Sign in to follow this  
yingy52

Unnecessary Hospitalization.

yingy52

My gf's sister was taken recently by her mother to a hospital for UTI. Urinary tract infection. The doctor on call put her on dextrose and said she had to stay there for 4 days for observation. P8,000 per day and not even a private room. When my gf found out about it she and I went there and she raised holy hell the same night. All hell broke loose with the doctors and nurses insisting that the sister had to stay but my gf stood her ground raising her voice higher than theirs. My gf won and after signing some release forms we got her sister out the next morning. I was proud of her.

Long story short the sisters' UTI is gone and we only got conned out of P8,000. I made the mother pay half to teach her the lesson that doctors and nurses aren't gods.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

M.C.A.

There are free clinics I'd find out where the location is and if you need medications they also write you a prescription free and some of the medications are also free for people that don't have jobs or don't make much money they always send you home with the dextrose but the dextrose isn't usually free, this happened to my grandson he also suffered from UTI and asthma the children's medications and vitamins are usually free.

• Like 1

to_dave007

I doubt that this was really a CON or SCAM.  More like laziness on the part of the doctor.  Once sister was diagnosed with UTI, most doctors and hospitals simply pull out the "standard UTI treatment plan" and then blindly do what the standard plan says.  I don't think they were trying to scam your sister.  I think the 4 days observation is simply "standard practice"..  not only at this hospital but others also.. even outside PI.    

HOWEVER..  what they SHOULD have done (and what mother should have asked about) is tell you what the total costs would be if you followed their "standard plan", and then tell you what alternative should be followed for the more budget conscious.  They didn't do that, and mother didn't ask.

Standard treatment for UTI includes an antibiotic.  Did the sister have oral or IV antibiotic?  Was it stopped when she left hospital?

I've had similar issues with getting OUT from the hospital once they have me IN.  The nurses simply WILL NOT go against the orders of the doctor no matter what happens, and the doctor can never be found, so if you want to get OUT..  and if you think you are ready to get OUT..  then how the hell do you do it?  Last time I was IN..  the ONLY way I could get OUT was to remove the IV myself..  and get dressed.. and stand at the desk with my bags in my hand asking how much do I owe..  and when they said we can't tell you..  I gave them my address and phone number and said please send the bill here..  Was simply AMAZING to see how fast they were able to get the bill together after that.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 6

yingy52
7 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I doubt that this was really a CON or SCAM.  More like laziness on the part of the doctor.  Once sister was diagnosed with UTI, most doctors and hospitals simply pull out the "standard UTI treatment plan" and then blindly do what the standard plan says.  I don't think they were trying to scam your sister.  I think the 4 days observation is simply "standard practice"..  not only at this hospital but others also.. even outside PI.    

HOWEVER..  what they SHOULD have done (and what mother should have asked about) is tell you what the total costs would be if you followed their "standard plan", and then tell you what alternative should be followed for the more budget conscious.  They didn't do that, and mother didn't ask.

Standard treatment for UTI includes an antibiotic.  Did the sister have oral or IV antibiotic?  Was it stopped when she left hospital?

I've had similar issues with getting OUT from the hospital once they have me IN.  The nurses simply WILL NOT go against the orders of the doctor no matter what happens, and the doctor can never be found, so if you want to get OUT..  and if you think you are ready to get OUT..  then how the hell do you do it?  Last time I was IN..  the ONLY way I could get OUT was to remove the IV myself..  and get dressed.. and stand at the desk with my bags in my hand asking how much do I owe..  and when they said we can't tell you..  I gave them my address and phone number and said please send the bill here..  Was simply AMAZING to see how fast they were able to get the bill together after that.

The reason I think it was a con is because we went to a regular clinic the same day we got her out. Got the medication for P250 while the hospital pharmacy wanted over P1,000 for the same. P8,000 is ridiculous for a non private room for UTI. 

• Like 1

to_dave007
17 minutes ago, yingy52 said:

The reason I think it was a con is because we went to a regular clinic the same day we got her out.

Got the medication for P250 while the hospital pharmacy wanted over P1,000 for the same. P8,000 is ridiculous for a non private room for UTI. 

If you look at the bill from the hospital..  did they really charge 8000 specifically for the ROOM.  Private room at Chong Hua is I think 2400..  so yes..  if 8000 was charged JUST !! for the non-private room I would agree with you.  However, I suspect the 8000 included doctors fees, blood tests, bit's and pieces they need for IV, the dextrose, and the antibiotics.

Can't speak to practices at the hospital your SIL was at..  but some hospitals give you the prescription and get YOU to go get it..  which means you can shop around if need be, choose a generic brand if need be, use discount cards, and in general get your best price.  At Chong Hua in Cebu they won't LET you use medications that you DON'T buy at the hospital pharmacy, and the medications we needed WERE a little more expensive at the hospital pharmacy that at Rose and Mercury, but that changed after the pharmacy applied the discount for paying cash.

For SURE the hospitals don't mind being expensive..  and for SURE you takes your chances if you rely on the cheap clinics..  depending what the medical issue is..  This is something we all have to face here.  In my case I treated first 2 cases of cellulitis at Chong Hua, and third  via small clinic..  Result was cure in all three cases.. in about same time, but 95% cost saving by avoiding Chong Hua for the third case.  And had some serious stomach issues from the oral antibiotic prescribed at the clinic that didn't happen when I had IV antibiotics at the hospital.  

BTW..  wife tells me I should wear socks..  no idea really how that's gonna help me avoid round 4.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

yingy52
7 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

If you look at the bill from the hospital..  did they really charge 8000 specifically for the ROOM.  Private room at Chong Hua is I think 2400..  so yes..  if 8000 was charged JUST !! for the non-private room I would agree with you.  However, I suspect the 8000 included doctors fees, blood tests, bit's and pieces they need for IV, the dextrose, and the antibiotics.

Can't speak to practices at the hospital your SIL was at..  but some hospitals give you the prescription and get YOU to go get it..  which means you can shop around if need be, choose a generic brand if need be, use discount cards, and in general get your best price.  At Chong Hua in Cebu they won't LET you use medications that you DON'T buy at the hospital pharmacy, and the medications we needed WERE a little more expensive at the hospital pharmacy that at Rose and Mercury, but that changed after the pharmacy applied the discount for paying cash.

For SURE the hospitals don't mind being expensive..  and for SURE you takes your chances if you rely on the cheap clinics..  depending what the medical issue is..  This is something we all have to face here.  In my case I treated first 2 cases of cellulitis at Chong Hua, and third  via small clinic..  Result was cure in all three cases.. in about same time, but 95% cost saving by avoiding Chong Hua for the third case.  And had some serious stomach issues from the oral antibiotic prescribed at the clinic that didn't happen when I had IV antibiotics at the hospital.  

BTW..  wife tells me I should wear socks..  no idea really how that's gonna help me avoid round 4.

Absolutely yes about the P8,000 per day. For UTI? They even put her on dextrose to make it more dramatic. The problem is that my gf's mom panicked and took her to a hospital instead of a clinic.

BTW what are socks? If I remember right you put those on before shoes? I don't own either one of those.:lol:

M.C.A.

To_Dave007... I've never heard of cellulitis before but that's what I must have gotten my first year here I work in the yard a lot and also the combination of mosquito bites and then flies getting into it I had a very bad rash or worse on the top of my foot, ended up the sister-in-law boiled some Guava leaves and cleaned the wound area and then I took antibiotics and also put the antibiotic directly on the wound. 

Your wife has it right wear socks if in the yard especially if wearing boots or outside sitting around but then again after a couple years I stopped getting those rashes scratching it also didn't help plus the food poisoning issues it takes a while for the body to get used to the bugs here.

yingy52
5 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

To_Dave007... I've never heard of cellulitis before but that's what I must have gotten my first year here I work in the yard a lot and also the combination of mosquito bites and then flies getting into it I had a very bad rash or worse on the top of my foot, ended up the sister-in-law boiled some Guava leaves and cleaned the wound area and then I took antibiotics and also put the antibiotic directly on the wound. 

Your wife has it right wear socks if in the yard especially if wearing boots or outside sitting around but then again after a couple years I stopped getting those rashes scratching it also didn't help plus the food poisoning issues it takes a while for the body to get used to the bugs here.

If you are not using sulphur soap yet you might want to give it a try. When I started using it I didn't have any more rashes or boils. I shower in the morning  and late afternoon. Haven't had food poisoning yet but I don't eat the food that my gf leaves out all day without refrigeration. Eat a lot of garlic and the mosquitoes and girls will stay away from you.

• Like 3

Salty Dog
1 hour ago, yingy52 said:

P8,000 is ridiculous for a non private room for UTI. 

You've got a point there. Although it's been over 5 years now. I was at the Silliman University Medical Center in Dumaguete for over a month in a new private room. It cost me P2,000 a day. I was in ICU for 5 days and it was even less, at P1,800 a day.

Headshot

Yingy, what hospital was this?

yingy52
2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Yingy, what hospital was this?

Our Savior Hospital. Rosario, Cavite. After my gf raised hell she told me that they had 4 patients there waiting for relatives to come up with the "ransom" money to get them out. This place needs to be shut down. But what can I do? Nothing.

• Thanks 1

oztony
24 minutes ago, yingy52 said:

Our Savior Hospital.

"Our motto is enjoy it while you can , we treat and cure your ailments but after you pay our bill you ultimately starve to death , so hence our motto...enjoy it while you can..."

Jawny

I saw a google maps photo of the hospital and noticed a large sign indicating all the various insurance plans accepted by the hospital.  It wouldn’t surprise me that the high price per day was the cash price.  Insured patients would likely have a significantly reduced price.

With regard to the dextrose as part of treatment, I’ve seen this done in every hospital I’ve been to.  It may be explained as "protocol" but it seems more like an anchor of sorts, to keep patients.  

I don’t fault Chung Hua for insisting the meds be administered by their own pharmacy. This seems reasonable to give patients assurances the meds are the correct ones and are administered by the staff. I’ve had instances where maintenance meds of the patient were allowed from their own supply.  The meds were given to the staff for them to include in the doctor's other meds. 

We've had several instances in my family where we insisted upon an early discharge. The bill was paid and a waiver was signed to release the hospital from liabilities. 

• Like 1

to_dave007
3 hours ago, yingy52 said:

Our Savior Hospital. Rosario, Cavite. After my gf raised hell she told me that they had 4 patients there waiting for relatives to come up with the "ransom" money to get them out. This place needs to be shut down. But what can I do? Nothing.

Ransom?  You remove the IV..  and walk out.  It isn't a prison.  At least that stops even FURTHER charges from accumulating.

Edited by to_dave007

Sven

The reason I think it was a con is because we went to a regular clinic the same day we got her out. Got the medication for P250 while the hospital pharmacy wanted over P1,000 for the same. P8,000 is ridiculous for a non private room for UTI. 

Was it the same brand of medicine, though?

Two different names for the same medicine can easily differ by a factor of 5 or so. Doctors will happily prescribe the expensive "original" ... and I suppose hospital pharmacies are likely to stock nothing else.

That's all over the world... not really specifically about the Philippines.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk