Sign in to follow this  
RangerUp

Swimming Is Unsafe In Waters Off Mactan Island Cebu & Panglao Island Bohol

lolhahaha

The beaches in San Diego CA are regularly shut down to swimming because of pollution coming from Mexico. Those beaches are at least 30 miles from Mexico. I wonder what the pollution standards are in the US compared to the Philippines (as if they have them in PI except for Boracay). Considering on Mactan, if you swim in the water there,  you are no more than a mile from 1000s shitting directly into the ocean. 

And the ocean off the coast of California is circulating south yet they still get all that nasty shit from Mexico.  https://www.sdcoastkeeper.org/learn/swimmable/san-diego-water-quality/beach-advisories

SkyMan
1 hour ago, musicman666 said:

I swam off the coast of mactan not that long ago and as a result my face was a mass of boils and blisters ....never had that when I swam in the hotel pool so I can only assume the mactan sea water is polluted. 

At certain times of the year those waters also have lots of small, almost invisible, jellyfish. 

wondersailor

When I was a child, we would go to the beach and hunt for shells. Fast forward and half way around the globe, it's turd hunting. Things just better with time.:evan:

fred42
On 10/18/2018 at 11:51 AM, lamoe said:

Going end of month for a week

Doesn't say which coast or where tested. Looks like it doesn't matter

"Up to 90 percent of the resorts in Panglao have no wastewater facilities, Panglao Councilor Rogelyn Clemeña-Degoma earlier said."

They do..They are called 3 stage septic tanks. The building code demands they have one. The tanks must be built to an approved plan,otherwise no building permit.
The island has no waste water facilities and they no longer pick up un recyclable garbage.. It`s either burned or buried.

Headshot
44 minutes ago, fred42 said:

They do..They are called 3 stage septic tanks. The building code demands they have one. The tanks must be built to an approved plan,otherwise no building permit.
The island has no waste water facilities and they no longer pick up non-recyclable garbage.. It`s either burned or buried.

True, but septic tanks that then drain into the ocean (or creeks that drain into the ocean) are no substitute for real sewage treatment facilities. In most parts of the world, sewage collection and treatment in urban areas are the responsibilities of the government, NOT individuals. Maybe the government here needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror before they go closing areas down due to non-compliance.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

SkyMan
7 hours ago, Headshot said:

In most parts of the world, sewage collection and treatment in urban areas are the responsibilities of the government, NOT individuals.

Well, yes and no,  For example, if you buy land in a residential zoned area and build a house then yes, the treatment has been planned for and paid for through property taxes.  But if you decide to build an apartment building, the plans have to include the burden on the on sewage system.  If the building were large enough you might have to make a large payment towards upgrading the treatment facility.  You can refuse but then no permit for you.  The gov't doesn't pay for anything, they just shell out individuals money.

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Well, yes and no,  For example, if you buy land in a residential zoned area and build a house then yes, the treatment has been planned for and paid for through property taxes.  But if you decide to build an apartment building, the plans have to include the burden on the on sewage system.  If the building were large enough you might have to make a large payment towards upgrading the treatment facility.  You can refuse but then no permit for you.  The gov't doesn't pay for anything, they just shell out individuals money.

That is true, but those requirements are generated by the government to make sure that its sewage collection and treatment system continues to adequately serve the community. There is nothing like that here (at least not on Cebu). Government expects individuals to deal with their own sewage. Obviously, if they ever install sewage collection and treatment facilities here, they will have to charge (mandatory) hookup fees. I don't believe that hookups can be on a voluntary basis, or else nobody will hook up to the system.

Sven

It's not all hopeless. I was visiting the new condos at Mactan Newtown last week, where the infinity pool has a gorgeous view of ... you guessed it, a new sewage treatment plant. It's the white structure in the middle of this picture. I think it's a private installation serving Newtown.

eeec8100499d5709f20298d1b2aee726.jpg

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Cgu
32 minutes ago, Sven said:

I was visiting the new condos at Mactan Newtown last week, where the infinity pool has a gorgeous view of ... you guessed it, a new sewage treatment plant

That is good news.

Most garbage etc. comes from the north. In this north bay just there (other side of Mactan Newtown), I once saw even a dead pig floating. The whole garbage from the north is collected there....I do not recommend swimming on the north side.

RangerUp
On 10/21/2018 at 12:12 AM, Cgu said:

Most garbage etc. comes from the north. In this north bay just there (other side of Mactan Newtown), I once saw even a dead pig floating. The whole garbage from the north is collected there....I do not recommend swimming on the north side.

What do you mean "garbage from the north" and how is that related to the seawater?  North of Newtown is Punta Engano.

Cgu
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RangerUp said:

What do you mean "garbage from the north" and how is that related to the seawater?  North of Newtown is Punta Engano.

Any shoreline facing north. All garbage finding is way to sea  from northern Cebu and Leyte will end up there due to the current. I think it is called Magellan Bay..it is really a big garbage pit, only located in the sea. Really disgusting..no way I would like to live close to this bay.

I think it is the shoreline (and sea) seen in the picture posted by Sven (as this seems north)

Edited by Cgu
  • Like 1

RangerUp
1 minute ago, Cgu said:

Any shoreline facing north. All garbage finding is way to sea  from northern Cebu and Leyte will end up there due to the current. I think it is called Magellan Bay

Right, the Magellan Bay and the Mactan Channel are confirmed toxic.

The question is how far that extends to the other side,  where Newtown beach is.

bmoore
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:43 AM, lolhahaha said:

The beaches in San Diego CA are regularly shut down to swimming because of pollution coming from Mexico

Imperial Beach is regularly closed due to run off from Mexico. All SD beaches are closed for 48-72 hours after a significant rainfall, due to run off from San Diego itself. All storm drains run to the  sea.

Mactan Diving is surprisingly good. Too bad the water quality has degraded.  Ten or twenty years ago I was not too concerned.  Diving at Olango is good and the water quality should be good. There is very strong current running between Mactan and Olango to wash things out.  Diving the Mactan wall can be like a Disney ride.

I would not recommend swimming between Olango and Mactan. If the Jet ski does not get you, you may end up in Leyte while your banca pilot takes a nap.