Sign in to follow this  
Jawny

Use of FedEx from Ormoc City, cautionary info

Jawny

I decided to send a document via FedEx to the USA last week.  On Thursday, I dropped off the document at the Ormoc City shipper.  FedEx has opted to use 2Go as their in country shipper.  Fair enough, and I’ve read a lot about why FedEx does this.  

The office, such as it was, is in the bus terminal.  The usual friendly and reasonable efficiency.  I filled out the form for shipment, paid for the delivery and left.  First cautionary note is to remember to get a usable phone number before leaving.  All of the phone numbers listed on the FedEx and 2Go websites were useless.

By Saturday, I decided to check the tracking number on the receipt and it did not work.  I tried much of the day, so finally decided to use an email contact of FedEx.  I knew that could be problematic, since without a tracking number the parcel essentially didn’t exist in their system.  

I did get a semi useful response from FedEx, but only after about a half day of waiting.  Basically, "we'll look into it".  By Sunday, I was again writing FedEx and getting similar language.  No tracking yet.

Never was able to get in touch with the 2Go office in Ormoc  

Finally, today I went to the 2Go office and got their assurances the parcel was delivered by ferry last Thursday.  They had a confirmation it had been sent and received.  They offered me two phone numbers to call in Cebu, but I never got an answer.  After multiple tries, the 2Go guy in Ormoc gave one more number which sounded like the actual FedEx staff ( by now I had his contact number) Ibelieve the prior numbers in Cebu were just his 2Go counterparts not FedEx employees  

Well, within an hour I found out the parcel did indeed get onto the 2:00pm flight today and it is now in the system.  Expected delivery in Texas is Wednesday this week.  

Of course, being this is the Philippines, I also got the real story in the form of gossip.  The parcel had arrived to Cebu, but only at the 2Go terminal, pier 1.  The 2Go person who was to get the parcel passed on to the actual FedEx staff (somewhere near SM mall) had gotten sick.  So, the parcel sat undetected until Monday. Once it got to the proper place it was processed exactly as FedEx would have expected.

For those of you using FedEx from Cebu dropoff points, it may be less of an issue.  In my case, the guy in Ormoc assumed once received, it was done.  He was correct, but since there was no follow up except by me, the delay of three days was caused by the simple incompetence of minimal management oversight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cgu
2 minutes ago, Jawny said:

For those of you using FedEx from Cebu dropoff points, it may be less of an issue.

Thanks, but I would not recommend FedEx in Cebu for in or outbound (through Manila no problems). You can certainly be lucky, but better not take any chance.

• Like 2

Jawny

Recommendations?

jtmwatchbiz

we have used fedex in cebu constantly over the years for shipping valuables and so far so good but i can't say we aren't anxious until we are told the package was received.  for in-country shipping we use LBC and are never worried. 

• Like 3

Cgu
5 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Recommendations?

For inbound I always use Manila address and then send it here. I think FedEx has a problem here at the customs. In Manila it gets cleared straight away. For outbound I still use FedEx and pray....:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

.  for in-country shipping we use LBC and are never worried. 

How long does it take to be cleared (for packages)? 

jtmwatchbiz
13 minutes ago, Cgu said:

How long does it take to be cleared (for packages)? 

i don't think there is any "clearing" for domestic shipping with LBC.  if we ship in the morning from cebu city to manila it usually arrives at the manila address the next day. 

• Like 1

Cgu
3 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

i don't think there is any "clearing" for domestic shipping with LBC.  if we ship in the morning from cebu city to manila it usually arrives at the manila address the next day. 

Ooh, I thought the post was about international shipping. Domestic I use LBC as well. 

41 minutes ago, Jawny said:

For those of you using FedEx from Cebu dropoff points, it may be less of an issue

Edited by Cgu

jtmwatchbiz
5 minutes ago, Cgu said:

Ooh, I thought the post was about international shipping. Domestic I use LBC as well.

yes LBC-wise i probably should have said domestic rather than in-country. 

yingy52
27 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Recommendations?

I think that there is an RAO branch in Cebu. If you open an account there it's the same as the mail in the US. Whatever mail you send from there is routed through the US Embassy and from there directly to the US. It's how I have been filing my taxes for the last 14 years. Very small fee. P150 per month plus the cost of whatever you send. You also receive mail from the US at their address. They will then LBC whatever mail you receive to your home address. 

• Like 1

profits101

I use FedEx frequently from Cebu City and it's generally a very good experience. I have sent about 20 crates back to the US in this manner. For what I'm doing, I have to fill out quite a bit of paperwork to get through US Customs, but I've learned. At this point, I usually have to somewhat educate the FedEx call person - usually originating in Pampanga - about the US Customs procedures and requirements. When the pick-up occurs, I like to see them paste the tracking numbers on the crates. Also, I usually make triple copies of any paperwork, and they take them all. I also scan any paperwork. In a way, working at beating them at their own bureaucratic game is a pretty good approach haha. The Tracking is actually quite fantastic, and I'm amazed by the locations these things will go to - China, Japan, Korea, Alaska, Oakland, before being final delivery in USA. The crates can get manhandled, but I try to allow for it with the best packing I can figure out. Only small thing I would throw out, if you are using credit card, is to be sure your account is billed in USD vs PHP, otherwise you will get additional foreign transaction fees. A small inefficiency is 2GO almost always delivers paper receipts to me a week or so later via motorcycle. Really, I already have the online delivery receipt - it's a waste, but it's also very filipino ha. I sign to receive the receipts. When I have had to call Pampanga for any other reason, they are fairly efficient and diligent. Sometimes its a matter of asking a lot, or the right questions to get to the bottom of something, but they are professional and patient - I'm sure they're trained to be that way in call-centre fashion. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 5.47.46 PM.png

Edited by profits101
add photo
  • Like 2

Jawny
28 minutes ago, yingy52 said:

I think that there is an RAO branch in Cebu. If you open an account there it's the same as the mail in the US. Whatever mail you send from there is routed through the US Embassy and from there directly to the US. It's how I have been filing my taxes for the last 14 years. Very small fee. P150 per month plus the cost of whatever you send. You also receive mail from the US at their address. They will then LBC whatever mail you receive to your home address. 

RAO is not available to all LinC members. I typically use philpost for mail, including taxes. The reason I used FedEx this time was to ensure delivery in a shorter period. Philpost is very slow with registered mail.  

Jawny

If I were to use FedEx again, I’d make the trip to Cebu. I have no problem with FedEx (limited experience). It is the 2Go agents I have a problem with. With unreliable phone contact, it is more difficult to follow up.  Within Cebu, a follow up can be done in person if necessary. 

For in country stuff I use LBC. Lately I’ve been getting lazada stuff from Ninja Express. Ok.

Bama
7 minutes ago, Jawny said:

f I were to use FedEx again, I’d make the trip to Cebu. I have no problem with FedEx (limited experience). It is the 2Go agents I have a problem with

Same here with 2Go agents---they aren't the most competent has been my experience.Proper training might be the issue.

I sent a envelope of documents to the US Embassy.The 2Go (FedEx) agent went through them and then picked up the phone.Paraphrasing here.

"The envelope has a staple attached to the documents--is that OK"-----yes she found out.

Another call.

"The envelope has a paper clip holding some docs together----is that OK"---yes she found out.

Another call.

"The envelope has a cashiers check in it---is that OK"---yes she found out.

3 phone calls to get answers to 3 no brainer questions IMO. Anyway now its time to pay.Don't recall the exact numbers here but lets say it was 1247 PHP so I gave her 1300PHP. Sorry sir---no change.None. I had to dig through the car,etc to provide the exact amount.Not the way that I would run a business if so inclined.

Soupeod
2 hours ago, Jawny said:

Recommendations?

I mailed some documents at the post office in Ormoc... arrived in the US in four days... no issues at all.

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, profits101 said:

I have sent about 20 crates back to the US in this manner.

i just seen those pictures you added.  i shudder to think what it cost to fedex one of them to the USA :biggrin_01: