Sign in to follow this  
yingy52

Unnecessary Hospitalization.

Jack Rat
9 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Actually, like many other Philippine hospitals, they charge a REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT on TV remotes.

That ensures the remote doesn't get stolen by departing patients. If the hospital gets the remote back, you get your deposit back.

I guess the charge for the remote was inclusive of the 15000p deposit paid on admission. 

Jawny
40 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

I guess the charge for the remote was inclusive of the 15000p deposit paid on admission. 

The common practice here is to make a deposit when being admitted.  The staff will base the deposit upon standard charges to be expected for the treatment to be received.  

As the patient begins to accumulate costs, the deposit is used as needed.  At least that’s what I recall.  If the charges approach the deposit amount, or even exceed it, the patient will be asked to plus up the deposit, in effect, make a payment.  

Some things the patient is expected to buy for themselves.  For example, a patient thermometer.  If they didn’t bring one, a new one is purchased from the pharmacy and billed. Even drinking water is not provided, in my experience. 

If the patient has insurance that is used by the hospital, the deposit may not be required unless there is some sort of copay.  I don’t have a Philippine insurance, so I pay cash.  Some in my family use Philhealth, and there is no deposit. The bill is settled at time of discharge.

Jack Rat
57 minutes ago, Jawny said:

The common practice here is to make a deposit when being admitted.  The staff will base the deposit upon standard charges to be expected for the treatment to be received.  

As the patient begins to accumulate costs, the deposit is used as needed.  At least that’s what I recall.  If the charges approach the deposit amount, or even exceed it, the patient will be asked to plus up the deposit, in effect, make a payment.  

Some things the patient is expected to buy for themselves.  For example, a patient thermometer.  If they didn’t bring one, a new one is purchased from the pharmacy and billed. Even drinking water is not provided, in my experience. 

If the patient has insurance that is used by the hospital, the deposit may not be required unless there is some sort of copay.  I don’t have a Philippine insurance, so I pay cash.  Some in my family use Philhealth, and there is no deposit. The bill is settled at time of discharge.

I have Phil health but a deposit was still required. Some still leave without paying the bill. I actually saw an elderly foreigner trying to get into a taxi vigorously  waving his arms and shouting, still with his hospital gown on and intravenous bottle,  tubes etc intact. The guards quickly ushered him back into the hospital, maybe a disagreement over the bill..:oldtimer:

yingy52
15 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Actually, like many other Philippine hospitals, they charge a REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT on TV remotes.

That ensures the remote doesn't get stolen by departing patients. If the hospital gets the remote back, you get your deposit back.

Kinda like what hotels do when you check out. Years back me and my gf checked out of a hotel in Angeles. They were going to charge us P300 for a missing sweat rag size towel. Miraculously my gf found it in our luggage. 

Kabisay-an gid
1 minute ago, yingy52 said:

Miraculously my gf found it in our luggage. 

Whoa! Gee, I wonder how it got there! A poltergeist, perhaps?!

:ROFLMAO:

yingy52
32 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Whoa! Gee, I wonder how it got there! A poltergeist, perhaps?!

:ROFLMAO:

Ya..It was crazy. We couldn't figure it out.:wink: