Ford Ranger Lift Advice

Davaoeno

LED lights, steel bumpers, large tires, roof racks, auxiliary lights & window tint when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

ROBBY CONSUNJI·WEDNESDAY, 10 OCTOBER 2018

There is simply no law or administrative issuance with a technical standard to determine acceptable vehicle modifications.

The DOTC, LTFRB and the LTO have issued the Joint Administrative Order No. 2014 -01 which punishes, among others, the following: -- a) the failure to attach or improper attachment / tampering of authorized motor vehicle license plates, including the attachment of any unauthorized plate/s or any accessory or device to and/or around the authorized motor vehicle license plate, or any manner of attachment that impedes in any way the visibility or reflectivity of the authorized motor vehicle license plate; b) driving an unregistered motor vehicle, including driving a motor vehicle with unregistered or fake substitute or replacement engine, engine block or chassis; c) unauthorized modification motor vehicle, including a change in color and other unauthorized modifications of the standard manufacturer's specification not covered by the preceding section b.; and, d) operating a motor vehicle without or with defective / improper / unauthorized accessories, including horns, sirens, whistles, blinkers, brakes, early warning device (EWD), brake (foot and hand brakes), brake lights, headlights, interior lights, signal lights, tail lights, mufflers, spare tire, or any other accessory, device, equipment or part that is manifestly prejudicial to road safety.

But, JAO 2014-01 does not give a technical standard for modifications or "prejudicial to road safety".

The key LTO regulation containing compliance standards is LTO Admin Order no. ACL-2009-018 on the Motor Vehicle Inspection System (MVIS). However, the LTO has not started the MVIS -- an annual inspection of the vehicle as a precondition for the annual registration. It will interest you guys that this Admin Order has the standards for luminosity and alignment of our headlights and auxiliary lights. The objections to the LTO / HPG campaign against "modifications" are similar to the objections to the LTO's LED lights campaign in 2016. See this article on the matter (it needs updating for the LTO Memorandum on motorcycles).

https://www.topgear.com.ph/news/motoring-news/why-lto-drive-against-led-lights-is-unconstitutional-a50-20160216

What is the declared purpose of the campaign by HPG? Is it really road safety? The fact is there are many other old vehicles which are prejudicial to road safety, but the LTO / HPG are not enforcing safety standards against these old vehicles, buses, jeepneys, trucks, assembled AUVs, tricycles, etc.

The Land Transportation and Traffic Code took effect 50 years ago in 1964. The Code authorizes the LTO to issue regulations to “prescribe the minimum standards and specifications including allowable gross weight, allowable length, width and height or motor vehicles, distribution of loads, allowable loads on tires, change of tire sizes, body design or carrying capacity subsequent to registration and all other special cases which may arise for which no specific provision is otherwise made in this Act.”

While the foregoing power of the LTO speaks of “special cases” for which no provision is made, the power must also contain the minimum standard which the regulations are designed to enforce. It seems that the Code intended to regulate the conversion of the wooden horse cart to the “auto-calesa”, the trucks to “passenger truck” or auto-bus, the pedicab to a tricycle, and the jeep into a public utility jeepney. The Code is silent on the minimum standards for the special vehicles used by businesses today, such as the ambulance, armored car, hearse, tow trucks, luxury coaches, taxi cabs, mini-bus, street-legal cars, kuliglig and the like.

From the history of transportation, it is not certain whether the LTO today has the power to promulgate regulations over “all other modifications”. In short, the Joint Administrative Order No. 2014 -01 does not contain enough standards to be enforced as a basis to impose a fine. The PNP-HPG does not have the power to set standard for modifications.

The enforcement drives are seasonal and arbitrary.

The confusion at street level is an opportunity for corruption. The boy who gets a ticket will rather surrender the item (like LED Lights) than file a protest and/or a case for the violation the constitutional rights.

Not many will want to file a case for violation of constitutional rights due to fear of retaliation from government.

What to do?

Craft a technical statement of the problem. What mods are apprehended? How many are affected?

The Philippines does NOT have the standards, the technicians, and the test facilities to regulate modifications.

When the off roaders touch Philippine regulations on Vehicle Modifications it will include ALL KINDS OF VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS including the AUV, jeepneys, owner jeeps, buses, trucks, trailers, tricycles, cars, etc.

Propose a solution like – self-regulation; and, adopt internationally accepted best practices.

Meet the authorities for a dialogue. Consider their view and objectives. Do a joint resolution to solve the problem. If not successful, try a social media campaign.

In short, LTO / HPG can enforce only LTO Adm Order no. ACL-2009-018 on the Motor Vehicle Inspection System (MVIS). Everything else for motor vehicles is not prohibited and at the most regulated by the standards of care and negligence of the Civil Code. As the zealots say ... “I'll give you my LED lights, steel bumpers, large tires, roof racks, auxiliary lights, and window tint when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Davaoeno

• Soupeod

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i would explore that and give it a shot without the suspension-altering lift.  raising the vehicle via wheel and tire combos still maintains the proper factory pinion angle which is important but ofte

LED lights, steel bumpers, large tires, roof racks, auxiliary lights & window tint when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. ROBBY CONSUNJI·WEDNESDAY, 10 OCTOBER 2018 There is simply no

Insane. Half the vehicles I see in any given day are illegal.

Posted Images

SkyMan
9 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

steel bumpers

I guess this applies to the big bull bars with winches, etc. on the front.  My truck came without a rear bumper and I'm building one, yes, steel.  I don't care if they don't like it.

SkyMan

So this is ok because it's stock....

image.thumb.png.bcaa6007be467af6e79520f13617d667.png

But if you bought the regular model and turned it into a Raptor you'd be wrong.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz
38 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

So this is ok because it's stock

it may be stock but i'm not so sure about ok.   to me it looks like something that comes in a box that says "batteries not included".

• Haha 2
SkyMan
1 hour ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

it may be stock but i'm not so sure about ok.   to me it looks like something that comes in a box that says "batteries not included".

You'd have to ask @hilyfe about that.

• Haha 1
cookie47

@skyman.
Good morning. See link below.
Just arrived in my inbox, arrives fortnightly.
Article on current lift practices and recent police campaign in Queensland.
Yes i know were in PH but i thought you and others would be interested..

patcallinanmediapty.patcallinanmedia.com.au/social/02a32ad2669e6fe298e607fe7cc0e1a0.989

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
SkyMan
5 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Thanks but I'm really not looking for wider tires and the wheels tires will probably be later anyway.  And also I can't say there's much more I dislike on a vehicle than black rims.

cookie47

Hi, I've been following this thread and question and decided to "offer" the following.
The rear which you describe as axle OVER spring can be raised by swapping out the rear springs with springs that are spring shop set with the amount of raise that you are looking for, they should also come with higher carrying capacity which MAY "harshen the ride when empty." life's a compromise ".Remember to consider brake hoses and other piping which" generally "can cope with gentle raising..

You MAY need to realign with a spacer the centre bearing mount(i assume its got a spit shaft) but that depends on the final raised height otherwise heavy acceleration vibration" could"happen.
Another inch can easily be found with slightly raised shackles (one inch legal in most Aussie states)) AND I MEAN SLIGHTLY not crazy.There are some very nice after market shackles available in Aus (not saying in PH though).
Both these changes will give you two inches at the rear. A spring over conversion is possible but in my opinion more problematic although you could have a spring over conversion and then "remove a leaf" to bring you back to what height you want. Not a preferred option IMHO.

I assume that the front is spring over shock looking at the picture, although some early rangers did have Torsion bar suspension.(which you were able to wind up "a little bit"

Front is easy (spring over shock) and i don't think interferes with other components. Some highly raised vehicles end up with bump steer and skitchy handling.. Which is a backward step.

Now In my mature years I'm now a "leave it alone person" , but haven't lost the ability to appreciate a sexy good looking 4wd.....

Only ideas..... Never owned a Ranger but have been around "vehicles" most of my working life.

talking to owners who have done it is often the best....

The legal side of this in PH has been covered very well by others. I'm out of it....

• Like 1
shadow
47 minutes ago, fivestarph said:

Insane. Half the vehicles I see in any given day are illegal.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 3
cookie47
I have now,

Interesting thanks.

However i cant see the manufacturer getting involved in supplying certificates to modified vehicles, yes they might supply a certificate for an "off road" vehicle that THEY have introduced to the market, but issuing a certificate for

"Joes Tire shop suspension mods"

seems unlikely.Well that's the way i read it... Correct me if I'm wrong..
Time will tell
This DOT crackdown is somewhat similar to the one happening now in Queensland Aus. Yes there are some modifications done inappropriately by the wrong people that may well compromise safety. But in my experience the genuine 4wd enthusiast and club member goes to great lengths to ensure that his/her vehicle is safe as in most cases the vehicle is there pride and and Joy,(I'm relating to Australia)..

• Like 1
SkyMan

There's no way any manufacturer is going to issue a certificate of road worthiness and take responsibility for anything they didn't manufacture/test themselves. However, Dong's jeep shop would have no problem issuing such a cert for whatever carp they cobble together because who's going to sue them? And sadly, those are used for public transport. 

• Like 1
fivestarph