Proposed Bill Requires Car Buyers To Show Proof Of Parking Space

Seems like that I have read that Japan requires proof of parking before you can buy a car.Not sure how effective this program is though.

https://www.manilatimes.net/bill-requires-car-buyers-to-show-proof-of-parking-space/452317/

Bill requires car buyers to show proof of parking space

Requiring prospective vehicle owners to present proof that they have a parking space will help ease traffic congestion in the country, according to Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian.

The senator said the Senate has started ironing out details of Senate Bill (SB) 201 or the Proof-of-Parking Space Act.

“If you buy cars, you have to make sure that you have a parking space for your own vehicle,” Gatchalian said during a recent public hearing of SB 201.

According to the Land Transportation Office (LTO), the number of registered motor vehicles from 2015 until 2017 had reached 10,410,814.

There are an estimated new 1,000 registrants each day, 600 of whom are owners of newly-purchased vehicles.

Gatchalian said the Senate Committee on Trade, Commerce and Entrepreneurship has formed a technical working group to study SB 201 “after the bill received full support from different civil society and government representatives.”

He added that the proposed measure, which he authored, is “quite relevant at this time, since this will instill a culture of responsible vehicle ownership among Filipinos.”

22 minutes ago, Bama said:

Seems like that I have read that Japan requires proof of parking before you can buy a car.Not sure how effective this program is though.

https://www.manilatimes.net/bill-requires-car-buyers-to-show-proof-of-parking-space/452317/

Bill requires car buyers to show proof of parking space

From what I've seen in Cebu city - It's not the parking at the residence that's the major problem - it's when you're not at your residence - in town, other than at a mall

Went to Colon Unitop yesterday -  cars in queue out into street to get into Metro lot on Osemna - last one as a very distinctive huge SUV (had a lift in back for spare tires) - 20 min later came out - still in line -  moved 2 cars?

I can see it now multiple proofs for one space

saturday was MIL birthday. there are 3 spaces here there was over 12 cars dotted around. No good for proof of space!!

streak03

Just another law that will be ignored and not enforced..really sometimes I wonder why they even bother making laws lol

Edited by streak03
  • Like 2
SkyMan
19 minutes ago, streak03 said:

Just another law that will be ignored and not enforced..really sometimes I wonder why they even bother making laws lol

This is how they prove they solved problems.

I can probably park 100 cars on my property.  I wonder how much I make renting out the proof of parking.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

This is how they prove they solved problems.

I can probably park 100 cars on my property.  I wonder how much I make renting out the proof of parking.

Make it a law and they will circumvent it. :tongue_01:

4 hours ago, Bama said:

Well yeah - in Japan they are ultra-strict. The purchase and registration process (and ongoing car roadworthy checks) are several, costly steps - none of which would be accepted here.

Before the car is registered a police officer must inspect the parking place - unless it is a Kei car (one reason they are so popular). Those are micro cars and vans (ala Multicab if it is under 660cc)

I had one in AU - it would die on these roads and a Ceres or SUV would run it over and not notice...

A pity really - because they are fit-for-purpose for high-traffic, slow moving and high-density cities (the vans more so).

image.png.6a39bbfd5426a6032430322ad9cca24c.png

Headshot

This bill has been submitted to Congress a few times before, but it has never gone anywhere, probably because it would likely negatively affect some of those in Congress. It won't likely go anywhere this time either.