Sign in to follow this  
RangerUp

Swimming Is Unsafe In Waters Off Mactan Island Cebu & Panglao Island Bohol

RangerUp

William Cuñado, director of the EMB in Central Visayas, said the bureau’s recent study found that fecal coliform reached 150 to 200 most probable number (MPN) in Panglao and 180 to 250 MPN in Mactan.

The figures exceed the acceptable concentration of 100 MPN per 100 milliliters, which is considered safe for swimming and water sports.

Levels above tolerable standards may lead to illnesses after contact with or ingestion of water.

The contamination may be due to poor or noncompliance with proper wastewater treatment and sewage disposal systems by hotels and resorts that have proliferated in Mactan and Panglao, Cuñado said.

He said more than 300 hotels and resorts in Panglao, crown jewel of Bohol’s tourism, had been issued notices of violation of the Clean Water Act (Republic Act No. 9275).https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/982096/denr-uncovers-mactan-panglao-cesspools

• Like 1

TequilaSunset

Reported in April... so could be worse now or better... and I am going to Panglao in Dec, great!

lamoe
10 minutes ago, TequilaSunset said:

Reported in April... so could be worse now or better... and I am going to Panglao in Dec, great!

Going end of month for a week

Doesn't say which coast or where tested. Looks like it doesn't matter

"Up to 90 percent of the resorts in Panglao have no wastewater facilities, Panglao Councilor Rogelyn Clemeña-Degoma earlier said."

Enuff

William Cuñado, director of the EMB in Central Visayas, said the bureau’s recent study found that fecal coliform reached 150 to 200 most probable number (MPN) in Panglao and 180 to 250 MPN in Mactan.
The figures exceed the acceptable concentration of 100 MPN per 100 milliliters, which is considered safe for swimming and water sports.
Levels above tolerable standards may lead to illnesses after contact with or ingestion of water.
The contamination may be due to poor or noncompliance with proper wastewater treatment and sewage disposal systems by hotels and resorts that have proliferated in Mactan and Panglao, Cuñado said.
He said more than 300 hotels and resorts in Panglao, crown jewel of Bohol’s tourism, had been issued notices of violation of the Clean Water Act (Republic Act No. 9275).https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/982096/denr-uncovers-mactan-panglao-cesspools

Shut it down!

Similar to Boracay, Mactan is very easy to fix. Cancel all holidays, day swimming and getaways.

We're only talking about a few hundred thousand people here.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

RangerUp
32 minutes ago, Enuff said:

Similar to Boracay, Mactan is very easy to fix.

Mactan has hundreds if not thousands of waterfront squatters contributing to this faecal problem.

• Like 1

Enuff
Mactan has hundreds if not thousands of waterfront squatters contributing to this faecal problem.
Sadly, that's not the problem. It's Cebu City, Consolacion, Liloan and Talisay. I'll huge cities without waste treatment.

• Like 3

to_dave007
2 minutes ago, Enuff said:

Sadly, that's not the problem. It's Cebu City, Consolacion, Liloan and Talisay. I'll huge cities without waste treatment.

And so far..  haven't seen any concrete plans to add waste treatment to the city infrastructure either.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

TequilaSunset

So basically what I'm understanding, swimming in the Philippines is something to avoid... Sighs

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cgu

You are better off in the water than on land. I remembered when a (big) company donated signs showing the air quality in Manila (back in the late 90'!!) the local govt was exited, but shut them down after 2-3 weeks, when the signs were showing "stay at home":D (no joke!!).

I guess by now breathing the air in Mactan or Cebu is much worse. So just swallow a little bit of shit...might be better than getting all the fumes...

RangerUp

“We don’t want to see the day when the President will order the closure of our tourism industry in Mactan Island for rehabilitation."

The Water Code of the Philippines mandates a 3-three-meter easement from the shoreline for highly urbanized cities. The law states: “No person shall be allowed to stay in this zone longer than what is necessary for recreation, navigation, flotage, fishing or salvage or to build structures of any kind.”

An initial list from DENR-7 showed that 76 establishments had easement violations in Mactan Island. The most common of which were seawalls, dikes, fences, buildings, restaurants,swimming pools, causeways, ripraps, cottages,viewing decks,guard outposts, man-made islets,and a pier.

DENR also noted the construction of houses by informal settlers and even a subdivision by a developer.  - https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/179935/stakeholders-told-save-mactan-island

It seems like EMB and DENR have no power to do anything but observe, maybe the only one who can actually shut down big business for violations in the Philippines is the President himself.

colemanlee

In Tacloban, a great portion of the waterfront is occupied by what they call informal settlers, squatters in real life, who have built large settlements of houses both by and on the water, and their sewage goes directly into the bay, come to think of it, most of Leyte I've seen is that way, no, most of the Philippines is that way...and they will not do anything about the squatters just like they will not do anything about the Jeepneys and multi-cabs...why?  Because those people vote...

• Like 3

Dafey
2 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

So basically what I'm understanding, swimming in the Philippines is something to avoid... Sighs

Have a boat drop you off 500 meters from shore and you should be good. Just watch out for Ocean jet!

• Like 4

SkyMan
49 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Have a boat drop you off 500 meters from shore and you should be good. Just watch out for Ocean jet!

Great, fix the pollution problem by throwing more trash in the water.

• Haha 4

TequilaSunset
Great, fix the pollution problem by throwing more trash in the water.
I hate you

• Haha 2

musicman666

I swam off the coast of mactan not that long ago and as a result my face was a mass of boils and blisters ....never had that when I swam in the hotel pool so I can only assume the mactan sea water is polluted.