Sign in to follow this  
wondersailor

Best All Around Motorcycle In The Philippines Today

wondersailor

Am opening this up for ideas. I need transportation! Am looking for the best all around motorcycle in the Philippines today. My needs: 2 up riding, mostly in city commuting with occasional road trips and some dirt patches (am in the provinces). Probably should be limited to 150 up and dirt bikes are out as my filipina is short and I am too old to ride with a stick up the butt and call it a seat. Any ideas?

• Like 1

bkb1

In the sports/touring class +500 cc, Royal Enfield, Honda, BMW and im sure there others. Check out the manufactures websites you might find something that will suit your needs and budget. There is a thread here called motorcycling in the Philippines or something to that effect, check it out and look at some of the pics...

wondersailor
32 minutes ago, bkb1 said:

In the sports/touring class +500 cc, Royal Enfield, Honda, BMW and im sure there others. Check out the manufactures websites you might find something that will suit your needs and budget. There is a thread here called motorcycling in the Philippines or something to that effect, check it out and look at some of the pics...

Have read the thread but am asking about the practical, the available here and now bikes. I am asking for forum opinions, not direction to sales publications.

Davaoeno

Given your quite precise list of requirements in a bike I would only consider one bike  to fit into the category of " the best all around motorcycle in the Philippines today"

1.  BMW  F 800 R

• Like 1

PhilsFan

How about the Dominar 400? It has a slightly detuned KTM 390 single cylinder engine, lots of torque. Decent ground clearance for a street bike. Low seat height as well. Water cooled/ABS/slipper clutch. Cheap at about $3000USD. Put some Adventure tires on so you have good traction off-road. It's a comfortable and quiet bike your spouse will enjoy riding on. Made in India, the locals have driven them everywhere in harsh conditions and bad roads. Service should be Ok as it's a Rouser product and they are everywhere. As it is a 400, you can drive it in Manila on the freeways, too.

• Like 1

PhilsFan

If your budget is higher, I would definitely recommend the Kawasaki Versys X 300. about $5600USD. Twin Cylinder, water-cooled/ABS/Slipper clutch. Smooth as a sewing machine. It's a street-oriented ADV but VERY capable off-road. I have ridden this bike, it is simply perfect for our riding conditions here in the Phils.

• Like 1

PhilsFan
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

Given your quite precise list of requirements in a bike I would only consider one bike  to fit into the category of " the best all around motorcycle in the Philippines today"

1.  BMW  F 800 R

Too heavy, too expensive to park in sketchy areas and too hard (and expensive) to service here. Also, WAY to heavy if you drop it. 

Edited by PhilsFan
  • Like 1

PhilsFan

3rd choice for me would be the Rouser? 200. Change the tires out for off-road, $2100USD out the door.

bkb1
29 minutes ago, PhilsFan said:

How about the Dominar 400? It has a slightly detuned KTM 390 single cylinder engine, lots of torque. Decent ground clearance for a street bike. Low seat height as well. Water cooled/ABS/slipper clutch. Cheap at about $3000USD. Put some Adventure tires on so you have good traction off-road. It's a comfortable and quiet bike your spouse will enjoy riding on. Made in India, the locals have driven them everywhere in harsh conditions and bad roads. Service should be Ok as it's a Rouser product and they are everywhere. As it is a 400, you can drive it in Manila on the freeways, too.

Some good quality machines come out of India. My honda tmx 150 supremo was made there and it's a solid machine...

• Like 1

Enuff

I rode habal habal yesterday and for the 1st time on back of a bike with good suspension, good power and comfortable ride. I'm 6'4" 300lbs.

It was a 2018 Suzuki Smash 115. MSRP is only p58k. I was surprised by the bike especially after finding it was only 115 hp.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

wondersailor

Enlighten me please, I am only used to riding sport bikes in the US. Is the main difference between street bikes and dual sport in the suspension and tires? Are dual sport tires available in the Philippines ?

Dafey

Dual Sport usually has a higher ground clearance too. You can get all kinds of tires here.

What is your budget? That would give a little more direction on your search.

Also, you said mostly city driving. Cebu City?

How intense are the "dirt patches"?

wondersailor
42 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Dual Sport usually has a higher ground clearance too. You can get all kinds of tires here.

What is your budget? That would give a little more direction on your search.

Also, you said mostly city driving. Cebu City?

How intense are the "dirt patches"?

$2,000-$3,000, not looking to impress (or have it stolen). I live in Digos City, southwest of Davao, approximately 180,000 pop. Mostly driving in town which can be heavy traffic driving . Outside of town there are gaps in paved roads filled with dirt and gravel, somewhat loose, not something I want to attempt with street tires in heavy traffic. I have had unpleasant experiences with that. I know I am trying to find a do everything bike. Compromises will have to be made I' m sure.

• Like 2

Dafey
19 minutes ago, wondersailor said:

Outside of town there are gaps in paved roads filled with dirt and gravel, somewhat loose, not something I want to attempt with street tires in heavy traffic

Gravel is a bitch on a bike no matter what kind of tires you have.

@PhilsFan suggested the Bajaj Dominar. It is mostly street with some adventure bike steroids injected into it. Fuel injected, 6 speed, ABS, Slipper Clutch, triple spark. I believe it's actually a Kawasaki engine, 379cc. They call it a 400 so you could legally get on the highways here. About 146,000 pesos.

Dominar came out about a year and a half ago and had some issues, one of them being heavy vibration at 5000 RPM and higher but these issues have been cured with the new releases at the factory. The problem is, the new bikes are going to the Indian market while the Philippines seems to suck hind tit again and Bajaj dumps the old model on us. The way to tell the difference, (from my research), is that the older bikes have a gold colored engine and the new improved bikes are black engine.

As you can see I've been researching this bike as it is a great hybrid for the Philippines especially if you are larger than most Filipinos. It's powerful, comfortable and loaded with features and can easily take on rough roads/dirt. 

The stock tires are definitely street but you could replace them with something a little chunkier and more aggressive down the road.

Motortrade online will give you price specs and can sell/maintain the Dominar. I'm sure you have a Motortrade in Davao

If it was me...I would muscle through the gravel and rough road on a UM Renegade Commando. You have a dealership in Davao. This bike is assembled in China and is "officially" a US company. The main office is in Miami but the bikes are not street legal in the US. I't a bare bones, cruiser that is super comfy. While being a little heavy for your gravely road it is tall and has good ground clearance. 

That being said UM has a tremendous lineup and is worth you looking at if they have their showroom set up. They are new in Davao and have several crossover bikes that may suit your needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

Just looked at Motortrade...Dominar jumped to 165K. Maybe they are sending us the good stuff now?