Sign in to follow this  
Janneo

Identify This Snake

RogerDat

"May have escaped from someone's luggage" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my!

• Haha 1

cookie47

Meanwhile somewhere in the world d0e020507ce69043e7fbec7eda478ede.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Busted Dick

We had one that looked exactly like that in our compound yesterday.  Asawa saw it first and loudly shouted something at it; it then proceeded to bugger off in the opposite direction from us; at the time it looked about 6ft long to me but on reflection was maybe around 4ft long.  Man, it was fast, I am unsure that I could have outrun it.  We have some construction work going on and the workers went after it with shovels etc.  Asawa and I disappeared to the nearest convenience store so I could bolster my courage with beer. When we got back, the construction workers said they failed to catch/kill it because it was too fast.  I guess that it was not a cobra, based simply on the fact that it fled, and continued to do so even when the construction workers were trying to kill it; perhaps a cobra might have turned and defended itself.  Who knows.

Third one I have seen in the 3 years I have lived here full-time.  I hate snakes!

• Like 3

cookie47

I know the first thing to think of is killing the snake, and I'm certainly one if them, however there are some issue's as outlined in the article below which basically says that more people are bitten by trying to kill the snake rather than leaving it alone......... Which i know is scary in itself. I know of a manager of a cattle station who slept outside in a swag for weeks as he knew a snake was "somewhere" in the house....

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/9310804

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GBT62

I've had 2 in the house (in the suburbs, not the bush/outback) and dozens in the yard (in AU, not here btw)

Some yard snakes you can ignore (or they are too quick and disappear) - but one going into your bedroom walk-in-wardrobe to hide under your shoes - and at another time and house, one in the kitchen heading for the safety of the chest freezer to slither under ...well they got my immediate and full attention (specially when the kids were in the house at the time).

It's amazing how fast you can find a makeshift club when the  adrenaline kicks in - and how hard you club them...

My neighbour kept chooks in a wire pen near the creek that ran behind our estate - and yet he wondered why the neighbourhood cats and dogs kept catching snakes in his yard :lol: 

• Like 3

colemanlee

I'm pretty much with the leave them alone crowd, but my problem is I have four dogs that would not leave them alone, and as the family is very attached to the dogs, we dispatch most all snakes, in town with a shovel, in the province with a shotgun...last year in the province the workers killed a 6' or so Cobra, was kind of fun as they had never eaten snake, they thought if it was poisonous that meant the whole snake was poison...cut off the head, skinned and cleaned it and cut it up into chunks and fried it...taste like chicken lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jawny

I’ve lost count how many snakes we’ve encoutered in and around our property in many years.  Every month or so we can be sure one will wander onto our property.  In fact, I’ve had two instances where snakes dropped in from trees.  Makes a distinct sound when hits the cement.

One of the most startling was a viper wrapped around the handle to our gate.....just waiting?

Last week, a Python was caught in an amusing fashion.  A rooster was attacked by the python early in the morning.  My BIL heard a lot of noise with the caged chickens.  After a while, he looked out and saw the python in the midst of swallowing a rooster.  The rooster had been tethered, so had no chance to escape.  Nor did the python as he was like a caught fish.

Yep.  Tastes like chicken  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kreole

Unless someone takes a close up photo of the snake' head or its neck ribs, then it is difficult to see from the photo.  Even if the head got bashed, the neck ribs should still be visible.  I thought there was an amateur herpetologist on this forum; at least I remember one commenting some years back.  Whoever you are I hope you are able to respond to this post.

Janneo
2 hours ago, Kreole said:

Unless someone takes a close up photo of the snake' head or its neck ribs, then it is difficult to see from the photo.  Even if the head got bashed, the neck ribs should still be visible.  I thought there was an amateur herpetologist on this forum; at least I remember one commenting some years back.  Whoever you are I hope you are able to respond to this post.

Dunno if these pictures helps in anyway ...  

snake2.jpg

snakehead.jpg

Janneo

I noticed these marks on the back of my arm last night. Could be anything but intriguing.

biteOrHmm.jpg

• Like 1

cookie47
I noticed these marks on the back of my arm last night. Could be anything but intriguing.

biteOrHmm.thumb.jpg.93fd8bd575ea31dc242afc07df1cfd13.jpg
Well,,,, only you would know if you were bitten.were you ever in a position to be bitten.

It doesn't look like a "typical" wound.?.based on experience and the "generic" picture i found on the net.
Plus if you were struck and assuming it wasn't a "dry" strike AND the snake was venomous you would know by now.. As to the type of snake ill leave that to others that live here and have experienced "visitors"

34dfd40a82bd0936969fa3a41aa2e57a.jpg

• Like 2

rfm010
12 hours ago, Janneo said:

biteOrHmm.jpg

Damn!  I give you 24 hours.  Tops.

• Haha 3

Janneo
6 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Well,,,, only you would know if you were bitten.were you ever in a position to be bitten.

It doesn't look like a "typical" wound.?.based on experience and the "generic" picture i found on the net.
Plus if you were struck and assuming it wasn't a "dry" strike AND the snake was venomous you would know by now.. As to the type of snake ill leave that to others that live here and have experienced "visitors"

Totally agree. It does not look like a successful bite, and i don't recall feeling anything. I might have been in a position to get bitten when i moved my chair backwards to be able to stand up. I don't know exactly where the snake was when i did it, only that it was on the floor right behind the chair when i turned around.

I'm happy i didn't notice the marks while the snake was around, that would have freaked me out :frantic:

• Like 2

Janneo
12 minutes ago, rfm010 said:

Damn!  I give you 24 hours.  Tops.

I knew it, damn. Bye guys

• Like 1

cookie47
Totally agree. It does not look like a successful bite, and i don't recall feeling anything. I might have been in a position to get bitten when i moved my chair backwards to be able to stand up. I don't know exactly where the snake was when i did it, only that it was on the floor right behind the chair when i turned around.
I'm happy i didn't notice the marks while the snake was around, that would have freaked me out :frantic:
Ok, I do sincerely hope that the people who have and live in areas of probable snake sightings know the correct first aid method.
I say this "with respect" as I've discovered that First aid training is very much in the background in the Philippines, This I've discovered talking to my family (I've done two intensive courses) although our ex Military members would have. Plus i have no experience of the availability of Anti venom in PH..

• Like 2