Beer Prices 'to Soar' As Global Warming Effects Take Hold

• Administrator
Dafey

Climate change threatens to cause a global crisis in beer supply, researchers have warned.

The effects of global warming are likely to lead to a sharp fall in worldwide crop yields of barley – an essential ingredient.

Scientists predict droughts and heatwaves could cause barley declines of up to 17 per cent in parts of Europe, Australia, Asia and the US where the grain is grown most.

© Provided by Independent Digital News & Media Limited As a result, the cost of beer could soar. According to the study published today in Nature Plants, the most severe kind of climate change events would see prices double.

The price of a six-pack of beer could go up by an extra £15 in some parts of the world.

Beer can be so much more than just a drink enjoyed with friends. From a cleaning agent to meat tenderizer, find out what this versatile alcoholic beverage can do.

Being slightly acidic, beer works as a great meat tenderizer and does not alter its taste as much as chemical tenderizers do.

Attract butterflies to your garden

Butterflies eat rotting fruit, tree sap, dung, carrion and urine. To keep your garden free of droppings and decay, you must attract butterflies. Mix a little flat beer with mashed overripe banana and a cup of brown sugar. Spread the mixture on tree trunks, fences, garden pottery and rocks, to convince the pretty butterflies to call your space home.

Cook rice in beer

Try cooking fragrant rice varieties like basmati or jasmine in beer instead of water. The end result will be yummy, fluffy and flavorsome.

Loosen rusty bolts

Pour some beer on rusty bolts and wait a few minutes. The acidic properties in the beer can break up the rust.

Remove beverage stains

Beer is useful in removing coffee or tea stains from carpets or rugs. Pour a little over the stain and rub lightly. If the stain isn't cleared in one go, repeat the process a few times.

Pedicure

For a DiY home-made pedicure, try soaking your feet in a basin filled with stale beer and warm water. The yeast in the beer helps soften tough skin on the soles, giving you softer feet

Restore hair volume

Pour a glass of beer and let it sit overnight. The following day, after washing with regular shampoo, pour the stale beer over your hair and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it clean. The proteins and Vitamin B in the beer add shine and bounce.

Polish gold jewelry

The carbonic acid present in beer can dissolve oil and dirt stuck on jewelry. Instead of using an expensive cleaner, drop your jewelry in beer for a while and clean with a dry cloth. 

Polish wooden furniture

Flat beer may not taste good but it can work as a cleansing and shining agent. Beer's slight foaminess helps loosen the dust while the malt enhances the wood’s hue. Moreover, the alcohol content boosts the shine of the furniture. Dampen a microfiber cloth with beer, rub it on the furniture and then buff-dry with a clean cloth.

Fertilize your garden

According to professional gardeners, beer can help fix brown spots on your lawn. The acids in the beer kill fungus and the fermented sugars stimulate plant growth.

Clean copper utensils

Have your copper utensils lost their shine? Get it back by soaking them in beer for a short while and then rub them gently with a cloth dipped in more beer. The beverage's acidic properties removes stains and grime

Keep mosquitoes and flies away

Mix stale beer, Epsom or sea salt, active dry yeast and mouthwash in equal parts in a spray bottle. Shake well and let the ingredients dissolve. Spray your yard every month to keep insects away. Do not spray on flowering plants.

Sleep better

Did you know hop flowers - one of the key ingredients in beer - are natural sedatives? Wash your bed linen in equal amounts of water and beer; the fabric absorbs the aroma and you should be able to enjoy a good night's sleep.

Extinguish small fires

The best way to fight fires is with proper fire-fighting equipment. However, if you're at a summer barbecue, with a pint of beer in one hand, and a small fire breaks out on the grill, fret not - simply dunk your can of beer on the fire to put it out.

Do not, however, try extinguishing grease or electrical fires with beer.

Kill slugs

Pour some beer in jars and bury them. Make sure the rims of the jars are level with the soil surface. Slugs have a liking for beer and will be attracted to the alcoholic treat. However, once they take a dip in the jar, there’s no coming back!

Research co-author Dr Steven Davis, from the University of California, said: “The world is facing many life-threatening impacts of climate change, so people having to spend a bit more to drink beer may seem trivial by comparison.

“But there is definitely a cross-cultural appeal to beer, and not having a cool pint at the end of an increasingly common hot day just adds insult to injury.”

Only 17 per cent of global barley crops are used to brew alcohol – most of it is harvested as feed for livestock.

The research team predicted that hungry animals will be first in the queue for available barley in future decades, ahead of thirsty humans.

The lead UK author of the research Dabo Guan, professor of climate change economics at UEA’s School of International Development, said climate change may undermine the availability of “luxury” goods like beer more than staple foods.

© Provided by Shutterstock Scientists predict droughts and heatwaves could cause barley declines of up to 17 per cent in parts of Europe, Australia, Asia and the US where the grain is grown most. “Although some attention has been paid to the potential impacts of climate change on luxury crops such as wine and coffee, the impacts on beer have not been carefully evaluated,” said Professor Guan.

“A sufficient beer supply may help with the stability of entertainment and communication in society,” he added.

Barley-growing regions including the northern Great Plains of the US and the Asian steppe are likely to experience more frequent droughts in years to come as a result of global warming, according to the study.

Potential average yield losses ranging from 3 per cent to 17 per cent, depending on the severity of climate change.

Beer prices were predicted to rise most in wealthy beer-loving countries such as Belgium, Canada, Denmark and Polan

d.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/foodanddrink/foodnews/beer-prices-to-soar-as-global-warming-effects-take-hold-study-says/ar-BBOrA9d?ocid=spartandhp

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
RogerDuMond
55 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Climate change threatens to cause a global crisis in beer supply, researchers have warned.

294820340_trumplaughing.jpg.f044566d77e7ea90a0f9caee91011111.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
wondersailor

Beer does indeed loosen rusty nuts. The proof is in many our very existences is owed to the brew. Dad + beer = me. A toast to the suds! :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
BossHog

Yeah like I'm really gonna mix my beer with bananas and sugar and put it on garden pottery.

I don't even have garden pottery.

But I got bananas and beer. I drink the beer and eat the bananas. Seems fairly straightforward.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

• Like 1
RogerDuMond
5 minutes ago, BossHog said:

I don't even have garden pottery.

But I got bananas and beer. I drink the beer and eat the bananas. Seems fairly straightforward.

Drink the beer, eat the bananas, then piss on your neighbor's pottery.

• Like 3
SkyMan

Was this written by United Barley Growers?  First, some BS about how the barley crops will be wiped out followed by 20 ways to waste beer. WTFO?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

It's like the orange crop in Florida...if there is a freeze they cry about the price will have to go up for orange juice. The freeze makes the crop sweeter but it needs to be picked quickly before it rots on the tree.

Any excuse to raise the price of your product that sounds good. 

Global warming should do wonders for the Agave crop at the Tequila factory!

• Like 3
TequilaSunset

Tequila! Blue agave thrives in the Mexican desert!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TequilaSunset

Tequila! Blue agave thrives in the Mexican desert!

Sighs.... Double posting a lot on Tapa

• Thanks 1