Happy Thanksgiving!

Kreole

Hey, BossHog, I really enjoy your enthusiasm.  It brings a whole different tone to some of the more serious issues we face here.  Glad to see the progress at your place.  May you never lose the wonder of a child.  By the way, thanksgiving isn't until the last Thursday of the month, but it looks like you are getting an early start.

Edited by Kreole
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BossHog

• Salty Dog

• Dafey

• cvgtpc1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't gonna butcher this tom until next Thursday morning but plans changed. Tried to separate him from the flock and force-feed corn for ten days but he acted all crazy like so he got a pre-mature he

Here are some of my pics of a migratory Chinese Goshawk... A resident Philippine Serpent Eagle... And the Brahminy Kite. Many people mistakenly call this the Philippine Eagle but

Posted Images

BossHog

Well, if they can start with in-store Christmas carols.on September 1st then August is about the right time to get into the Thanksgiving spirit I reckon.

Takes about 4-5 months to get a poult table-ready so these newly hatched birds will see 2021. Btw, when can we start celebrating New Year's? 2020 has.already worn out it's welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
rfm010
16 hours ago, BossHog said:

Well, if they can start with in-store Christmas carols.on September 1st ...

Oh god no thats 40 minutes from now.   

• Haha 2
Headshot
10 hours ago, rfm010 said:

Oh god no thats 40 minutes from now.   

It's OK. They won't let me into the malls anyway since I'm a senior.

• Haha 1
KID
On 8/30/2020 at 6:03 PM, BossHog said:

Eight more poults early this morning. A few more eggs still to hatch. Very cool to watch them emerge.

Happily we just finished building a second double-decker turkey pen just a few days ago.
6fbe05d1f6428dd60a5dc747f0cd63da.jpg50a578c5f5385a230ad9a403ebc6b1de.jpg

looking good but would look better on my smoker. the last couple holidays I have been injecting my birds with apple cider and using apple wood for the smoke, It dont get much better eatin than that !!!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
BossHog

Our rafter of turkeys continues to thrive. One hen is missing from the pic as she's sitting on a dozen more eggs.

turkey.thumb.jpg.dbb45e14066a3d9016b21c15cc223fd7.jpg

• Like 7
cvgtpc1
17 hours ago, BossHog said:

Our rafter of turkeys continues to thrive. One hen is missing from the pic as she's sitting on a dozen more eggs.

turkey.thumb.jpg.dbb45e14066a3d9016b21c15cc223fd7.jpg

Pretty cool!  Are there ever any Philippine Eagles lurking around?

• Like 1
BossHog
4 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

Pretty cool!  Are there ever any Philippine Eagles lurking around?

Well, as to resident raptors on Siargao...there are the ubquitous Brahminy Kites, a limited number of White-bellied Sea Eagles just offshore, the Philippine Serpent Eagle is often seen along wooded trails, and Honey Buzzards over the hills.

It's migratory season now so we see raptors like the Chinese Goshawk, Grey-faced Buzzard, and Peregrine Falcon. They come from northeast Asia to winter either in Philippines or pass through on their way to Indonesia.

The closest places to us to see the actual Philippine Eagle (Pithecophaga jefferyi) in the wild would be the provinces of Davao and Bukidnon on mainland Mindanao. There are only about 400 breeding pairs left so they're a challenge to find.

If you're thinking about raptors feeding on our poults, jennys, and jakes (young turkeys) then it's a potential issue. Yesterday was the first time we let the six-week old birds out of their pen and hopefully they can free-range now without avian predation. Time will tell. I have seen the Kites swoop down and seize our young ducklings straight from the yard so it can be a problem.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
BossHog

Here are some of my pics of a migratory Chinese Goshawk...

sh.thumb.jpg.c07073e69263481cb850d9cdf75c4816.jpg

A resident Philippine Serpent Eagle...

se.thumb.jpg.a96c0b13244b35df6f322698bf5c99c9.jpg

And the Brahminy Kite. Many people mistakenly call this the Philippine Eagle but it's a lot smaller and more common than the national bird...

bk.thumb.jpg.93485c3f9706b076b4ab0c0c53ab619f.jpg

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Kreole

Hi Boss, I am still waiting to see the photos of the other birds you mentioned in your intro.  I am glad to see you preserved your turkeys and now they are multiplying.  I hope you build a strong enough enclosure with tiny mesh to keep out the snakes.  I would hate to see you have to eat a python filled with turkeys for Thanksgiving.

cvgtpc1
7 hours ago, Kreole said:

Hi Boss, I am still waiting to see the photos of the other birds you mentioned in your intro.  I am glad to see you preserved your turkeys and now they are multiplying.  I hope you build a strong enough enclosure with tiny mesh to keep out the snakes.  I would hate to see you have to eat a python filled with turkeys for Thanksgiving.

Just another version of turducken LOL

• Haha 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

34974.jpg

• Haha 5
  • 1 month later...
BossHog

Wasn't gonna butcher this tom until next Thursday morning but plans changed. Tried to separate him from the flock and force-feed corn for ten days but he acted all crazy like so he got a pre-mature headcut with a machete.

Guest list down to an even dozen from forty-plus last year (because Covid!). A few of 'em are vegans and will have to fill up on candied yams and green bean casserole and stuff(ing) and pie. Hopefully a six-kilo bird will be big enough for everyone else; currently it's filling up the chest-freezer. Six kilos is just over thirteen pounds and they say an average American bird is fifteen, so close enough!

turkey.thumb.jpg.10fb25ed4af8a25072904e246c24cddb.jpg

• Like 8
cvgtpc1
18 hours ago, BossHog said:

Wasn't gonna butcher this tom until next Thursday morning but plans changed. Tried to separate him from the flock and force-feed corn for ten days but he acted all crazy like so he got a pre-mature headcut with a machete.

Guest list down to an even dozen from forty-plus last year (because Covid!). A few of 'em are vegans and will have to fill up on candied yams and green bean casserole and stuff(ing) and pie. Hopefully a six-kilo bird will be big enough for everyone else; currently it's filling up the chest-freezer. Six kilos is just over thirteen pounds and they say an average American bird is fifteen, so close enough!

turkey.thumb.jpg.10fb25ed4af8a25072904e246c24cddb.jpg

But you know PI-style is to have 3 times the food you need so everyone can take some home....

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I cooked a 10 pound turkey yesterday. More than enough for just the two of us. It was supposed to cook for about 3 hours, but was done in less than 2 hours in the convection oven…