Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

ANyone fallen for the new credit card scam?

lolhahaha

Yep, I had them ask me a couple times too and I already know that my bank (NFCU) gives me the best rate and doesn't charge for transactions either. I didn't know it would be much of a difference though. Glad you brought it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rickparkinson

When I was there this past June I was asked at the locate SM all the time. Didn't understand what was going on so I always said Peso. Figured they were trying to get more money out of me than the actual cost. I used Amex and Fidelity cards and a couple of times I said dollar, but I didn't see any difference. Maybe to small of an amount to matter. Then scurvy dogs, mangy mutts! They are just out to make a buck, like anyone else, I guess.

RangerUp
On 10/1/2018 at 9:53 AM, SkyMan said:

I always say pesos because I know the exchange rate I get on my card and it's much better than the local bank rate

And even if you include the card's foreign transaction fee, you'll still pay less if you pay in pesos.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, rickparkinson said:

Figured they were trying to get more money out of me than the actual cost.

You got it.

lolhahaha

The difference between pesos and dollars on Agoda the other day turned out to be about 10%. I always pay in pesos but you can check dollars and then calculate with the current exchange rate to see how far they want to bend you over.

Goetz1965

Thats why I use my local bank card and only use credit card in cases there's really no other payment possible !

Dafey

Not sure I understand...does the retailer actually make more money one way or another? Or...does it just cost me more in the exchange?

I've never had anyone ask?

SkyMan
52 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Not sure I understand...does the retailer actually make more money one way or another? Or...does it just cost me more in the exchange?

I've never had anyone ask?

I believe it's the bank that takes the extra money by offering you what seems like may  be a convenience. It may be that the bank gives the retailer a small break on their rate to give them incentive to push the scam. I bought a ticket on CP once and it was offered and they listed the rate you get if paying in $ but as a trick it was the peso to $ rate most aren't familiar with because few of us ever buy $ with pesos.  The rate was carp and turned out it would have cost about 6% more.  No thanks.