Kabisay-an gid

The Great Big LinC Cruise Thread

Kabisay-an gid

Post anything related to cruises, anywhere in the world. Doesn't matter what type - ocean, sea, lake, river, etcetera. It can be a 2-hour lake cruise on a boat that holds a dozen people, or a 4-month world cruise on a ship that holds thousands of people.

Let's try to stay away from nationalistic blather like "My country offers much better cruises than your country!"

A few useful sites with lots of cruise info:

YouTube

Facebook 

Wikipedia 

Cruise Critic (Lots of info, reviews, deals, and an excellent discussion forum where your questions can be answered)                 https://www.cruisecritic.com

TripAdvisor Cruises Forum (Excellent and very active discussion forum for your questions)                                         https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.html

CruisesOnly (America's largest cruise agency, offering lots of deals on cruises)                                                       https://www.cruisesonly.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enuff
Post anything related to cruises, anywhere in the world. Doesn't matter what type - ocean, sea, lake, river, etcetera. It can be a 2-hour lake cruise on a boat that holds a dozen people, or a 4-month world cruise on a ship that holds thousands of people.
Let's try to stay away from nationalistic blather like "My country offers much better cruises than your country!"
A few useful sites with lots of cruise info:
YouTube
Facebook 
Wikipedia 
Cruise Critic (Lots of info, reviews, deals, and an excellent discussion forum where your questions can be answered)                 https://www.cruisecritic.com
TripAdvisor Cruises Forum (Excellent and very active discussion forum for your questions)                                         https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.html
CruisesOnly (America's largest cruise agency, offering lots of deals on cruises)                                                       https://www.cruisesonly.com

My parents lived in Martinsburg WV and were planning a cruise from Baltimore on Royal Caribbean. I went ahead and started the booking but was waiting for my mother to verify her dates off of work. 2 days later RC called her to see if she wanted to continue with the booking. My mother told her the dates weren't confirmed yet and that the price of the outside balcony room was a bit high. After a little more conversation my mother agreed to be put on a standby list. Every couple weeks RC would call with a cruise leaving in a week or so with amazingly low rates. Depending on your area and schedule you can save a lot of money. These cruise salespeople are paid to fill boats, not turn profits. Once disembarking they know you will spend.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Kabisay-an gid

Ten tips for new cruisers:

Bama

Have been looking at doing a BB run from Manila via a cruise ship for quite some time.Seems like the destinations offered then were limited and/or were places that we had already been.

Not to dissuade anyone on this idea but a good friend in the US worked on cruise ships for a number of years.He had little good to say about them.Perhaps his opinion became a bit jaded over time.

Salty Dog

I'm currently on the final day of a 10 day Caribbean cruise to Bahamas, St Thomas, St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua and St Maarten. 

I'm typing this from my cabin on the ship using my smart phone via the ship's new high speed WiFi (600Mbps). 

This is my 13th cruise. Eleven of them on Princess Cruises. Two on Royal Caribbean. So far, every cruise has been to the Caribbean. Once my wife gets a US Passport, we plan to cruise to other locations. 

If anyone has questions about cruising, I'll try to answer them...

• Like 4

Kabisay-an gid
1 hour ago, Bama said:

Have been looking at doing a BB run from Manila via a cruise ship for quite some time.Seems like the destinations offered then were limited and/or were places that we had already been.

Not to dissuade anyone on this idea but a good friend in the US worked on cruise ships for a number of years.He had little good to say about them.Perhaps his opinion became a bit jaded over time.

Of course your friend has little good to say about cruises, he experienced them as an employee, not a customer.

For most cruise employees, pay and benefits are typically not good, work hours are long, and dealing with the enormous numbers of customers on many cruises can test the patience of even the easiest going employees.

However, go to the cruise discussion forums on major websites like Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor, and you'll find comments from countless thousands of customers who are huge fans of cruising.

Many people have been on numerous cruises, and are anxiously looking forward to their next one. It's a huge business that continues to grow worldwide, with hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1

Kabisay-an gid

How to Choose a Cruise Ship Cabin

RogerDuMond

Did a Caribbean and a Mediterranean cruise and enjoyed both. Two cruises that I would like to take. One is a repositioning cruise, either transatlantic or transpacific that give you a lot more time cruising and shorter times in the tourist trap ports. The other is: https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV190212A/summary

• Like 2

streak03

My wife and I did a five day cruise from Singapore on the Genting Dream last Feb.  We stopped in Port Klang, Penang, and Phuket.  It was a great experience and we plan on doing another on from Hong Kong this coming Feb, same company different ship.  Cost was 2500.00 USD for the both of us and that was for a balcony suite. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kabisay-an gid
4 hours ago, Bama said:

Have been looking at doing a BB run from Manila via a cruise ship for quite some time. Seems like the destinations offered then were limited and/or were places that we had already been.

Star Cruises 'Superstar Virgo' sails round trip from Manila to places like China, Vietnam, Malaysia, etcetera.

It's the only affordable cruise ship I know of that sails from Manila. 

Get one of their promo deals on an "inside cabin", and you can sail at a pretty reasonable price.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid

TimL

Hmmm... would taking a cruise to another country effect the current visa that I have now, ie. a 6 month extension?

GBT62

I have done 3 cruises around the Mediterranean - all were great - one was Royal Caribbean, two were MCS.

It was amazing to wake up in a different country each day, taking in the beer, coffee and food at each stop.

Just avoid the Italian cruise lines when it is school holidays .... and avoid any cruises stopping in north Africa (not sure they stop at any ports there any more anyway). Two cruises after mine the stop at Tunis was the one where the cruise line buses got hit by terrorsists. TBH Tunis felt like the start of a Jason Bourne movie - it felt creepy, full of SUVs with guns poking out and dark windows, slow donkey carts etc - was happy to get out of there.

As for Asian cruises (well any cruises really) get travel insurance same time you book the cruise, not later.

My first attempt at a cruise on Star Cruises out of SG - they later sold the liner to another company and cancelled the cruises - refunds were required for flights and other hotels etc.

My second attempt was out of Shang Hai - to Korea and Japan. 3 months before departure they cancelled the 7 day cruise and turned it into 2 x 3 day cruises of 3 days each - with only ONE port...... to satisfy the Chinese gambling customers who just wanted a short gambling cruise to anywhere .....

All claimed on travel insurance again .....

• Like 2

TequilaSunset

Been on 8, from a 4 day debauchery party cruise that was crazy, to joining my parents on one to where I was born, a big group of friends 7 day trip, and a few with a wife and GF's. Caribbean, Mexico from the gulf and Pacific, and Bermuda. All fun...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Soupeod
10 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I'm currently on the final day of a 10 day Caribbean cruise to Bahamas, St Thomas, St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua and St Maarten. 

I'm typing this from my cabin on the ship using my smart phone via the ship's new high speed WiFi (600Mbps). 

This is my 13th cruise. Eleven of them on Princess Cruises. Two on Royal Caribbean. So far, every cruise has been to the Caribbean. Once my wife gets a US Passport, we plan to cruise to other locations. 

If anyone has questions about cruising, I'll try to answer them...

Im jeolous!  And thanks for the topic.

• Like 1

Kabisay-an gid
59 minutes ago, soupeod said:

And thanks for the topic.

You're welcome!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1