Business For Expat To Start?

lamoe

1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Doesn't rent as the business - rents to drivers who can't afford their own - sort of like a taxi leasing company.

So who got TODA to sign this off?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• cookie47

• yingy52

• Woolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to make a small fortune here come and start with a large fortune.

surprised the local trike mafia have not blown them up

If you want to start a business, do something that the locals don't do and where the learning curve is too great for them to copy. Just as an example, I can sell every kilo of goat meat that I ca

Posted Images

As a business, I would be cautious with one that receives a payment (rent) for use of the vehicle.  Specifically, as the owner of the vehicle, I would be concerned that any liability falls to me.  I’m referring to liability in regards to property damage or worse.  It’s been my experience, the owner of the vehicle is the one expected to cover the costs in the event of an accident.  

There may be insurance as an option, but that can create another set of problems. 

I’ve  had a bakery for many years, and there are many government agencies involved in just being "legal" with business license, permits and such.  On top of that, there is the income which needs to be taxed (potentially). With regard to these vehicles, I am only guessing here, but I would imagine the LTO will also have something to say about the registration as well as the LTFRB (correct acronym?) if the driver is renting to operate as a pick up service.

Even in my area, if I use a driver with my car, no problem.  But if he uses his permitted multi cab he has limits on where he can take me without violating the terms of his permits.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MickyG said:

So who got TODA to sign this off?

?

Can give you contact info if you want.

1 hour ago, Jawny said:

As a business, I would be cautious with one that receives a payment (rent) for use of the vehicle.  Specifically, as the owner of the vehicle, I would be concerned that any liability falls to me.  I’m referring to liability in regards to property damage or worse.  It’s been my experience, the owner of the vehicle is the one expected to cover the costs in the event of an accident.  

There may be insurance as an option, but that can create another set of problems. 

I’ve  had a bakery for many years, and there are many government agencies involved in just being "legal" with business license, permits and such.  On top of that, there is the income which needs to be taxed (potentially). With regard to these vehicles, I am only guessing here, but I would imagine the LTO will also have something to say about the registration as well as the LTFRB (correct acronym?) if the driver is renting to operate as a pick up service.

Even in my area, if I use a driver with my car, no problem.  But if he uses his permitted multi cab he has limits on where he can take me without violating the terms of his permits.

Don't know if he is the registered owner - says gen mgr on paper

If you take paying passengers you need an insurance that cover the passengers in case of an accident 

also the driver needs a pro license 

• Like 1

there was a lot of the 2 types of the racals here in my area, no more

at first they had no plates, later they had tricycle plates

my granddaughter say they are no more, I guess that they discovered the cost involved when they had to replace the batteries

if you are on a tourist visa, stay away from any kind of business  

Edited by Woolf
18 minutes ago, Woolf said:

If you take paying passengers you need an insurance that cover the passengers in case of an accident 

also the driver needs a pro license 

Need and have are not the same here :rose:

I'm not interested, was looking at one as transportation at one time - given the number of times I've been dinged just sitting in traffic - in  city traffic a death trap -  just passing on info

If we had gotten the place in Lapu Lapu would probably have one with multicab as backup

11 minutes ago, Woolf said:

there was a lot of the 2 types of the racals here in my area, no more

at first they had no plates, later they had tricycle plates

my granddaughter say they are no more, I guess that they discovered the cost involved when they had to replace the batteries

if you are on a tourist visa, stay away from any kind of business  

Edited by lamoe
2 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Need and have are not the same here :rose:

that is until you have an accident, then you will see it is better to live up to the law

19 minutes ago, Woolf said:

that is until you have an accident, then you will see it is better to live up to the law

True - that's why my auto insurance is waaaaay above minimum.

Edited by lamoe
20 minutes ago, lamoe said:

I'll send you his contact info and you can educate him if you want.

Why would I want to contact him, it is NOT my problem how he runs a business

I just want to warn others to start a business here in philippines, without understanding all the pitfalls 

my posts here are not specially for YOU. but general comments 

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Why would I want to contact him, it is NOT my problem how he runs a business

I just want to warn others to start a business here in philippines, without understanding all the pitfalls 

my posts here is not specially for YOU. but general comments 

Edited post due to misunderstanding

Have been offered several business opportunities - Sari sari, coal, and trike

None by her family

1st question  I asked was ROI (return on investment) -

Blank stare - end of discussion.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, lamoe said:

1st question  I asked was ROI (return on investment) -

1st answer could be deportation

5 hours ago, lamoe said:

No  - been there / done that

Just passing along experience to leaven my political posts

He's from Jersey (that's New Jersey - not the original :tongue_01:)

Doesn't rent as the business - rents to drivers who can't afford their own - sort of like a taxi leasing company.

Stop making your political posts' I've been warned.

• Confused 1
oztony
12 minutes ago, yingy52 said:

Try rolling with the punches a bit ...and move on from any "little" finding the groove episodes ..as a lot of new members experience ....comments like the above one are just unnecessary .... 

15 minutes ago, yingy52 said:

?

"Just passing along experience to leaven my political posts"

Leaven -  to offset

2. An element, influence, or agent that works subtly to lighten, enliven, or modify a whole.

Trying to not post only politically, also little bit of humor, science, general interest, etc.

7 minutes ago, lamoe said:

?

"Just passing along experience to leaven my political posts"

Leaven -  to offset

2. An element, influence, or agent that works subtly to lighten, enliven, or modify a whole.

Trying to not post only politically, also little bit of humor, science, general interest, etc.

Ok I'm getting it. No offense intended.