LTO: Mandatory Motorcycle Rider Training Will Proceed

Copy / Paste of the text,

Stricter screening process for all license holders

Last April, during the 24th National Federation of Motorcycle Clubs of the Philippines (NFMCP) Convention in Legaspi City Albay, President Rodrigo Duterte said that he was not happy with the proliferation of motorcycles. He noted how a lot of riders don't possess the skills to properly and safely ride their bikes. The President even remarked, “there is really anarchy in the streets.” He then called for a Mandatory Motorcycle Rider Training, which the President, with more than 40 years of motorcycle riding experience, believes may realistically lessen motorcycle related accidents due to rider error.

When asked if the LTO would push for that directive from the President, Executive Director Atty. Romeo Vera Cruz confirmed this. During the Motorcycle Dealers Association of the Philippines (MDAP) induction of officers ceremony last Oct. 16, the executive director confirmed that the agency is in fact in the process of accrediting riding and driving schools for classroom and practical examinations. This includes training of license holders across the board.

“Yung mga driving schools, hindi lang ganun ang driving school (Our current driving schools, it will be different this time)”. “We will be coming up with an accreditation. If they (riding/ driving school) complied with the [strict] requirements, they will be authorized to conduct the examination and also to operate a test track.” The LTO ED added.

Last May, just a month after the President called for a mandatory motorcycle rider training, Senator JV Ejercito filed Senate Bill 1822 or the Motorcycle Safety Training Act of 2018 that requires an individual to complete a motorcycle safety training course prior to the registration of their motorcycle. Under the bill, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) is mandated to conduct a motorcycle safety training program for motorcycle owners. The Department of Transportation (DOTr) and LTO will also be tasked to establish a Comprehensive Motorcycle Safety Training Program and Manual (handbook) which will be used for the course. The bill also prescribes a penalty of P50,000 pesos for any individual who falsifies a certification of training and said certificate shall be revoked.

“They (riding school) will also be authorized to operate a test track [for training],” added Atty. Vera Cruz. He conceded that the lack of government funding and facilities only allowed the agency to do so much with regards to driver and motorcycle rider screening. Further, the ED also said that the deputized driving/ riding schools will be key players in the success of the President’s rider training advocacy.

"They will be conducting the examination: theoretical and practical,” he said. Outsourcing this will eliminate under the table transactions within the LTO.

When asked how many are they planning to deputize and which individuals or companies will conduct the training, the LTO ED said it “should be limited lang” to keep the quality in place, citing the LTO’s deputizing a lot of PETCs (Private Emission Testing Centers) in the past as an example of doing more harm than good due to business competition

• Like 2
SkyMan

Probably a good idea but then what about cars, trucks, buses....

• Like 2
Semper paratus
23 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Probably a good idea but then what about cars, trucks, buses....

You have to start somewhere.

• Like 1
SkyMan
2 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

You have to start somewhere.

I would start with those responsible for public transportation.

• Like 2

The two collisions (not accidents - poor drivers) I've witnessed were at Osmena Extension and Escario - both involved the motor blowing a red light.

1. On curb side of huge SUV -  another car making left hand turn on red.

2. Left side of jeepny - lead car on right moving as soon as light turned green  (which I used to do - for about 2 days :shocked: - also stay back maybe 3 M for big trucks / wide turning cars / to allow motors to get ahead of me and turn first)

Have come very close at same intersection due to motors coming up when making a right turn onto Osmena Extension, beside me on right side - on  left for left  onto Escario

They are not accustomed to Western style of turning - as sharp as possible -  not taking 1 1/2 to 2 lanes at 5 Km / hr

The motor riders here are very fortunate the speeds are as slow as they are.

It allows for greater reaction time.

http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/reactiontime.html

Article seems to imply 1.5 sec can be used as standard - perception / reaction - however given the driving attitudes and age here I believe it is less.

20 Km / 3,600 x 1.5 = 8.33 M, x 1 = 5.53 M

10 Km    4.16 M   2.75 M

This even before cycle starts to slow down.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
SkyMan
4 hours ago, lamoe said:

They are not accustomed to Western style of turning - as sharp as possible -  not taking 1 1/2 to 2 lanes at 5 Km / hr

Leading turns is a very bad practice unless you're driving a very large vehicle.  I've seen some of those tiny cars (like those little picante sauce cars) do it.  Some of the corners here have to be taken wide though because the don't allow for a proper turn.

30 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Leading turns is a very bad practice unless you're driving a very large vehicle.  I've seen some of those tiny cars (like those little picante sauce cars) do it.  Some of the corners here have to be taken wide though because the don't allow for a proper turn.

What is a "leading turn"

True  - some of the streets are very narrow  - Osmena Extension is one  - 2 1/2 cars wide - very glad I have power steering

Edited by lamoe
SkyMan
4 minutes ago, lamoe said:

What is a "leading turn"

Swerving left before making a right turn or vv.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Swerving left before making a right turn or vv.

Watched a vid just now where instructor said 3/4 wheel turn was typ movement needed  - not here :tongue_01:

Realized I do about 1 full turn and short throw of front end helps a lot

Took a few rear wheel curb rides to adjust for the short radius of some side street turns

When I was in the good old Navy they required us to take a safety course before we could drive our motorcycles on the base. My teacher was a retired CHP motorcycle officer who was great. He even showed us a cheap way to get rid of rusty parts an our bikes. 

Edited by yingy52

Count how many rules this Vloger breaks

As Skyman said  cars, buses and jeepny's also

Road rage

Edited by lamoe

The top video in the group of 3,  @ 3:34 & 5:04,  seems it's Ok for him the break the rules,  but no one else is allowed to ( counter flowing )

5:59,  if he was not on the wrong side of the road,  and if he was behind the vehicle in front of him, instead off, to the left,  he would have seen the vehicle about to pull out in front of him,

I Don't see why he should bitch about other riders, drivers,  since he is no better,

I didn't bother to watch the other 2 videos,  since I assume he rides the same way...

39 minutes ago, noddle said:

The top video in the group of 3,  @ 3:34 & 5:04,  seems it's Ok for him the break the rules,  but no one else is allowed to ( counter flowing )

5:59,  if he was not on the wrong side of the road,  and if he was behind the vehicle in front of him, instead off, to the left,  he would have seen the vehicle about to pull out in front of him,

I Don't see why he should bitch about other riders, drivers,  since he is no better,

I didn't bother to watch the other 2 videos,  since I assume he rides the same way...

Only the first one is of him

The 2nd is a copulation of the drivers here