Cgu

Is Cebu Getting Safer?!

Cgu

It seems Cebu is getting safer...depending on which way you look at it. Certainly DU30 policy cannot been overseen. And it is certainly not only Cebu City, but expanding to the whole Island.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1768692/Cebu/Local-News/132-days-180-dead-in-Cebu?rss=1

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1767689

• Thanks 1

Bama

Wow. I certainly don't get that impression that Cebu is getting safer from the articles you cited.

180 people killed in 132 days---16 dead in 17 hours ???

Chicago Tribune reports that there have been 419 killed in Chi Town since Jan 1---10 months.    (41 per month)

Cebu has had 180 killed in a little over 4 months.  (45 per month)

The numbers suggests to me that its now safer to live in the Windy City than Cebu.Cebu province has a population of 2.3M vs Chi Town 2.7M so there is a little disparity of population argument to be made here but not much.

Might to be time for some to reevaluate where they choose to live in the PI.Bet some on this board moved overseas to get away from this type of mess in the US or elsewhere.

• Like 1

Cgu
10 minutes ago, Bama said:

Wow. I certainly don't get that impression that Cebu is getting safer from the articles you cited.

180 people killed in 132 days---16 dead in 17 hours ???

Chicago Tribune reports that there have been 419 killed in Chi Town since Jan 1---10 months.    (41 per month)

Cebu has had 180 killed in a little over 4 months.  (45 per month)

The numbers suggests to me that its now safer to live in the Windy City than Cebu.Cebu province has a population of 2.3M vs Chi Town 2.7M so there is a little disparity of population argument to be made here but not much.

Might to be time for some to reevaluate where they choose to live in the PI.Bet some on this board moved overseas to get away from this type of mess in the US or elsewhere.

Well I see your point. There might be others who sees it differently.  Some might say it gets safer, because the criminals are getting killed (drug dealers etc.), so less criminality due to less drug dealings/activities.

I see it differently - not to your extreme, but also worrisome - I do not see any drop in crime rates (the view is to you can kill anyone unpunished under the cover of "drug related killings" -  when considering even priest get killed)

Woolf
Kabisay-an gid

Yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

:lazy:

Virtually all are drug-related killings, family problems, personal disputes between aquaintances, and the usual political killings that have been going on for ages.

Don't engage in illegal activities; don't get involved in politics or political discussions; avoid heated arguments and raising your voice in anger; don't ridicule or laugh at people; don't flash cash or wear expensive watches and jewelry; don't wander around on foot at night; don't use ATMs after dark; don't carry large amounts of cash; don't keep large amounts of cash or excessive valuables in your house; use common sense and reasonable precautions (such as be aware of your surroundings) when out and about in public; etcetera.

Follow the above advice and you should stay safe and sound in Cebu, and just about anywhere else in the Philippines for that matter.

As for me, I can't wait to get back to Cebu next year!

America-what-me-worry-alfred_e_neuman.jp

• Like 1

Cgu
4 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Don't engage in illegal activities; don't get involved in politics or political discussions; avoid heated arguments and raising your voice in anger; don't ridicule or laugh at people; don't flash cash or wear expensive watches and jewelry; don't wander around on foot at night; don't use ATMs after dark; don't carry large amounts of cash; don't keep large amounts of cash or excessive valuables in your house; use common sense and reasonable precautions (such as be aware of your surroundings) when out and about in public; etcetera.

Sounds like a travel advice for any 3rd world country:) - will sure help that you are not involved.

However, in my opinion violent criminality is really on the rise, as it seems the threshold to commit certain crimes is becoming lower.

A lot of these killings are during the day and as well being killed in the car. Also, they are targeted, so even if you do observe your travel advise, it will not help. It depends on their motive. They will know if you have money somewhere (most people living here will of course keep in the bank....international bank are the better option, local banks hmmmm...easier that the information is "spilled" in the open if someone really wants to know).

Kabisay-an gid
30 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I've lived in my current house in the USA since 1994. Since then, a guy was shot and killed in a standoff with police in a house within shouting distance of mine; a guy living right up the street was shot at from a car while standing in his front yard; a guy living maybe 6 or 7 houses away from mine got busted for selling drugs right from his house.

I didn't piss my pants. I still live here. I have absolutely no fear of leaving the house, walking around the neighborhood, etcetera. Life goes on.

• Like 1

Cgu
16 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I've lived in my current house in the USA since 1994.

Well, if you want to compare that,  fine (2 guys and one arrested in nearly 25 years).

For me it really feels "different" here, since the DU30 policies are implemented. I have no fear, but worried about the development. Killing of cops seem to be on the rise.

What we do not know for sure, if these cops are involved in something illegal, like some people claim, or they are fighting something illegal, like other people claim. So depending in which directions it goes, it might get more "mafia" like.

Kabisay-an gid
34 minutes ago, Cgu said:

However, in my opinion violent criminality is really on the rise, as it seems the threshold to commit certain crimes is becoming lower.

Unfortunately, your dubious opinion isn't supported by hard statistics and reality:

Entire Article: 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/191747-philippines-crime-statistics-2017-all-crimes-drop-except-homicide-pnp-yearend-2017

The volume of crimes in the Philippines has dropped in 2017, data from the Philippine National Police (PNP) show.

According to numbers acquired by Rappler from the PNP's Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management (DIDM), there was a total of 100,668 index crimes recorded from January to November 2017.

It represents a 21.8% drop from the period in 2016, where they recorded 128,730 index crime incidents.

The December crime data is set to be released in mid-January 2018.

Index crimes are offenses against persons and against property that are recognized nationwide and used by the PNP to assess public safety.

Non-index crimes refer to violations of special laws and ordinances. Because the counts vary as one crosses local government territories, the PNP does not use them as a gauge of public safety.

PNP spokesperson Chief Superintendent Dionardo Carlos said the numbers show that the country has become a "safer" place in 2017.

"If we would look at the crime environment as the basis, then 2017 is safer for Filipinos or anybody here in the Philippines," Carlos told Rappler in an interview.

Against persons

Murders fell by 20.6%, with 8,239 murders tallied between January and November 2017 from 10,384 recorded in 2016 in the same time period.

Cgu
3 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Unfortunately, your dubious opinion isn't supported by hard statistics and reality:

Thats google (and some the news you googled). I live here (well 6 months on/off due to my work) and that s the feeling I get and the feeling at the workplace. 

Having said, that I have no fear. I never in the 20years+ encountered any violent crimes against expats working here. I know some and also have read that some violence against people retired here or running "small" businesses have been committed. Mostly, business and love related crimes.

Salty Dog
2 minutes ago, Cgu said:

I never in the 20years+ encountered any violent crimes against expats working here.

So you've never drank with an LinC member...:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kabisay-an gid
1 minute ago, Cgu said:

Thats google (and some the news you googled). I live here (well 6 months on/off due to my work) and that s the feeling I get and the feeling at the workplace. 

Having said, that I have no fear. I never in the 20years+ encountered any violent crimes against expats working here. I know some and also have read that some violence against people retired here or running "small" businesses have been committed. Mostly, business and love related crimes.

Actually, those were official Philippine National Police statistics I posted, from a mainstream and respected news media source - Rappler - which by the way has been critical of Duterte on numerous occasions, so cannot be accused of "fudging the figures".

Other reliable mainstream media sources, some of which are steadfastly opposed to Duterte, are reporting the same thing Rappler is.

Violent crime is going DOWN in the Philippines, so your FEELINGS on the matter are largely irrelevant.

Cgu
28 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

So you've never drank with an LinC member...:P

No..I must do that. Well I a joined LinC only upon I bought a house here in Cebu in 2013 (I work mostly in Manila when I am here and come down for the weekends and my holidays). At the time I was mostly interested in "alternative energy" here and had some exchanges with Paul (only on LinC), as he was into this "stuff" as well and some other members...but I think at the time he was already in Cambodia? Not sure.

Cgu
48 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

nfortunately, your dubious opinion isn't supported by hard statistics and reality:

Ok. Your statistic is quite right - Region 7 - even if population is only 7% of the country  is second in crime rates - so it should feel safer? Anyway, if you insist in statistics here ( I agree rappler is good news outlet - some reporters there go threats since they said something against DU30):

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/210503-understanding-pnp-crime-statistics

soupeod
4 hours ago, Cgu said:

It seems Cebu is getting safer...depending on which way you look at it. Certainly DU30 policy cannot been overseen. And it is certainly not only Cebu City, but expanding to the whole Island.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1768692/Cebu/Local-News/132-days-180-dead-in-Cebu?rss=1

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1767689

Was Cebu ever safe?