Sign in to follow this  
Janneo

Identify This Snake

Janneo

Had a scare today. I was standing up after doing something on the computer and turned around. Half a meter away was this creature.

I pushed my chair at it, and it moved away and hid behind/under my fridge. When it moved it looked like the body was wider behind the head

than the rest of the body. Thinking cobra i did not want to mess with it myself so i contacted my landlord who contacted my neighbors helper.

Wish i had taken a picture of that snake hunt. The guy stands on top of the fridge with a long piece of wood, wriggling n shaking the fridge to make the snake

come out from underneath it. It took a few hits and misses until success. Poor snake, but hey, you were not invited.

snake.thumb.jpg.f0f4ef520cc3b0e60cdface9ada6d48f.jpg

• Like 2

Jawny

We’ve had several cobras wander into our property. Not certain, but this looks similar. 

• Like 3

Janneo

I was hoping for a response more like ... "totally harmless"  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

to_dave007

Isn't that a rat snake?  If so it WOULD be harmless.

Did you fry it or stew it?

• Like 2

cookie47

Never had anything to do with Philippines snakes, however saw a lot in Australia. The net has come up with a close looking picture of a Philippine Cobra, although cant confirm as the neck frill is not really visible.
Its venomous, and apparently endangered. d20ec12abd6e2f7bd40183464f338ab8.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

oztony

I have "Identified this snake" , it's actually my favourite type of all snakes ...it's a Dead snake , the best you can get ....congrats on having one ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

cookie47
I have "Identified this snake" , it's actually my favourite type of all snakes ...it's a Dead snake , the best you can get ....congrats on having one ...
I'm with you...

• Like 1

Janneo
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Isn't that a rat snake?  If so it WOULD be harmless.

Did you fry it or stew it?

Harmless would be great if there are any more around.

The ants outside are having a feast. I'm happy with my noodles.

• Haha 1

GBT62

green or carpet snakes = good

all others need a shovel first - indentify later.  Have had too many come into the house over the years in Oz ..... then the only good snake is a flathead snake,,,

I don't mind redback spiders on the other hand, One poor one died biting my ex on the ass cheek when it was in her one piece swimmers she got off the clothes line and pulled them on fast., No one was volunteering to suck the poison out :D   ahhhh good times

• Like 4

Janneo
17 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Never had anything to do with Philippines snakes, however saw a lot in Australia. The net has come up with a close looking picture of a Philippine Cobra, although cant confirm as the neck frill is not really visible.
Its venomous, and apparently endangered. d20ec12abd6e2f7bd40183464f338ab8.jpg

The coloring and scale pattern do look very similar. I never saw it in that position luckily. I suppose the neck only looks like that when it defends itself (?)

• Like 2

Janneo
16 minutes ago, oztony said:

You being from Australia I can surely understand your feelings. Scary place :)

• Like 2

oztony
8 minutes ago, Janneo said:

You being from Australia I can surely understand your feelings. Scary place :)

It actually looks like an Eastern Brown , in the top ten for most deadly in the world. 

image.thumb.png.67bc2edbd3bf76616d2dc41fd6332a5d.png

• Like 3

Headshot
30 minutes ago, Janneo said:

Harmless would be great if there are any more around.

The ants outside are having a feast. I'm happy with my noodles.

You should probably just be relieved that the Philippine cobra in your kitchen is now dead, and that nobody was hurt  during the episode.

• Like 2

cookie47
It actually looks like an Eastern Brown , in the top ten for most deadly in the world. 
image.thumb.png.67bc2edbd3bf76616d2dc41fd6332a5d.png
Yes, absolutely, had it not been in the Philippines that's what i would have chosen without question.

May have escaped from someone's luggage

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dafey
1 hour ago, oztony said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1