Janneo

Identify This Snake

Jawny

One of my children was bitten by an unidentifed snake.  We immediately went to a hospital ER in Ormoc City.  The on duty physician was clearly overwhelmed with the situation.  None of the nursing staff seemed to know what to do except comfort the child. 

It was nearly an hour after the bite we decided to leave the hospital and contact a family physician. By the time we called him, he advised the child would typically be experiencing some reaction.  There was none.  The bite could be seen, but it had not penetrated the skin.  

Im telling this partly to point out that an ER staff may not really know much about how to deal with a snake bite.  When we asked if they had anti venom, they said yes.  However, this was a Filipino yes.  

There was anti venom for various snakes available, but not in the hospital.  So, it’s a Filipino yes.  The anti venom was available (maybe?) in the city of Ormoc health office.  Of course, they were closed, and the hospital did not know how to contact them off duty. 

My plan B, when I learned this, was to make a call to the hospital that Manny Pacquiao was bitten by a snake.  We need to bring him in.  Can you please have antivenom available?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

cookie47

Well I'm happy that all turned out well for you and your Son.

I urge anyone that may have glossed over this subject and to be fair may have not even thought this knowledge was needed to visit the many Australian sites that show the correct first aid method that IF implemented quickly "could" mean the difference between life and death.We ALWAYS carried a snakebite bandage in the car. If one can identify the snake "yeh difficult" it will help the doctors to select the best anti venom for the best outcome, otherwise a generic anti venom will be used. Sometimes IF IF the snake is killed (Although technically illegal in Australia) and can be taken to the hospital. This is excellent for ID.

However i know of a case where the doctor asked "Do you know what" type" O, yes doctor, the neighbours brought it.
O good,
Where is it.
Outside in a bag in the ute (pickup).
I'll take a look.
Sheeeeeet, you didn't tell me it was still alive.....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Headshot
6 hours ago, Jawny said:

My plan B, when I learned this, was to make a call to the hospital that Manny Pacquiao was bitten by a snake.  We need to bring him in.  Can you please have antivenom available?

When the last person (a couple of years ago) in Cebu City was bitten by a Philippine cobra (at the Cebu City Zoo), they had to send a private plane to Camiguin for some anti-venom. It isn't all that common in the Philippines. Local hospitals don't stock it.

Cobra venom is a neurotoxin, so it is likely that if Janneo was bitten, he would certainly know it by now. He would be in excruciating pain, and parts of his body would be shutting down.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Janneo
16 hours ago, Headshot said:

When the last person (a couple of years ago) in Cebu City was bitten by a Philippine cobra (at the Cebu City Zoo), they had to send a private plane to Camiguin for some anti-venom. It isn't all that common in the Philippines. Local hospitals don't stock it.

Cobra venom is a neurotoxin, so it is likely that if Janneo was bitten, he would certainly know it by now. He would be in excruciating pain, and parts of his body would be shutting down.

Hopefully anti-venom is more prevalent in the areas where the risk are higher. 

If I was bitten, and it was a successful bite, and it wasn't a dry bite and it actually was a Philippine cobra then yes, I probably would not be feeling very well.  :-)

Naja_philippinensis_distribution.jpg

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Showed the photo to my wife and as soon as she saw it, she said the same thing I thought; cobra. They were quite prevalent in southern Luzon where she was from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Rat
On 10/18/2018 at 6:53 PM, Headshot said:

You should probably just be relieved that the Philippine cobra in your kitchen is now dead, and that nobody was hurt  during the episode.

And quite possibly a spitting variety which is common in some regions of the Philippines , I'd say they may have got off lightly!

• Like 1

fivestarph

Caught this guy in the garden with eyes bigger than his stomach. He spat it out in the end.

P5117108.JPG

P5117104.JPG

Edited by fivestarph
  • Like 2

cookie47
Caught this guy in the garden with eyes bigger than his stomach. He spat it out in the end.

P5117108.thumb.JPG.1ad1fe6b4deb993238e7383412d1b8f3.JPG
P5117104.thumb.JPG.0bddcdc8dcf2bdfa00ae58432c1f7c93.JPG
2nd picture, are those red dots on it's back, or some reflection

fivestarph

Its markings on its back. We have quite a few roaming around the garden.

It's a Paradise Tree Snake Chrysopelea paradisi

P4130133a.jpg

Edited by fivestarph
  • Like 2

cookie47
Its markings on its back. We have quite a few roaming around the garden.
It's a Paradise Tree Snake Chrysopelea paradisi
P4130133a.thumb.jpg.4d3d55035cacf3ef631a94b6614f0e90.jpg
AH ok,...... Thanks, yes very distinct markings compared to the other post but obviously a different snake.

cookie47

Looked it up....... Interesting.

Can "glide" from tree to tree..

Fortunately not seriously venomous due to the location of fangs. "Well so what Dr Google says".

Its ironic that I've lived (visited really) Escalante.13 years..
Visited in Carcar nearly annually For 17 years.and never seen a snake, (sister in law apparently saw 1 in Carcar but gone like a rocket..

• Like 1

fivestarph
25 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

AH ok,...... Thanks, yes very distinct markings compared to the other post but obviously a different snake.

Same basic species.  Chrysopelea ornata

• Like 1

GBT62

probably quite tasty if cooked just right .... maybe a little soy n vinegar, not mustard like they used here :lol:

image.png.90fc62ca2b828c513bf18376b9f23e00.png

• Like 1

Janneo
21 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Showed the photo to my wife and as soon as she saw it, she said the same thing I thought; cobra. They were quite prevalent in southern Luzon where she was from.

I think you both are correct.

I found this video and that snake looks pretty much the same as "mine".

• Like 3

Kreole
On 10/19/2018 at 12:50 PM, Janneo said:

Dunno if these pictures helps in anyway ...  

snake2.jpg

snakehead.jpg

That is definitely a cobra.  You can tell by the nose and head scale configuration and by the eyes which are close to the nose.  If you were bitten, and have not suffered any ill effects, then it was a dry bite in which no venom was injected.  Very likely the snake was as surprised as you were and immediately struck out without loading venom.  But once the snake was hiding, you can bet it was in full defensive mode and ready to kill if attacked. 

Consider yourself an extremely fortunate person.  Anytime you see 2 holes together, then most certainly it was a snake bite, and the fact you did not notice it right away was probably due to high Adrenalin running through your body and that cobra fangs are not long and do not penetrate very far.  In addition, because of the short fangs, the cobra actually has to chew when biting in order to inject the venom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1