Sign in to follow this  
wondersailor

Student Driver's Permit?

wondersailor

I was told today by my local LTO office,,that with a valid US license, that I would be eligible for only a student's driving permit. That even though I have been driving for 49 years that's is the only driving permit available to me. In 6 months, I would be allowed to take both the written and driving tests. Anyone else faced this? I just always knew that my never having a vehicular accident nor moving violation would one day pay off! My one consern is how do I learn to drive as recklessly as a Filipino in only 6 months?

Woolf

That should be wrong

One have to be careful how to ask

What kind of visa do you have ?

Did you ask for a conversion ?

• Like 1

wondersailor

That was told over the phone. Tomorrow morning I am going into the office. The hardest thing for me will be to keep my cool no matter the idiocy.

Woolf
3 minutes ago, wondersailor said:

The hardest thing for me will be to keep my cool no matter the idiocy.

Do NOT show that attitude when you are there 

• Like 2

wondersailor
4 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Do NOT show that attitude when you are there 

I know, I know. I will do my best! Thanks for the link. May have to head to a different immigration office as Davao will not extend my visa at all until one week before the current one expires.

Woolf

From LTO site

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/284-non-professional-driver-s-license.html

1. NEW APPLICATION/CONVERSION

Duly Accomplished Application for Driver's License (ADL);

Valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days from date of application;

Medical Certififcate issued by any licensed practicing physician stating that the applicant is physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise stating his/her impairment; and

In addition, for foreigners, original and photocopy of passport with entry of at least one (1) month and visa duration of at least one (1) year from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by the NSO.

In the event that the applicant is a holder of a valid Foreign Driver's License, the applicant may present the original and photocopy of Foreign Driver's License, if not in English language, original and photocopy of official English translation from Embassy of the issuing country instead of an SP.

That is a conversion

wondersailor

It would be the one year visa that will probably do me in.

Woolf

Here is the REQUIREMENTS for a student permit  (for those without a foreign drivers license)

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/283-student-permit.html

Must be at least seventeen (17) years old.

Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle.

Must be able to read and write in Filipino or english or the applicable local dialect; and

In addition, for foreigners, the applicant must be eighteen (18) years old and must have been in the Philipppines for at least one (1) year from date of application.

wondersailor
21 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Here is the REQUIREMENTS for a student permit  (for those without a foreign drivers license)

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/283-student-permit.html

Like most things here, every governmental office location sets their own rules to a degree. I was told I could get a student permit with having been in country for 2 months, by my local LTO office.

wondersailor

Thanks. My local LTO office said that I would have to be in country for 2 months before application for student permit. No mention of 1 year. 

I think every governmental office locations makes many of their own rules. If worse comes to worse, I might have to walk away from LTO tomorrow with a student permit, better than nothing. Got to love it here, the rediculous is an everyday occurance.

• Like 1

Woolf

with a student permit, you need a person with a pro license in the passenger seat  of the car 

wondersailor
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

with a student permit, you need a person with a pro license in the passenger seat  of the car 

That will not do. Have to see what they say in person tomorrow. May be forced to do LTO office shopping. Oh, Joy.

• Like 1

cookie47
That will not do. Have to see what they say in person tomorrow. May be forced to do LTO office shopping. Oh, Joy.
Join the club

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Enuff

I was at LTO on Friday for my conversion and Tuesday to add motorcycle, here's my take:

Friday around 2:30 pm I was initially told I needed to be in country 1 year before I can do the conversion. After I chatted with her boss and pointed out the the law I was able to proceed.

Drug screen, physical and 1.5 hrs later I had my non-professional drivers license for a car (was told if I did motorcycle 1st I'd need another drug screen to add car).

Tuesday I show up at 8am, 1st thing I'm told is I need drug screen. I said no, that lady said I didn't need it to add motorcycle. Oh, talk to her then. I waited for her and no drug screen required just the motorcycle exam (not sure if written or actual riding exam). 3 hours later I was done. I didn't take any exams but I paid for them.

Going back this morning at 8am for plastic license.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk