and asked if they could look up where I'd paid and surprisingly they were able to give me a receipt good enough for the ACR-I people. So I just go back to pick it up in a couple months. All I have is annual report fees for the next 5 years now. Woohoo!

Just an update on Skymans costs of the P2,200 and P2,700 total = P4,900 I completed my permanent paperwork this week as it was already complete I hadn't bothered to collect it (been sat there for months only need the ACR really when I leave the country or annual report). Anyway the fees cost me P5,700 with receipts. Just so people know to take a few more pesos with them.. but then again its immigration its very rare do I find it cheaper than I expect!

• 6 months later...

I found a form online for you to fill out and submit for the 13(a) Visa.

Hi,

I want to warn you before you go and fill online forms, I would suggest that you go into the BI office personally, ask to see Alice.

She will give you the appropriate forms and explain all that you will need to do, make lots of xerox's of all your documents.

Your 13a (probationary) is valid for 12 months, after wich you can apply for 13 a (permanent). the prob takes about 3 months to process.

The permanant takes about 1-2 months and is a lot less hassle.

Your wife will have to be present with you, and ofcourse you will have to have a letter of petition from your wife, the cost is approx P8k plus expenses,

and be prepared for "extra expenses"

If you had noticed, my original post that you quoted, was made on May 05, 2009. Anyone reading this information should know that it could very well be dated at this point.