Sign in to follow this  
wondersailor

Best All Around Motorcycle In The Philippines Today

PhilsFan
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

Gravel is a bitch on a bike no matter what kind of tires you have.

@PhilsFan suggested the Bajaj Dominar. It is mostly street with some adventure bike steroids injected into it. Fuel injected, 6 speed, ABS, Slipper Clutch, triple spark. I believe it's actually a Kawasaki engine, 379cc. They call it a 400 so you could legally get on the highways here. About 146,000 pesos.

Dominar came out about a year and a half ago and had some issues, one of them being heavy vibration at 5000 RPM and higher but these issues have been cured with the new releases at the factory. The problem is, the new bikes are going to the Indian market while the Philippines seems to suck hind tit again and Bajaj dumps the old model on us. The way to tell the difference, (from my research), is that the older bikes have a gold colored engine and the new improved bikes are black engine.

As you can see I've been researching this bike as it is a great hybrid for the Philippines especially if you are larger than most Filipinos. It's powerful, comfortable and loaded with features and can easily take on rough roads/dirt. 

The stock tires are definitely street but you could replace them with something a little chunkier and more aggressive down the road.

Motortrade online will give you price specs and can sell/maintain the Dominar. I'm sure you have a Motortrade in Davao

If it was me...I would muscle through the gravel and rough road on a UM Renegade Commando. You have a dealership in Davao. This bike is assembled in China and is "officially" a US company. The main office is in Miami but the bikes are not street legal in the US. I't a bare bones, cruiser that is super comfy. While being a little heavy for your gravely road it is tall and has good ground clearance. 

That being said UM has a tremendous lineup and is worth you looking at if they have their showroom set up. They are new in Davao and have several crossover bikes that may suit your needs.

The vibration on the old Dominars's is a simple 10-minute computer update. They are supposed to ship with the new update. 

• Like 1

PhilsFan
6 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Enlighten me please, I am only used to riding sport bikes in the US. Is the main difference between street bikes and dual sport in the suspension and tires? Are dual sport tires available in the Philippines ?

The Dominar is a street bike, but fine for dirt roads with mild knobby tires. The Kawasaki Versys 300 is all set- out of the box and will be stone-cold reliable and silky smooth. It's in a class of bikes called "adventure bike" Its the best all-around bike for the money...if you have 5600 USD in your budget. If you ride one here, you will want one...fair warning.

A Dual-Sport bike will not work as well on the street. Think Honda 200 cc dirt bike. Louder/lighter/less range/ not as good on the street. less comfortable. The Honda XRL 150 is currently available dual-sport here. 100K pesos or less. Check MotorTrade website.

Edited by PhilsFan
  • Like 1

lolhahaha

I bought a Honda XR150 a few months ago. It's the perfect cheap onroad offroad bike for the Philippines for around 87k pesos cash. The tires are more street than a real dual sport but they are still better dirt tires than anything else for under 150k except the Yamaha 125 dual sport. I've taken it down every dirt/mud/underwaterlake road in the area and even riding  in 3ft of water it doesn't stall and runs perfectly fine. It's going to get wet, it's going to get dirty, it's the Philippines so I would have felt stupid buying one of those 200-300k peso bikes here. But we do live in the province not the city so it may be different.

If I was doing it again though I would get the Yamaha instead for one reason, the tires are 21/19 vs 19/17 for the Honda. I blew off the recommendation because I wanted at least a 150 but in reality the Yamaha is about 10+ kilos lighter and has the same or more HP than the Honda and costs less than 80k pesos. It's green and the honda is red. The Yamaha sits about an inch higher on the seat. Pretty similar. The reason the tire size matters is that you can get tires easily for the Yamaha but almost no other bike uses the 19 or the 17 that the Honda requires unless you want to try those really narrow tires. If you never expect to change tires then it really doesn't matter but I want real dirt/mud tires and they are impossible to find.

• Like 3

wondersailor
5 hours ago, lolhahaha said:

I bought a Honda XR150 a few months ago. It's the perfect cheap onroad offroad bike for the Philippines for around 87k pesos cash. The tires are more street than a real dual sport but they are still better dirt tires than anything else for under 150k except the Yamaha 125 dual sport. I've taken it down every dirt/mud/underwaterlake road in the area and even riding  in 3ft of water it doesn't stall and runs perfectly fine. It's going to get wet, it's going to get dirty, it's the Philippines so I would have felt stupid buying one of those 200-300k peso bikes here. But we do live in the province not the city so it may be different.

If I was doing it again though I would get the Yamaha instead for one reason, the tires are 21/19 vs 19/17 for the Honda. I blew off the recommendation because I wanted at least a 150 but in reality the Yamaha is about 10+ kilos lighter and has the same or more HP than the Honda and costs less than 80k pesos. It's green and the honda is red. The Yamaha sits about an inch higher on the seat. Pretty similar. The reason the tire size matters is that you can get tires easily for the Yamaha but almost no other bike uses the 19 or the 17 that the Honda requires unless you want to try those really narrow tires. If you never expect to change tires then it really doesn't matter but I want real dirt/mud tires and they are impossible to find.

I am seriously looking at these two bikes but I will be riding prehap 95/5 to 92/8 highway and city to dirt and rock road. From what i gather, on the road top speed is 80 mph honda,. 50 mph yamaha. Is that about accurate?

PhilsFan
On 10/4/2018 at 2:05 PM, wondersailor said:

$2,000-$3,000, not looking to impress (or have it stolen). I live in Digos City, southwest of Davao, approximately 180,000 pop. Mostly driving in town which can be heavy traffic driving . Outside of town there are gaps in paved roads filled with dirt and gravel, somewhat loose, not something I want to attempt with street tires in heavy traffic. I have had unpleasant experiences with that. I know I am trying to find a do everything bike. Compromises will have to be made I' m sure.

My Girl is from 20Km North of Digos...I know the area well. A Dominar with knobbies or Honda XR 150/ Yamaha 125 Dual-sport would be my choices for that area. Dominar if you do lots of road-trips to Davao or one of the Dual-sports if you're just riding into town and back... if you want to stay at your stated budget.

The Versys 300 Kawasaki if you feel like blowing your budget/treating yourself or have ambitions to ride the entire Philippines in comfort and style.

• Like 1

shadow
22 hours ago, lolhahaha said:

Good report. I would still go with the Honda over the Yamaha, mainly for one reason.

The seat.

I prefer a nice wide seat like is on the Honda for my lard arse, rather than a very skinny one such as is on the Yamaha to shove my shorts up where they don't belong.

• Like 3

lolhahaha
18 hours ago, wondersailor said:

I am seriously looking at these two bikes but I will be riding prehap 95/5 to 92/8 highway and city to dirt and rock road. From what i gather, on the road top speed is 80 mph honda,. 50 mph yamaha. Is that about accurate?

Actually I doubt the Honda does over 60Mph easily. I've heard that it'll do about 110kph/70mph but I've never tried. The most I've done is about 90-95k which is about 55mph. It's not really what you want if you want to go fast. Get a 250 if you need to go fast but around here it's too dangerous with all of the moronic tricycle drivers. The engine really starts to get annoying above 80k/50mph imo. I have a cbr250 in the US and that thing is a lot more fun to go fast on even though it tops out at around 100mph. I don't know about the Yamaha but it's probably similar to the XR150.

Edited by lolhahaha
  • Like 2

broden

• Like 1

RR3
On 10/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, lolhahaha said:

Honda XR150L, 12.14 hp

Yamaha XTZ 125, 12.33 hp

Like You said Yamaha is lighter.

Yamaha boys tell me XTZ 125 is Made in Japan, Hondas Made in China/Thai/Indo

They also told an updated Serow 250 coming next year w more power, ABS as opt,  Fi, and disc brakes even rear.

Edited by RR3

Enuff

Been looking at the Suzuki Smash 115, p59,600 brand new. But just found a used 4 month old 2018 with 2,550 km for p37,000 (slightly negotiable).

My buddy tells me these are "throw away" bikes but with proper care and maintenance can last 20 years.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

T.S.
On 10/3/2018 at 8:36 PM, Enuff said:

It was a 2018 Suzuki Smash 115. MSRP is only p58k. I was surprised by the bike especially after finding it was only 115 hp.

8.5 hp... 115 cc ;)

Irenicus
On 10/4/2018 at 8:20 AM, wondersailor said:

Am opening this up for ideas. I need transportation! Am looking for the best all around motorcycle in the Philippines today. My needs: 2 up riding, mostly in city commuting with occasional road trips and some dirt patches (am in the provinces). Probably should be limited to 150 up and dirt bikes are out as my filipina is short and I am too old to ride with a stick up the butt and call it a seat. Any ideas?

Honda Click 150.  If you do mostly city driving it is convenient and super practical. Liquid cooled and smooth as butter.  14 HP.   It's very comfortable on long trips as well.  Fuel efficiency is around 85 mpg.  I have had a YBR125 and Rouser 200NS and the Click is a lot more practical.  I love mine.  Can also carry a ton of groceries as well.  Off road, just go slow.

CLICK-150-BLACK-UPDATED.thumb.jpg.ef9e1dcaa0914973334873688058d7f4.jpg

• Like 3

PhilsFan
2 hours ago, Irenicus said:

Honda Click 150.  If you do mostly city driving it is convenient and super practical. Liquid cooled and smooth as butter.  14 HP.   It's very comfortable on long trips as well.  Fuel efficiency is around 85 mpg.  I have had a YBR125 and Rouser 200NS and the Click is a lot more practical.  I love mine.  Can also carry a ton of groceries as well.  Off road, just go slow.

CLICK-150-BLACK-UPDATED.thumb.jpg.ef9e1dcaa0914973334873688058d7f4.jpg

How did you like the NS 200? 

Irenicus
19 hours ago, PhilsFan said:

How did you like the NS 200? 

It was nice.  Fast and sexxay as heck.  24 hp doesn't seem like a lot but it was double the output of my old YBR125.

Downsides is the limited turning radius (five-point turns to turn around on a road) and it simply being impractical as most of my driving is in and around town. And although not super heavy, it was a bear when stuck in traffic.

When you see a 'big bike' gathering, ask the guys if they also have a scooter - 90 percent of them do.  Big bikes are cool for loooong rides, but scooters are simply more practical.  And the Honda Click's 14 HP gives you a good amount of passing power.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1