Ford Ranger Lift Advice

SkyMan

I know lifts are normally done on 4X4s but I'd like to lift my Ranger 4X2 for bigger wheels, tires (not wider).  I've searched for lift kits (Mostly from Australia) and I'm looking for best way considering cost and safety.  The cheaper kits tend to have strut extensions and blocks for the leaf springs.  The problem there is that my leafs are under axle.  So blocks would actually lower the rear end.  I'm looking at doing a leaf over conversion (which I did on my multicab) but I measure that as being about a 5.75 inch lift in the rear which might be too much unless I can compensate in the front.  The tallest strut extensions I can find are 40mm which seams to be an Australian legal limit.  Anyone have any ideas on this?  I know there are some 4X4 enthusiasts out there that have done this kind of thing before.  Thanks.

PS  I know longer shackles would also be an option.  I'm not sure if I want to go that route though since you only get half the lift for the given shackle length.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Davaoeno

• Soupeod

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i would explore that and give it a shot without the suspension-altering lift.  raising the vehicle via wheel and tire combos still maintains the proper factory pinion angle which is important but ofte

LED lights, steel bumpers, large tires, roof racks, auxiliary lights & window tint when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. ROBBY CONSUNJI·WEDNESDAY, 10 OCTOBER 2018 There is simply no

Insane. Half the vehicles I see in any given day are illegal.

Posted Images

Davaoeno

Maybe what I am about to say does not apply - I'm just throwing it out there.  I drive a Montero 4x4 suv.  The car came with 17 inch wheels . I replaced them with 20 inch wheels and bigger tires.   I made no changes to the suspension - I only replaced the wheels and tires. That was almost 2 years ago and I have had no problems .

IMG_4640.JPG

Edited by Davaoeno
wrong tire size quoted. It came with 17inch wheels .
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan

I could probably do that without the lift.  That's a 2.5 inch plus whatever increase from the height increase from the sidewall.  I've looked and there appears to be clearance for that.  I'd kind of like to do both the wheels/tires and the lift.

Soupeod
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I know lifts are normally done on 4X4s but I'd like to lift my Ranger 4X2 for bigger wheels, tires (not wider).  I've searched for lift kits (Mostly from Australia) and I'm looking for best way considering cost and safety.  The cheaper kits tend to have strut extensions and blocks for the leaf springs.  The problem there is that my leafs are under axle.  So blocks would actually lower the rear end.  I'm looking at doing a leaf over conversion (which I did on my multicab) but I measure that as being about a 5.75 inch lift in the rear which might be too much unless I can compensate in the front.  The tallest strut extensions I can find are 40mm which seams to be an Australian legal limit.  Anyone have any ideas on this?  I know there are some 4X4 enthusiasts out there that have done this kind of thing before.  Thanks.

PS  I know longer shackles would also be an option.  I'm not sure if I want to go that route though since you only get half the lift for the given shackle length.

Tomas 4x4 in Ormoc specializes in this. You could call them.  Was there yesterday, a lot of lifted Fords, Toyotas and Jimmys. 

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I could probably do that without the lift.  That's a 2.5 inch plus whatever increase from the height increase from the sidewall.  I've looked and there appears to be clearance for that.

i would explore that and give it a shot without the suspension-altering lift.  raising the vehicle via wheel and tire combos still maintains the proper factory pinion angle which is important but often overlooked.  also bear in mind the higher you go without widening the track width the more unstable the vehicle becomes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
smokey

Roadstar is good just picked up my car today fast and fair

• Like 1
Davaoeno
41 minutes ago, smokey said:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2
SkyMan
4 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

raising the vehicle via wheel and tire combos still maintains the proper factory pinion angle which is important but often overlooked.

True but I think that would be more applicable in the US with US speeds and high number of miles per year.  I've had it over a year and it has just over 6K Kms and I drove it down from Manila after I bought it.  The pinion may wear out faster but the truck will probably rust to dust before then.

4 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

also bear in mind the higher you go without widening the track width the more unstable the vehicle becomes. 

Also true but I'm not a 4X4 enthusiast so I don't think it's a problem as long as I stay within reason.  

2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Nice but I do like to hear my stereo.

SkyMan
3 hours ago, smokey said:

I may stop and see them.  Did you do any mods or just routine maintenance?

Edited by SkyMan
Goetz1965
13 hours ago, smokey said:

If you use Roadstar you always have to note down your odometer reading BEFORE you hand out the keys - and check how much miles they used your car for visiting the family in the province with it !
Also check how much gasoline is in your tank BEFORE you give your car to them.

I never will use Roadstar again as they scammed me 3 times that way !

SkyMan
35 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

If you use Roadstar you always have to note down your odometer reading BEFORE you hand out the keys - and check how much miles they used your car for visiting the family in the province with it !
Also check how much gasoline is in your tank BEFORE you give your car to them.

I never will use Roadstar again as they scammed me 3 times that way !

I pretty much stay with my car to watch the work.  If I do leave my car I bring it with very little in the tank.  The exception will be when it goes to Ford for a few days in 2 weeks but I'm pretty sure Ford won't be loaning out my truck to employees.  

10 hours ago, cogon88 said:

This is on facebook about the LTO crack down 

That's something to think about but I'm not doing anything wild like those pictured above.  Like with Ian's SUV, you would not look and it and say, oh he's got bigger wheels on there, bust him.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

James DeakinLike Page

11 October at 11:16 · 

So I was at a 4x4 accessory shop yesterday getting some floor mats fitted to my Trailblazer. In the short time I was there, 4 separate customers came in and asked about suspension upgrades, mags, roof racks and lights. All four walked out without committing because nobody could answer their concern as to whether or not they would get fined for installing these accessories on their vehicles.

The shop was in a very difficult bind because while they know they are selling perfectly legal products from the world’s most trusted brands, they could not in good conscience guarantee that their customers would drive out of their shop and not be harassed by LTO enforcers who have been reportedly apprehending people for “illegal modifications”, like changing of mag wheels and tires, installing steel bumpers and suspension upgrades under a joint administration order from 2014.

I’ve reached out to the LTO to clarify this but as accommodating as the people have been, the only real response I’ve gotten is that motorists can contest these ‘violations’ at their law enforcement service department at their head office. But that’s not the point. The point here is that—aside from the harassment and unnecessary hassle—people need clarity, businesses need predictability and consistency, and we all need a reasonable explanation as to what exactly causes any of these internationally accepted upgrades to be “prejudicial to road safety”

According to Land Rover club’s Atty Robby Consunji, who published a note recently about this, “There is simply no law or administrative issuance with a technical standard to determine acceptable vehicle modifications.” In layman’s terms, the LTO have no idea what they’re doing here.

Don’t get me wrong, I get the need to police modifications, like those stupid flashing brake lights, strobes, sirens or blinkers. But please don’t let everyone pay for the stupidity and arrogance of a few. If these modifications being sold are approved by vehicle manufacturers, who spend billions in R&D, approved by the DTI to be sold here in the country, surely that should be enough for the LTO.

Cmon, guys. I know that the recreational 4x4 market is an EASY TARGET, but stop with the low hanging fruit already. Masyadong obvious na. Every single jeepney in the country has a steel bumper and non OEM Equipment installed. If you’re really serious about road safety, start there. Sige nga...we dare you.

• Thanks 2