Sign in to follow this  
yingy52

Unnecessary Hospitalization.

yingy52
16 hours ago, Sven said:

Was it the same brand of medicine, though?

Two different names for the same medicine can easily differ by a factor of 5 or so. Doctors will happily prescribe the expensive "original" ... and I suppose hospital pharmacies are likely to stock nothing else.

That's all over the world... not really specifically about the Philippines.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

The brand of the medicine has no consequence. We got the girl the medication elsewhere and she was fine. UTI is a common occurrence that in most cases the person can be treated at a clinic as an outpatient. 

This hospital took advantage of a mother that is from a poor province who believed everything they said. She doesn't even know how to read and write. She signs her name to packages that I get delivered to the house and that's what she did when the hospital put the form in front of her because she was worried about her daughter.

All I can say is..beware.

Kreole
On 10/20/2018 at 5:51 PM, yingy52 said:

Our Savior Hospital. Rosario, Cavite. After my gf raised hell she told me that they had 4 patients there waiting for relatives to come up with the "ransom" money to get them out. This place needs to be shut down. But what can I do? Nothing.

This practice is supposed to be illegal and the hospital staff can not physically detain you or prevent you leaving.  If they try, just warn them they are in for serious resistance in addition to you taking the hospital to court.  I assume the staff would back down at that point or face criminal charges.  In addition, if you have a friend or relative present, call the police and tell them you are being illegally detained.  It would be very helpful if you or someone filmed the interaction, so as to not get into a dispute about what was said.

There is no way the hospital can defend itself in court for breaking the law.  Most Filipinos do not know their rights and rot in the hospital until their relatives come up with the ransom, often borrowing money at outrageous interest.   The hospitals get away with such egregious criminality because Filipinos do not stand up for their rights.  And some foreigners have been caught up in the scam as well.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sven
22 hours ago, yingy52 said:

The brand of the medicine has no consequence. We got the girl the medication elsewhere and she was fine. UTI is a common occurrence that in most cases the person can be treated at a clinic as an outpatient. 

Of course the brand of medicine is unimportant for the patient... It is just the same chemical under various names. However, the point was, different branding can perhaps explain the huge difference in price of medicine experienced in this instance. 

yingy52
1 hour ago, Sven said:

Of course the brand of medicine is unimportant for the patient... It is just the same chemical under various names. However, the point was, different branding can perhaps explain the huge difference in price of medicine experienced in this instance. 

Of course branding made a huge difference in the price. That's what branded companies do. They have the money to advertise and gift doctors with a golfing vacation and such to recommend their brand. 

The main subject of my original post was that the hospital charged way to much for their daily in-patient rates. Not the exorbit amount of money they charged for the medication.

Bama
On 10/20/2018 at 5:51 PM, yingy52 said:

After my gf raised hell she told me that they had 4 patients there waiting for relatives to come up with the "ransom" money to get them out.

https://www.rappler.com/move-ph/116290-family-denied-death-certificate-hospital

This ransom situation happens fairly often if a family member dies in the hospital. The hospital simply refuses to issue an death certificate thus stopping the burial process and/or claim benefits that might help pay the deceased bills.

Republic Act 9439 prohibits the detention of patients with outstanding bills. However, in the case of the deceased, the law does not cover those in private rooms.You and I would probably want to be in a private room if we were that sick.

Joe Sixpack

C'mon guys, you know most filipinos take pride in getting over on others (especially foreigners), and its delusional to think doctors and hospitals are any different.

I've had to sign that release and walk out with every single hospital stay, including childbirth, as i refuse to let these bastards manipulate my family at a weak moment.  We've been diagnosed with maladies that were later proven not present and prescribed treatments for un-treatable illnesses. 

And of course, every illness requires a week stay in the hospital.  One only needs to look at all the unnecessary c-sections performed to understand how corrupt and heartless many filipino doctors really are.

IMO, you need to self-diagnose and use doctors for confirmation and treatment only.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bama
50 minutes ago, Joe Sixpack said:

IMO, you need to self-diagnose and use doctors for confirmation and treatment only.

IMO trying to self diagnose a medical issue can get you in big trouble health wise unless you happen to be a doctor. I'm not one. If you are being played to help enlarge the hospitals coffers then you might need to find some where else to go----perhaps in another country.

Joe Sixpack
8 minutes ago, Bama said:

IMO trying to self diagnose a medical issue can get you in big trouble health wise unless you happen to be a doctor. I'm not one. If you are being played to help enlarge the hospitals coffers then you might need to find some where else to go----perhaps in another country.

Anyone who has visited a hospital in the Philippines has been played, to some extent.  Should they all leave? 

At the very least, when visiting a doctor, you should have already done your homework and have a good idea of the diagnosis, potential treatments, and costs.  Otherwise, you're just gonna be a victim, in some manner.  

• Like 3

Bama
15 minutes ago, Joe Sixpack said:

Anyone who has visited a hospital in the Philippines has been played, to some extent.  Should they all leave? 

Suggesting that all that visit a Philippine hospital have been played to some extent IMO is not accurate.

The Dog re-posted a old thread recently where Philippine hospital care saved his life a few years back. Pretty sure that he doesn't feel like that he was played.Read for yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joe Sixpack
4 minutes ago, Bama said:

Suggesting that all that visit a Philippine hospital have been played to some extent IMO is not accurate.

The Dog re-posted a old thread recently where Philippine hospital care saved his life a few years back. Pretty sure that he doesn't feel like that he was played.Read for yourself.

Happy ending but poor analogy.   The reality of filipino hospitals is that they will stick it to you any chance they get.  Sure they provide treatments and often do a great job.  But you would be foolish to not double check your bill, question the doctors, and otherwise remain vigilant.  That's the whole point here.  

• Like 1

Jawny

"C'mon guys, you know most filipinos take pride in getting over on others (especially foreigners), and its delusional to think doctors and hospitals are any different."

I have to disagree with this sentiment.  

Some of my hospital experiences, either for myself or for others, has been unsatisfactory.  I’ve shared these experiences for LinC in the past.  

That said, I don’t attribute the poor service to some sort of cultural or social reason.  It never seems to me that the poor service is the result of some Filipino pride in screwing over people.

I agree that the patient and family needs to be vigilant in their oversight of the care they are receiving. Asking questions, checking billing statements, asserting rights when necessary are appropriate.  I do that when I get my computer repaired,  Same for a hospital.

I am friendly with a surgeon nearby who became the administrator of a new hospital when it first opened.  When I would chat with him about the extra burden of being a surgeon as well as administrator, it was clear he’d rather being in scrubs than a business suit. 

One of his main issues was funding and this made it vital for the administration to be strict about getting bills paid.  There was little opportunity for the hospital to accept the IOUs offered by the many patients who were ill prepared to pay their bills.

The use of terms like hostage and ransom are colorful, but not really reflective of what is at play.  

• Thanks 3

yingy52
9 hours ago, Jawny said:

"C'mon guys, you know most filipinos take pride in getting over on others (especially foreigners), and its delusional to think doctors and hospitals are any different."

I have to disagree with this sentiment.  

Some of my hospital experiences, either for myself or for others, has been unsatisfactory.  I’ve shared these experiences for LinC in the past.  

That said, I don’t attribute the poor service to some sort of cultural or social reason.  It never seems to me that the poor service is the result of some Filipino pride in screwing over people.

I agree that the patient and family needs to be vigilant in their oversight of the care they are receiving. Asking questions, checking billing statements, asserting rights when necessary are appropriate.  I do that when I get my computer repaired,  Same for a hospital.

I am friendly with a surgeon nearby who became the administrator of a new hospital when it first opened.  When I would chat with him about the extra burden of being a surgeon as well as administrator, it was clear he’d rather being in scrubs than a business suit. 

One of his main issues was funding and this made it vital for the administration to be strict about getting bills paid.  There was little opportunity for the hospital to accept the IOUs offered by the many patients who were ill prepared to pay their bills.

The use of terms like hostage and ransom are colorful, but not really reflective of what is at play.  

I got a vasectomy at St. Martin Hospital in Rosario, Cavite. 14 years ago. I chose the local anesthetic route instead of them putting me under. From what I understood later was that all you would need for that procedure would be a blood pressure check. They had me go through the whole procedure as if I was going to have an anesthesiologist. EKG..x-rays etc. And charged me for it.

Next day I got the local and the doctor went to work on me. The follow up medication cost more than the procedure itself. But I paid because the doctor knows best,right? 

2 months later my gf turns up pregnant! WTF? Went back to the doctor and he says get the sperm test. Wacked off into the bottle and guess what? I've still got strong swimmers.

My son is 13 now and he's a joy to be around. I'm very glad that the doctor was incompetent.

The hospital got their money and that's all they really care about.

streak03

There's absolutely no way in hell if I ever have a serious medical condition (that doesn't require immediate emergency care) would I ever get treated in a hospital in Philippines.  I would certainly go to Bangkok to Bumrungrad or one of the other hospitals there.

yingy52
2 minutes ago, streak03 said:

There's absolutely no way in hell if I ever have a serious medical condition (that doesn't require immediate emergency care) would I ever get treated in a hospital in Philippines.  I would certainly go to Bangkok to Bumrungrad or one of the other hospitals there.

I don't blame you. Better be cash rich if you have a medical problem here.

Jack Rat
3 hours ago, yingy52 said:

I don't blame you. Better be cash rich if you have a medical problem here.

If you are due for a major operation, check that they have an ample supply of your blood type.