Looking to secure a 13(a) Visa?

For those of you who have obtained a 13a visa while in The Philippines. How long did the process take?

When you renew after the one year, does your wife have to attend with you in order to get the permanent 13a?

Thanks,

Daddy Daz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mason

• SkyMan

• Paul

• Marko7

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about to apply for this visa, but not really sure how to do the police clearance when I am here.. Any suggestions????

I'm from Virginia in the states.

You don't need a police clearance for the 13(a). You need a BI (Bureau of Immigration) clearance but you can get that at BI when you submit your application.

You need NBI clearance, as well as BI clearance, they are different.

For those of you who have obtained a 13a visa while in The Philippines. How long did the process take?

When you renew after the one year, does your wife have to attend with you in order to get the permanent 13a?

Thanks,

Daddy Daz

It took about 15 months total, this includes the one year probation period.

Yes, you need the wife with you all the way...

Once you have your ACR card you do not need to go to BI before leaving. You can pay the exit clearance fee at the airport and do not need any of the evidence mentioned.

That's my understanding as well, but you will pay:

P2,880 re-entry fee

P1,620 travel tax (normally in your ticket price)

P750 terminal fee (P550 Cebu)

wow thats expensive. I think I'll stay on the visa extension ! Also whats this about a 5 day wait for an exit clearance? How does that work? Every time one wants to travel abroad, you have to go to BoI ..then wait???? Is that really the way it works? Any of you all who have done this, please share what the process is like.

Edited by samatm
SkyMan

Thanks,

Daddy Daz

It took about 2 months for me to get the stamp in my passport and then another month to get the ACR card. In a few months I'll have to start that process again to get the permanent 13A. Your wife is actually the one applying and she has to sign the request letter. My wife was with me when I went to apply but they never asked to see her or her ID. I don't think they ever knew she was there. There used to be an interview but we had none.

I filed for a 13a visa & was told to call back in 1 week, when I did they asked me if the lawyer had called me? NO. Then they said to call back next week if he did not call. Why does a lawyer need to call me?

The Mason

I am about to apply for this visa, but not really sure how to do the police clearance when I am here.. Any suggestions????

I'm from Virginia in the states.

You don't need a police clearance for the 13(a). You need a BI (Bureau of Immigration) clearance but you can get that at BI when you submit your application.

You need NBI clearance, as well as BI clearance, they are different.

I wasn't required to have an NBI clearance when I got my probationary or permanent 13(a). I went to the main office in Intramuros, Manila for both stages. Maybe the NBI clearance is something extra they require in your area, but according to the BI website and my personal experience, an NBI clearance is not needed.

If you apply from within the Philippines you need:

1. Duly notarized letter of application by petitioning Filipino spouse;

2. General Application Form duly accomplished by the foreign spouse and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01);

3. NSO authenticated copy of birth certificate of Filipino spouse;

4. NSO authenticated copy of the Marriage Contract of the alien and Filipino spouse, or if solemnized abroad, Marriage Contract authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate in or nearest the place where marriage was solemnized, with English translation if written in other foreign language;

5. Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate; and

6. Plain photocopy of passport/s of alien spouse and/or children showing dates of arrival and authorized stay.

When you convert from probationary to permanent you need:

1. Letter request from the petitioner - (Filipino spouse)

2. General application form (BI Form No. RBR 98-01) duly accomplished, signed by both petitioner and applicant and notarized.

3. 2 x 2 picture to be attached to the General Application Form

4. Photocopies of the following:

a. Passport with stamped of the visa

b. Alien certificate of Registration (ACR)

c. Immigrant Certificate of Registration (ICR)

5. Joint affidavit of the petitioner and the applicant stating that;

a. they are husband and wife and are living together

b. they are financially capable of supporting each other.

Important: Supporting documents to prove financial capacity such as:

Proofs of joint bank deposits or bank certification, Income Tax Return,

Land titles, contract of employment, pensions, etc. must be submitted.

6.Barangay certificate that petitioner and applicant are resident of the barangay and that they continue to live together as husband and wife.

7.Birth certificates of children born subsequent to the approval of the Probationary one (1) year period.

8.Marriage Contract

When I applied for conversion to permanent, they did not ask for all the items listed here. I did not submit any financial information, barangay certificate, or joint affadavit (Items 5 and 6). We just filled out the application and included the request letter from my wife and the other items listed.

The Mason

I filed for a 13a visa & was told to call back in 1 week, when I did they asked me if the lawyer had called me? NO. Then they said to call back next week if he did not call. Why does a lawyer need to call me?

The lawyer is the one who will interview you to verify you meet the requirements.

When I went to my scheduled interview, the lawyer that was supposed to interview me didn't show up for work that day. We waited around for 2-3 hours before they told us he wasn't there. Then some other guy asked us 2-3 questions, called me a liar, sneered when I told him I met my wife online, and then approved our application.

Mason;

I commend you. Really. If it had been me I hope I would stay calm but I'm guessing that at a minimum I would have given that guy a few words for calling me a liar. I mean that.

The lawyer is the one who will interview you to verify you meet the requirements.

When I went to my scheduled interview, the lawyer that was supposed to interview me didn't show up for work that day. We waited around for 2-3 hours before they told us he wasn't there. Then some other guy asked us 2-3 questions, called me a liar, sneered when I told him I met my wife online, and then approved our application.

The Mason

Mason;

I commend you. Really. If it had been me I hope I would stay calm but I'm guessing that at a minimum I would have given that guy a few words for calling me a liar. I mean that.

The whole process of converting from probationary to permanent was a painful joke. The interview went horribly wrong with the interviewer calling me a liar and implying my wife is pokpok. I'm only 42 year old with no pension, job, or savings as far as BI knows. I didn't submit any financial evidence to show I had any income. (they never asked and I never volunteered the info) After the interview I was sure I'd have to go back on a tourist visa or travel somewhere to get a BB stamp.

When we went to BI 3 weeks later to check the status of my visa, I damn near fell over when they said it was approved. My wife just said, 'you know how it is here...white skin equals green money. They weren't going to deny you.'

I think you'd have to show up drunk, ask how much to barfine the receptionist, or slap your wife during the interview to get denied for a 13(a). And even then, I'm not sure you'd be denied as long as your wife still says she wants you to get the visa.

Edited by The Mason

Mason: Thank you for the info I wanted!

lazydays

Mason;

The whole process of converting from probationary to permanent was a painful joke. The interview went horribly wrong with the interviewer calling me a liar and implying my wife is pokpok. I'm only 42 year old with no pension, job, or savings as far as BI knows. I didn't submit any financial evidence to show I had any income. (they never asked and I never volunteered the info) After the interview I was sure I'd have to go back on a tourist visa or travel somewhere to get a BB stamp.

When we went to BI 3 weeks later to check the status of my visa, I damn near fell over when they said it was approved. ,

I think you'd have to show up drunk, ask how much to barfine the receptionist, or slap your wife during the interview to get denied for a 13(a). And even then, I'm not sure you'd be denied as long as your wife still says she wants you to get the visa.

'you know how it is here...white skin equals green money. They weren't going to deny you.

Ha Ha,just about sums it up.biggrin_01.gif

• 6 months later...

I have read this thread about the 13A visa...I just filed my 13A Visa papers today and was given an appt on Nov 18th to see a lawyer. Does anyone know what kind of questions he will ask and what documents should I bring? And the big questions what will he charge me????

I have read this thread about the 13A visa...I just filed my 13A Visa papers today and was given an appt on Nov 18th to see a lawyer. Does anyone know what kind of questions he will ask and what documents should I bring? And the big questions what will he charge me????

I applied for my 13(a) from the Philippines so I had to go through the process twice, once for probationary status and then again 1 year later to convert from probationary to permanent status.

When I went for my interview for probationary status, they did not ask me a thing. All questions were directed to my wife and were in Tagalog. They asked her if we were married, if I was a good person (does he drink, gamble, or beat you?), and did I support her properly. For the documents, we took all the documents included in the application packet we submitted, as well as our passports.

When I went for my interview to convert from probationary to permanent, we tookcopies of the application package we submitted. Proof of financial support would have been helpful, but was not required. This time the questions were directed to me and were centered around how I would support my family and if we had a legitimate marriage or not.

As for fees, I forget exactly what they were. I've posted them previously though, so if you search the forum you should find them.

When getting my probationary 13(a), the lawyer added an extra 1000 peso "filing fee" that did not have an official receipt. When converting to permanent status, I got an official receipt for all fees paid.

November 18th? Holy crap! They're really getting slow. I think 2 weeks for mine.

He will try to get a tip. When asks for "filing or mail fees" tell him you already paid everything and show him your copy of the receipts. If he balks tell him you'll need an official BI receipt for these fees. That will probably fix him. Of course he might disapprove your app or sit on it a while but you'll still probably get it.

When you get the temp 13A you'll get a pack of papers, one of which is the official letter granting you the temp 13A which is almost identical to the giant stamp you'll get in your passport. Might as well get that copied right then cause next year when you go for your perm 13A you'll need that regardless of the fact that you have the same thing stamped in your passport. I imagine if you don't have it he'll want another tip.

Scouting Report: If your going to see Atty Abillon and your wife is from Dumaguete or at least Negros, you should tell her to mention it and things will go easier as he will treat her more like family. He is from Dumaguete and attended Siliman University. He is happy to mention that.

I should add one thing since you have an interview scheduled and it's so far out. I recommend you keep getting your visa extensions as needed up to the approval of your 13A. The Atty will notice you miss one and he will use this as a means of asking for more tips over the fees for your missed extension(s). I was told to call back on Monday to get my interview appointment and they said I didn't need one and to just wait for the approval from Manila. I skipped an extension and it wasn't caught. The Atty won't miss it.

Edited by SkyMan