Conde Nast Names Surfer’s Paradise Siargao As Best Island In Asia

http://philippineslifestyle.com/siargao-surfing-best-island-asia/

Conde Nast names surfer’s paradise Siargao as best island in Asia

A clear, calm sea away from the surfing breaks on Siargao. Picture via Wikimedia Commons.

Renowned surfing destination Siargao has been named as the best island in Asia by an international travel magazine. 

Conde Nast Traveler’s Top Five in Asia is dominated by the Philippines, with Boracay taking the number two spot and Palawan coming in third. The other two slots are filled by Langkawi in Malaysia and Bali.

The magazine describes the island as “teardrop-shaped” and says it is “home to more than 15 separate surf breaks, including the legendary Cloud 9″.Describing the island, the magazine says: “This itty-bitty island… is as close to a tropical idyll as you’ll find in Southeast Asia, with gentle coastlines and made-for-Instagram sunsets. Fold in a thriving nightlife scene, and you have one of the top tourist spots in the region.”

siargo.thumb.png.d286d9aadb2c5bbbc5b8310df7454a76.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
BossHog

It really is the best island in Asia. and i say this as someone who spent his twenties and thirties traveling Asia extensively and lived on a lot of the hot islands.

Wasn't ever planning on settling permanently anywhere in the region but fell in love with Siargao at first glimpse. Been here eighteen years now, lots of development in the past few years but it's still a jaw-dropping beautiful place.

And it's fun. Fun is important. lot's of interesting stuff happening here. Sailing, surfing, diving, trekking, fishing.

Nearly every tourist who visits wants to relocate and live here but the land prices have sky-rocketed. Glad I got in early!

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 8
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

And it's fun. Fun is important. lot's of interesting stuff happening here. Sailing, surfing, diving, trekking, fishing.

I find it also one of the top places. Easy to go around (just rent a scooter and go around the island), fund and very friendly. I can recommend Island Cabana Cloud 9 for staying (no association...). Of course take surfing lesson (and kitesurfing - great), go to the lagoon and fishing!!! Great fishing!!

2 hours ago, BossHog said:

Nearly every tourist who visits wants to relocate and live here but the land prices have sky-rocketed. Glad I got in early!

I can imagine!!! 

One sure way to ruin someplace is to make it popular!  

• Haha 1
Soupeod
1 hour ago, RangerUp said:

How's the internet?

Any current condo developments?

Your joking right? hahaha

BossHog
5 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Nope, actually looking for info on internet and real estate.

1. Internet depends on location. I get 30 Mbps at my joint. Some places have no connection.

2. Real estate:  Maui would be cheaper. 

53 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Real estate:  Maui would be cheaper. 

Wow. I never was actually aware of the prices in Siargao, but I just did a quick browse on the "usual suspects" website listings and was very surprised!! The prices are comparable with prime locations in high end subdivisions in Cebu City. Going rates are between 15k- 30k /sqm (and even 50k for commercial lots). Very interesting....If course that was a high level search, but it gives you a feeling for it....I think it has still upside potential.

TequilaSunset
Please tell me how/where I can vacation in Siargao and get 30 Mbps.

Boss's place!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
I thought you were joking, I see now he does have a place but looks like food service only.
I've been to Sairgao and visited a few cool bars with a few cool blokes.

The Famous Bollox Bar and Greg's Place Pizza & Beer are the best of the best. And neither advertise but they both have accommodations available.

Internet at Greg's Place was lightning fast.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
jtmwatchbiz
2 hours ago, Enuff said:

I've been to Sairgao and visited a few cool bars with a few cool blokes.

The Famous Bollox Bar and Greg's Place Pizza & Beer are the best of the best. And neither advertise but they both have accommodations available.

Internet at Greg's Place was lightning fast.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

my wife and her entourage frequently go surfing on siargao and have been to greg's place and love it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
liquido

Just read an article in the Cebu Pacific magazine about Siargo...The article was talking about how there trying to control the debacle that Boracay had with the sewage,plasti,garbage problems..The article also said  that the resorts are getting most of the fish from the local market and that the locals are dealing with the shortage by eating canned fish...It also said 70% of the tourism are natives..The article did not say anything about land prices..Talk about land prices,Just got back from Bohol,land prices from there and Panglao have skyrocketed.....

5 hours ago, liquido said:

The article was talking about how there trying to control the debacle that Boracay had with the sewage,plasti,garbage problems..

What happend to Boracay is anyway a shame...but this is another discussion.

It is very difficult for the people to control the garbage, plastic in the sea. I noticed also here in Cebu at my property that during the Amihan we have a lot more garbage at the beach, while during habagat there is very little. So, at the end a lot is out of there control, even if they really take care of the garbage they produce and of course every tourist will produce garbage (I have no idea have they dispose of it, but I believe the only way is landfill - never saw how garbage was disposed differently here - with all the lobby going on)

But Siargao has a lot of going for it and hope it says this way. 

• Like 1